Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:30 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think making a false complaint should be considered a serious crime.
Me to? I don't see anything silly about it, a false claim or complaint can ruin an officers life, and I see many people out there who hate cops, all cops are corrupt, all cops are trigger happy and on and on....which is not true, any intelligent person would know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's actually HB 2698 and the relevant parts that are consistent with every slander/libel law in existence are:

OK, so the bill says if you are going to file a complaint against a cop for misconduct, you are going to have to make it official and sign your name to it before they'll move on it. Nothing unreasonable here. If you are going to jeopardize someone's livelihood, you better be willing to sign a statement saying your accusation is true to the best of your knowledge and be ready to back it up. This is followed by...

OK, so the complaint form you sign will tell you that you better mean it, because your signature makes it an official statement in a court of law, where lying is called perjury, and perjury = bad. This is followed by...

If we figure out you were lying and just trying to ruin someone with your false official statement, we'll slap you down so others behind you might think twice before making crap up to get cops in trouble just because they are pissed off about getting a speeding ticket.

The bill's sponsor is the Kansas House Committee on Corrections and Juvenile Justice, which I would assume is majority Republican, given that the Kansas House is 92-33 Republican-Democrat.

But I see nothing in the bill untoward, and I say this as a pretty fierce libertarian and defender of natural individual rights, who typically thinks even casual conversation by government is akin to tyranny. Law enforcement are individuals with natural rights to life liberty and property same as those they serve/protect, and like any other citizen, should have legal protection from and recourse for slanderous/libelous accusations. The best parts of the bill are not the "you have to sign an official statement, and it better be true or else" but rather the parts where it says once a statement is proven false, it is trashed, nuked, forgotten as if it never occurred and shall not be part of an officer's complaint file.

Remember, we live in a society where people call 9-1-1 if they get 9 chicken nuggets instead of 10 at the drive through, and think they are victims of police brutality if the officer doesn't say "please" after "license and registration." These complaints go in a file that dictates a person's future employment prospects, so they should only keep the ones that are valid, and they should discard the ones that are clearly false.
Very well said, thank you for researching and explaining, it is time! Period...I'm sick and tired of people slandering police officers! They do a thankless job and deserve so much more! I see your point of view and understand! If you file a false complaint about anyone, you should have to pay some kind of price.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-19-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
As other have said False complaint says it all. There has always been laws against filing a false report to police in most states.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
There re laws already on the books to cover this. Several police organizations are against it as well.
why?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:44 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
LOL. If you file a complaint you are going to jeopardize someones livelihood? OMG tell me another one. We have cops with 100+ complaints that arent worried about losing their jobs.

All this is is yet another way to intimidate people from filing justifiable claims. Thats all. If claims were acted on in any sort of way this might be relevant.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 PM

years ago, we called it slander, and then, you'd better make certain you were saying something truthful, as you could be arrested for it and prosecuted, no more today.

I'm all for laws that protect our police...as I said before, slander can destroy a cops life....future, etc.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. If you file a complaint you are going to jeopardize someones livelihood? OMG tell me another one. We have cops with 100+ complaints that arent worried about losing their jobs.

All this is is yet another way to intimidate people from filing justifiable claims. Thats all. If claims were acted on in any sort of way this might be relevant.
I can see both sides with potential for abuse.

If you have a well run police dept. with good oversight then a couple cranks and whatnot can overwhelm your ability to investigate claims of abuse.

If you have a poorly run, corrupt dept. then you're open up to reprisal and even harm for stepping forward without any shield of anonymity.

The news is full of both examples.

I'm not quite sure I've reached an informed enough opinion on the topic yet.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can see both sides with potential for abuse.

If you have a well run police dept. with good oversight then a couple cranks and whatnot can overwhelm your ability to investigate claims of abuse.

If you have a poorly run, corrupt dept. then you're open up to reprisal and even harm for stepping forward without any shield of anonymity.

The news is full of both examples.

I'm not quite sure I've reached an informed enough opinion on the topic yet.
heres the thing, and please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone) but I thought every officer has a file, and in that file goes everything, even complaints that are not valid, then if something happens, those might be used against him/her? Is that wrong?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

I am not saying this does not have the potential for mischief, and it represents one of the great "how it is vs how it should be" dilemmas that making being a consistent libertarian a real pain. That said, if the private citizen has laws and procedures that protect them from slander/libel, public servants should have it as well. No more, no less, just same.

What has happened is people circumvent law with bureaucracies that allow courts of public opinion to make real world legal decisions with, and that's wrong in either direction. So I don't actually find issue with a law that says complaints against someone that can and do affect their employment should be official and as such should be true.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
years ago, we called it slander, and then, you'd better make certain you were saying something truthful, as you could be arrested for it and prosecuted, no more today.

I'm all for laws that protect our police...as I said before, slander can destroy a cops life....future, etc.
I used to think exactly like this, but then I lived for a number of years in a part of the country rife with corruption and cronyism.....and that gives me pause. Certainly a tough issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies