Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,839,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you act like you're going to be 35 years old forever

i think you're confusing the ACA with Medicare.

Medicare is the big cause of federal budget deficits.
I act like believe people should be able to make decision for themselves without the government telling them what to do and who else they should have to pay for

Obamacare will end up running huge deficits for insurance companies that the Feds, this tax payers, will have to cover. Doctors are already being rationed, waiting lists for coverage and procedures etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,538,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I act like believe people should be able to make decision for themselves without the government telling them what to do and who else they should have to pay for.
Are you an anarchist? We are a country of laws. All law acts to tell us what to do (and not do), and it also tells us who gets paid.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You mean there arent that many Tea Partiers out there? It sounds all together plausible to me, especially if someone has been laid off and lost their insurance. If you get disabled, sick, etc you go on Medicaid if you dont have insurance,then SS and after two years migrate to Medicare. I dont have any problem with this except if their income was great enough combined that they could have insurance. Now somebody with this condition would be able to sign up for Medicaid easier depending on the state or if they had a job without insurance be able to get insurance through the ACA even with cancer.
A Cancer diagnosis does not automatically qualify someone for Medicaid/SSDI.
Most people are not permanently disabled by Cancer, especially if it's caught early enough and is treated. The workplace is filled with people who are battling Cancer.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,279,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
now the truth

cost 22k

cost to individual $100
COST TO TAXPAYERS...21,900
Was the guy on Medicaid? If not, then the taxpayers didn't pay for his operation. I suppose you could say that we paid for his premium, but that would have been only a couple hundred dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
49 states mandate drivers maintain a baseline of auto insurance. The amount of insurance varies state to state. Some states also requires drivers to maintain coverage for uninsured drivers.

The primary purpose of auto liability insurance is to pay for the other person's bodily injuries and car damage when you are at fault. It does not pay your medical expenses when you are at fault.

There is at least one state with a bodily injury limit of only $12,500. Most states have limits of $15,000. This likely will not cover the cost of the ER, let alone hospitalization, surgery, medications, MDs, rehabilitation and so on.
I live in the same state as you and my insurance covers medical expenses when I am at fault.

Quote:
And again, if you are at fault or were found to be intoxicated at the time of the accident, your insurance pays $0.
Auto insurance typically won't pay out if you are committing a felony, but just intoxication isn't going to preclude covered events.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,248,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
So you think people should be denied based on pre-existing conditions?
Maybe we could have just passed a law that insurance companies couldn't deny based on pre-existing conditions, or charge more for them? That would have made the cost of health care insurance much more expensive than it was before (as everyone else subsidized those with subsidized pre-existing conditions), but it would have been MUCH less expensive than making it impossible to buy health insurance that didn't cover everything in the world, including coverage that you will never need (like full mental health care and child-related benefits).

For the cost of Obamacare, we could have established a system like the military has (they pay for medical school for a few years of service as a doctor), and provided FREE health care for anyone who couldn't afford the market-based system. I'm not sure Obama could have found a more wasteful way to spend $2 trillion of taxpayer funds over the next 10 years, considering insurance is now more than double what it was before, and anyone buying it under the Exchanges gets so little for such huge premiums that they will STILL go bankrupt if they get sick.

It should be obvious that you can't have a market-based health care system (that basically doubles costs while giving worse overall national health care), and simply dictate that the taxpayer pay whatever it costs to give everyone in the nation the most expensive health care that money can buy. The taxpayer is already on the hook for far more in promised benefits for Social Security ALONE, let alone all the other things the government has added to their tab. The national debt alone--money borrowed by Big Government so they could overspend in the past, on which the taxpayer pays interest--is now over $1.1 million per taxpayer (U.S. National Debt: $1.1 Million Per Taxpayer - Forbes).

Old 03-18-2014, 02:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,901,005 times
It was discovered and reported yesterday that anyone can op out of that horrible obamacare for any reason. Bill O'Reilly just said on his Factor Newscast that Obamacare has a Hardship Claus in it, so if it's a burden on you, you may be able to opt-out. All you need to do is say it was too hard to navigate the website to sign up, and you're home free.
The communist plan had completely fallen apart.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:35 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,770,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I act like believe people should be able to make decision for themselves without the government telling them what to do and who else they should have to pay for
that view is unrealistic in the context of healthcare.

even the most conservative, small-government tea partiers don't want to see uninsured people left to die in the street without any care at all.

Quote:
Obamacare will end up running huge deficits for insurance companies that the Feds, this tax payers, will have to cover. Doctors are already being rationed, waiting lists for coverage and procedures etc.
ok

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Your breakdown is inaccurate:

Cost to him without insurance: $22k
Cost to the collective risk pool (other people) of some insurer without insurance: $0k

Cost to him with insurance: $100
Cost to the collective risk pool (other people) of some insurer with insurance: $21,900

The cost of the procedure didn't change. All insurance did was shift who paid it. The way it works with health insurance is that healthy people like me who never incur medical costs, yet pay a lot in premiums, paid $21.9k of his $22k bill, so that he could feel like the bill itself got cheaper. So instead of him paying for his appendectomy, a couple hundred thousand other people did.
And he spent 10 years not getting sick paying into his insurance..... considering that when we worked together we each paid $200 a month as individuals with our work sponsored insurance plan, for 18 months (and the cobra cost for that plan was $500), between him and our employer, that $7200 covering 15% of his working life. Now let's say, for 8 of those years insurance was cheaper for him (and his employer) and only $250 a month, well he paid over $30k into insurance, more than covering the $22k it just cost to get his appendix fixed.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times
Quote:
Insurance doesn't fix that, emergency treatment from a doctor does. Insurance lowers the cost of that treatment to the patient by spreading it around to a few million people who pay premiums.

Insurance has never once saved a life. Medical treatment does. Insurance protects money, not health. Homeowner insurance doesn't prevent fire, it simply replaces what fire burns. Auto insurance doesn't prevent wrecks, it simply pays for repairs or new cars in case of wrecks. And insurance does not save lives, it simply dilutes the financial burden of having one's life/health saved/improved.

I could go to the ER, a doctor's office, or the dentist today and say I have no insurance and still get treatment. I would do it the same way I pay for all manner of services...with money in my bank account. You always could do that, before or after ObamaCare.
Those who can pay cash for medical services will not be denied medical care.

A 1986 law mandates ERs to "stabilize" patients regardless of the patient's ability to pay, at the time of service. That the law requires ERs to stabilize, does not mean they will not bill and seek collection from an uninsured patient. The patient remains responsible for paying the bill. The federal government kicks in a percentage of unreimbursed costs if the patient is unemployed and has no means of payment.

Almost every ER physician writes off $ hundreds of thousands in bad debt, every year. There's a reason why most young MDs opt to be employees, instead of seeking to own their own practice.

MDs/medical practices and dentists are under no obligation to see or treat anyone who cannot pay at the point of service. My family MD will not see uninsured patients unless they pay before they are seen.

My dentist does not accept any insurance and expects patients to pay at the point of service. new patients are required to pay before they are seen.

My husband needed a bone marrow biopsy, last year. He had to pay the full value of the deductible, before he was given a confirmed appointment. If he was uninsured and unable to pay for the biopsy, he would not have been able to have the procedure done or would have had to make other arrangements.

Some dentists/medical practices have financing arrangements for protracted treatments. They get paid by the creditor and the financial transaction is then limited to the creditor and the patient. They will bring on the dogs to collect from you, if the outstanding balance is worthwhile.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Quote:
Nice try to appeal to sympathy, but nothing ever stopped her from:
  • Moving to Canada
  • Not being shacked up with someone who didn't value insurance/responsible healthcare/etc
  • Not paying out of pocket to simply visit a doctor now and again
  • Getting a job that had a good health plan, independent of sad sack boyfriend
  • maybe a couple dozen other possible personal choices that have nothing to do with the insurance industry, the Tea Party, or the health care industry that could have improved her prognosis.
Cancer and personal choices killed her, not lack of ACA or affordable insurance subsidized by taxpayers. And she'd be dead at some point either way, because on a long enough timeline, everyone's mortality drops to zero.

And fyi - your aunt was better off in America than Canada, so says cancer survival rate statistics.

I don't expect sympathy from people like you.

People like you exist for a singular purpose: Yourself.

But frankly, it's not about you, and the comment was about American tea bagger hypocrisy on most any issue. It was one more anecdote in a sea of anecdotes that demonstrate how incredibly out of touch they/you guys are: Rugged individual capitalism for everyone else, protection of social programs and government spending projects that I enjoy the benefit of for ME.

(Yes, the boomer base tea bagger constituency are the same ones rockin with the oldies on Medicare, mobility scooters, and who took advantage of GI bills and VA loans, and all sorts of government goodies in their day) are SELFISH people who think of nothing but their pocketbooks, without thinking about what is good for the country or people as a whole).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies