Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I had a major operation in March this year. The bill total for hospital care only was jut under $69k. The negotiated deal brought it done to just a bit more than $15k. In my book that is NEGOTIATING and i cannot ssee how i got gouged.
The same is true regardless of one having insurance, or paying cash..

Billed amounts on a hospital visits are a joke.. Thats the real problem in america, that people think they hold relevance and then scream that their hospital visit was $69K and thus they need insurance to cover everything without understanding that they cover far less than the billed amount.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This is the Pubbies' biggest fear: when all the dust settles, people will find out that the ACA didn't cause the sky to fall and that they were lied to by their Republican representatives about how "awful" the ACA was going to be for them ... and this goes triple for the Tea Partyers who were the biggest liars.
Whether or not ACA is good or bad for most people, doesn't it embarrass you even a little bit to rip the R's or Tea Party for lying when the #! liar is the prez.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's why the OP's argument was a fallacy on its face. Correlation does not equal causation. The OP is arguing that since Republicans are buying a product (which is mandated), then they must like it. Polling shows that to be untrue.
Exactly.. and those who had insurance and lost it, clearly would resign back up to re-obtain insurance, and no one should be shocked by that taking place.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Exactly.. and those who had insurance and lost it, clearly would resign back up to re-obtain insurance, and no one should be shocked by that taking place.
I agree. If my insurance company didn't decide to extend my own for another year, I would be that person. I want insurance and yet I still disagree and do not like Obamacare. If I go and buy a policy next year, that will not signal my agreement with Obamacare. It just means I needed to buy an insurance policy.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
As long as they don't mess with the ban on pre-existing conditions, I'm not particularly passionate about other aspects of the ACA.

It is critical to clear out the free riders, but if somebody's got a way of doing that other than the individual mandate I'm open to hearing it.

In the big picture we need to bend the cost of medical care downward and be sure that our physicians are not being squeezed. We also need to get a grip on Big Pharma.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Of course, everybody knows that older white poorer Republicans, i.e. tea party types, are big beneficiaries of government health care.
For some odd reason, Obama and the Democrats actually wanted the young and minorities to subsidize health care for old, supposedly racist Republicans. Imagine that...

Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The final numbers were 164,000 signed up for the ACA and 450,000 signed up for Medicaid. What hurts the Tea Party-Republican base is that so many of the people who signed up for Medicaid were in their districts. If Idaho and Montana had signed on to Medicaid it would have seriously hurt the Tea Party in the NW. Now Republicans in Idaho and Montana can blame Obama for not extending Medicaid into their states...this is sarcasm. The Tea Party RSC is looking at going into summer recess wanting to blame Obama for Obamacare yet they dont have a plan in place and now a good part of their base is covered by the ACA. So if you are a Tea Partier what do you tell your neighbor, son, daughter, etc that you want to get rid of their health insurance and they get nothing?

Washington state enrolls more than 600,000 for health coverage - Spokesman.com - April 24, 2014
Read the fine print.

"As part of that total, more than 450,000 adults obtained new coverage under Medicaid, the federal-state program for the poor and disabled. As of the most recent numbers through April 17, two-thirds of those, or about 300,000, were newly eligible for the program, while the rest were previously eligible but did not sign up until the open enrollment period."

You are close to an 80% Medicaid vs a 20% exchange sign up ratio. The intent of the ACA was supposed to be a 50/50 ratio.

What makes it even worst is the pumping up of true measures of ACA numbers. How many of the 164k who singed up for ACA exchanges were previously uninsured? We don't know. That's the key number. If you are shifting from private insurance to ACA private insurance due to subsidies. You aren't gaining any new paying customers. You aren't providing affordable care outside of giving free Medicaid away. You aren't providing enough subsidies to those uninsured to buy plans on the exchanges. It's not a sustainable plan. That's why 30 million will still remain uninsured.

Plus out of those 450k Medicaid sit ups. 150k would have been eligible pre ACA

So your 600k sign up numbers are looking smaller and smaller.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Cathy McMorris Rodgers acknowledging that her conservative districts is a big beneficiary of Obamacare thinks its time to move past trying to repeal the ACA. She if one of the first Republicans to fold on this issue. Of course is it any wonder when about 25% of her supporters are on Medicaid or signed up for the ACA in some parts of her district. Pretty hard to have a town hall meeting expecting the usual suspect Tea Party-Medicare recipients showing up complaining about big gubbermint and finding you have a whole lot of people on Medicaid and and ACA showing up who voted for you asking you why you want to get rid of their health care? The Spokane District she represents is the perfect microcosm of Republican politics...mostly white and very dependent on the government while they complain about the government.

McMorris Rodgers says ACA likely to stay - Spokesman.com - April 25, 2014

The PJ Tatler » McMorris Rodgers: Obamacare Is Here to Stay
I fail to see how the millions of people who already had health insurance policies benifitted from bureaucrats telling them which policies the must purchase, or be punished.

How does signing up for health care insurance equate to Obamacare is here to stay? It's just insurance, and in most all cases, we already had insurance that we liked.

It's simple, repeal Obamacare and the people can go back to buying the policies they want, not the ones bureaucrats told them they must buy.

Oh noooooes, whatever will we do if Obama isn't changing the health care insurance rules every day.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Isn't it a law you have to sign up?
No, I do not have to sign up. They can charge me a fine...how are they going to get it? From my tax refund? WHAT tax refund?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 AM

947 posts, read 1,465,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I fail to see how the millions of people who already had health insurance policies benifitted from bureaucrats telling them which policies the must purchase, or be punished.

How does signing up for health care insurance equate to Obamacare is here to stay? It's just insurance, and in most all cases, we already had insurance that we liked.

It's simple, repeal Obamacare and the people can go back to buying the policies they want, not the ones bureaucrats told them they must buy.

Oh noooooes, whatever will we do if Obama isn't changing the health care insurance rules every day.
Bureaucrats tell you what health insurance plans to buy under the old system. It was just ones that were hired by the private healthcare companies. of course when people tried to use those health insurance plans under the old system they were often told they were invalid despite being paid into for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.