Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sure a $6K/yr plan with a $5K deductible.

What is affordable about that?
Still cheaper then my insurance in 2012.....

Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I think if doctors are going to discriminate against patients because they have ideological objections to how the patient came by his insurance, that doctor out to do the right thing, and leave the profession.
This seems to be the generic answer to everything. "If you don't like it you can leave!"

Well folks, people are pouring out of blue states to live in red states. Doctors ARE leaving the profession to get away from thousands of nonsensical overlapping and overreaching rules and regulations. The wealthy people giving up their citizenship has more than quadrupled over the last few years.

At some point, I can imagine we may need to build gauntlets to keep citizens in. Maybe we can hire Russia to build them since they have much more experience at such things.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
WARS.

Here is an article that says it goes as far back as the Civil War...

"World War I, which ended 94 years ago, continues to cost taxpayers about $20 million every year. World War II? $5 billion.
We're trillions in debt and your blaming billions.

wow

Old 04-27-2014, 09:31 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Of course, everybody knows that older white poorer Republicans, i.e. tea party types, are big beneficiaries of government health care.

...that they already paid for.

You left that part out...the part about these people having the money used for medicare taken from their paychecks over the many decades that they worked.

You also didn't mention that the confiscated money was siphoned-off for other vote buying programs.

Still haven't heard anything about a buy-out program for people who have been forced to pay for Medicare and SS.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
McMorris Rodgers voted 54 times to repeal Obamacare. Somebody probably told her that 50,000 people in her district have signed up for the ACA. Those are mostly adults who work and vote. Thats probably 15% of the voters in her district. So do you tell them you are going to take their insurance away and have absolutely no plan? Here is a link to the article that mentions the sign-ups in her district. The final numbers are probably closer to 60,000.

As GOP grumbles, many more now insured | Local News | The Seattle Times

OK, if my math is correct Medicaid increased from 1.2 million to 1.5 million.

That's an increase of 300,000 on the Medicaid rolls.

"The Medicaid program in the state has grown 25 percent since October, from 1.2 million to 1.5 million."

The net increase of insured is 375,000 and the writer is claiming "(most simply signed up for a new one with their same company)."

"Statewide, about 375,000 people have insurance due to this law."

"Most" would be the 300,000 and not 75,000.

That means "most" signed up for Medicaid.

As GOP grumbles, many more now insured | Local News | The Seattle Times

Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
The final numbers were 164,000 signed up for the ACA and 450,000 signed up for Medicaid. What hurts the Tea Party-Republican base is that so many of the people who signed up for Medicaid were in their districts. If Idaho and Montana had signed on to Medicaid it would have seriously hurt the Tea Party in the NW. Now Republicans in Idaho and Montana can blame Obama for not extending Medicaid into their states...this is sarcasm. The Tea Party RSC is looking at going into summer recess wanting to blame Obama for Obamacare yet they dont have a plan in place and now a good part of their base is covered by the ACA. So if you are a Tea Partier what do you tell your neighbor, son, daughter, etc that you want to get rid of their health insurance and they get nothing?

Washington state enrolls more than 600,000 for health coverage - Spokesman.com - April 24, 2014

Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
In the end the feds are tapping the same resource the states are; taxpayers. States have more power to tax than the feds do because they have access to sales, property, etc. - levers which the fed generally doesn't pull - in addition to income, payroll, etc. Further, many states have more favorable environment in terms of health needs, resource availability, and political will. A state like Vermont will have a much easier time - not harder - than the feds would.

As for "new money creation," well, the current vogue belief among some parts of the left that you can print money and that will expand real parts of the economy like some kind of magic is really dangerous. Sure, if you're in a Keynesian demand slump fiscal/monetary expansion can in the short-term be helpful, but it's not outside of that scenario and in the end you are providing people with healthcare -- doctor visits, hospital stays, medical equipment, drugs, physical therapy, nursing, etc. These are real things that require real people to do real work, and you can't magically wish more resources into existence by expanding the monetary base. You don't get infinite growth that way - you get modern-day Venezuela, or Zimbabwe of several years back.
Feds can create money, the states cannot. And as our country grows it needs more money. But no one suggests an 'infinite' amount of money.

In the end it will not be a lack of money that limits us. The limit will be in our limits of the supply of medical resources and services to take care of all the people.

Just like WW2 where it was not the money, it was total output.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:26 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
WARS.

Here is an article that says it goes as far back as the Civil War...

America Is STILL Paying For The Civil War - Business Insider

"At the 10 year anniversary of the start of the Iraq war, more than $40 billion a year are going to compensate veterans and survivors from the Spanish-American War from 1898, World War I and II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the two Iraq campaigns and the Afghanistan conflict. And those costs are rising rapidly."

"World War I, which ended 94 years ago, continues to cost taxpayers about $20 million every year. World War II? $5 billion.

Each generation should be made to bear the burden of its own wars, instead of carrying them on, at the expense of other generations - James Madison

Guess that's not happening
VA benefits coming out of the Gulf War, Iraq War and Afghanistan will dwarf all other wars. Guess who supports all this spending which is now $160 billion per year...their initals are TP.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
no think its going anywhere really. the problem is will it fiscally work out. the plan needs funding that depends on certain people signing up and not making claims or low amount of claims and funding the taxpayer subsidty for many plus large state increase in Medicaid funding starting 2017. Then even the premiums are based on actuary estimates first year and if claims are high first year they will be made up second year.. its really no different than now when insurance companies were allowed 20%of claims as gross profit except there is talk about 22% being allow because of problems in who enrolled.Theer is no magic I claims versus cost really. and spreading cost over pools of insured.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:53 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The final numbers were 164,000 signed up for the ACA and 450,000 signed up for Medicaid. What hurts the Tea Party-Republican base is that so many of the people who signed up for Medicaid were in their districts. If Idaho and Montana had signed on to Medicaid it would have seriously hurt the Tea Party in the NW. Now Republicans in Idaho and Montana can blame Obama for not extending Medicaid into their states...this is sarcasm. The Tea Party RSC is looking at going into summer recess wanting to blame Obama for Obamacare yet they dont have a plan in place and now a good part of their base is covered by the ACA. So if you are a Tea Partier what do you tell your neighbor, son, daughter, etc that you want to get rid of their health insurance and they get nothing?

Washington state enrolls more than 600,000 for health coverage - Spokesman.com - April 24, 2014
I honestly don't think people have any inkling of how messed up the healthcare system is until them or there family has to deal with a serious chronic health condition. I have already had two chronic issues that will follow me for the rest of my life, each no fault of my own what so ever. One i was born with and the other that I contracted (my family had no history of it and I was pretty healthy when I got the diagnosis. . Each time I have had to deal with both, its been a hassle to deal with the private insurance company. I would rather deal with anybody else, even the DMV, compared to the private insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
no think its going anywhere really. the problem is will it fiscally work out. the plan needs funding that depends on certain people signing up and not making claims or low amount of claims and funding the taxpayer subsidty for many plus large state increase in Medicaid funding starting 2017. Then even the premiums are based on actuary estimates first year and if claims are high first year they will be made up second year.. its really no different than now when insurance companies were allowed 20%of claims as gross profit except there is talk about 22% being allow because of problems in who enrolled.Theer is no magic I claims versus cost really. and spreading cost over pools of insured.
Part of the problem was that the ACA didn't do enough to tackle the main issue of healthcare in America; costs. I didn't stop hospitals or the pharmaceutical industry from pricing gouging Americans. Hopefully, in the future, we can figure a way to rein in costs. I will say this: If it wasn't for the ACA, I might have ended up paralyzed and had a lower quality of life. So far that, I am grateful for the ACA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.