Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, like our daughter and her husband. Both have been forced into early retirement due to company cut backs. They will be stuck with no choice but to sign up for Obama care. It is costing them about triple what they were paying before their company cut backs.

Thank You for always being true. I have had friends just at the beginning of the week and last week, that actually called the W.H. Yes to say they are pissed is a complete utter understatement.

Their premiums have skyrocketed. And no they are not happy campers. So yes they really called the W.H. Now if they have gotten thru, I do not know, have not spoke to them since.

What the hell good is it to the people that truly had a good plan, a great Doctor, a great plan. But now their premiums have definitely gone up. Why! Some people I know have been force to sign up for Obama Care. Why. My friends are pissed off to know end. I do know many small companies where they have been force to cut backs, and this is the chit.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,709 times
What folks don't seem to understand is that if they got their health insurance through an employer, they were not being charged the full amount for coverage. So naturally, when you no longer have your employer picking up 2/3rds of the cost, you're going to be paying more for coverage...esp. if you are trying to acquire a higher level plan.

This is not because of the ACA. This is how it was before the ACA. Blame greedy insurance companies.

The insured are, however, guaranteed certain things. No payment caps. No pre-existing condition rejections. Controlled deductible amounts.

By the way, those employee-provided plans...they get a big tax deduction from the Feds for it. So you were subsidizing it anyway.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Over one million more than were projected with the final numbers coming in. Only 27% of the enrollees were between 18 and 34. However that means that almost 6 million were over 35 with many in the what could be considered the Republican base between 50-64. Do you think those people are going to be responding to the Republican plan of repeal and lose their insurance and possible subsidies? The Republicans dont have a plan as the RSC admits since nothing has ever been voted on since 2010. Shouldn't Republicans be coming up with a plan rather than telling the 8 million sorry about your health insurance but we have ours?

Obamacare final enrollment hits 8 million
Aren't we gullible?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
What folks don't seem to understand is that if they got their health insurance through an employer, they were not being charged the full amount for coverage. So naturally, when you no longer have your employer picking up 2/3rds of the cost, you're going to be paying more for coverage...esp. if you are trying to acquire a higher level plan.

This is not because of the ACA. This is how it was before the ACA. Blame greedy insurance companies.

The insured are, however, guaranteed certain things. No payment caps. No pre-existing condition rejections. Controlled deductible amounts.

By the way, those employee-provided plans...they get a big tax deduction from the Feds for it. So you were subsidizing it anyway.
Ooh I cant take anymore stupidity..

writing off a business expense of health insurance isnt a subsidy, and companies picking up much of the cost of insurance for their employees has nothing to do with "greedy insurance companies"..

its a benefit package.. Just stop...

Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You are simply talking about repealing the ACA and talking about the saving without the ACA. As an example the ACA using your figures of about 10 million will cost about $3500 for each insured individual. The cost of the ACA is $35 billion this year. Three programs that you no doubt support Medicare, Tricare, VA will cost taxpayers $580 billion. These program will insure about 65 million at a cost of about $9,000 each. But under conservative-Republican logic $3500 is more than $9,000 and is a total disaster.

Medicare taxes are paid by the recipients.

Tricare and VA benefits are for people who serve in the military.

These have what to do with anything?

Sticking middle-aged men with mandated maternity care or post menapuasal women with mandated pediatric care isn't included in your numbers and more the real issue as are sky rocketing premiums and huge deductibles that make these policies all but useless.

We really don't know what the final cost of Obamacare will be because El Presidente Obama has decided to rewrite the law numerous times in hopes of delaying the final sticker shock and impact on the job market until he is out of office.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
-I don't believe the numbers
-leeches
-nobody is paying
-more leeches

That about sums the Rushbot posts/lies/pitiful rationalizations that are sure to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
But how many have actually paid?

That drops your figure down to about 5 million.

But keep trying.
No one is paying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Non payers who received healthcare before they were cancelled are considered legit by the leeches.
Leeches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let's wait a bit. Maybe they'll get further revised to 10 million.
I don't believe the numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm starting to hear good things more and more often about Obamacare.

Retirees in my company have to pay 100% of their healthcare. The going rate for most is around $1500 per month for the employee and their spouse.

I heard that a guy I used to work with dropped that and signed up for MnSure which is under the Obamacare umbrella. $800.00 per month for the same coverage with a lower deductible.
Skyrocking prices!

(I forgot to include this one in the list of right-wing excuses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Aren't we gullible?
I don't believe the numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, like our daughter and her husband. Both have been forced into early retirement due to company cut backs. They will be stuck with no choice but to sign up for Obama care. It is costing them about triple what they were paying before their company cut backs.
Skyrocketing premiums!

(Ever notice that not one right-winger has seen a reduction in costs. What an amazing coincidence!)

Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
-I don't believe the numbers
-leeches
-nobody is paying
-more leeches

That about sums the Rushbot posts/lies/pitiful rationalizations that are sure to come.
So it seems

Old 04-18-2014, 06:15 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Why shouldn't they increase participation on the exchanges ? Despite losing money this year, they know another 7 million or more will lose insurance next year, a big base for newly uninsured to join the ranks of newly insured on exchanges. If they lose more money, so what, the risk corridor bailout is there.

Then we have the 'one hand washes the other' business approach ---

'UnitedHealth's health-care technology division, Optum, has emerged as a major player in the marketplaces. It helped repair HealthCare.gov, as well as a few broken state-run exchange Web sites. The company said the unit saw revenue rise 29 percent from this quarter a year ago, and it expects to take on more business as a result of its work to rescue HealthCare.gov.'
Smh, this is all conservatives have to offer fact free assertions like the insurance companies are losing money.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What caused the spike in the uninsured ?
mindless speculation is worthless. The increase started in 2012. In order for it to fit your narrative it would have to have occurred at the end of 2013. The chart doesn't show that.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
We've all seen the graph of uninsured.

Can a normal person reason from the time Bush 43 left office (Jan 2009) uninsured rate was around the same as when the ACA took place (Jan 2014)?

What exactly has Obama accomplished in 5 years?

Especially since he added all these pediatric patients (because pre existing conditions were eliminated in 2010 for pediatrics patients) along with insurers letting young adults onto their parent's plans.

I would have expected all these "millions of pre existing pediatric patients" getting insurance since Sept 2010 would have drove down the rate of the uninsured.

Wait, maybe my assumption was correct. The number of kids uninsured due to pre existing conditions are so small it won't make a dent in the number of uninsured.
I don't know what you have seen and I don't really care.

Since you all want to speculate about the increase, I'll give my mindless speculation.

There was a recession, a lot of people lost jobs. When people lose jobs, they lose insurance, their spouse may lose their insurance and their children may lose their insurance.

What offset those jobs loses so that the uninsured rate slightly increased even while hundreds of thousands of people every month were losing jobs in 2008-2009, are a few factors.

First, some people who lost insurance and who were married simply switched to their spouse's insurance.

Some people who lost a job gained insurance through qualifying for Medicaid, and some young adults after the ACA was passed in 2010 and the age 26 thing went into effect, were able to stay on their parents insurance.

I think all of those factors combined to keep the uninsured rate from spiking, plus a lot more people are aging and thus qualifying for Medicare that is another huge factor in keeping down the rate of the uninsured.

I think as some people started getting jobs, a lot of people who qualified for Medicaid lost medicaid after gaining employment and thus those people and their children or spouses lost their insurance as well.

This steady increase in people getting jobs but not getting employer provided insurance I think is mostly to blame for the more pronounced increase in the uninsured starting in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies