Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,041,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why do you say it is stupid and why is it a Republican bill? Regardless of which side of the fence you are on, I am amazed that anyone would not realize the danger of false claims or reports. You find the bill mind boggling, I think many would think your reaction to the bill is mind boggling.
Yep..........although on the other side of the fence the cops do what they want. Hell it is illegal to video em in some states from what I've read. Why is that if they aren't doing their job properly? I am a big fence rider on this...........lot of bad cops running around.......but most are good. I have a buddy who is a cop and he has to deal with lunatics all the time. I see no problem with this law though........although if cops do the same on the other side it should be a felony on them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I used to think exactly like this, but then I lived for a number of years in a part of the country rife with corruption and cronyism.....and that gives me pause. Certainly a tough issue.
yes, you are right there are always two sides to everything, good and bad, and I'd like to think this were different, however, your right, it is not....and do see your point.

I just wish cops were compensated much better...and so many cop haters today, and yet, the first thing they do is call a cop when they need them?

Like he said, there are so many people in this country who call 911 b/c they're brother or father wont' give them the TV changer.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM

78,642 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
heres the thing, and please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone) but I thought every officer has a file, and in that file goes everything, even complaints that are not valid, then if something happens, those might be used against him/her? Is that wrong?
I do not know, I supect it's unanswerable with one answer as I would suspect that it varies by city and certainly state policy and law.

I seriously doubt the Chicago Police Dept union is letting unproven complaints get in an officers file.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yep..........although on the other side of the fence the cops do what they want. Hell it is illegal to video em in some states from what I've read. Why is that if they aren't doing their job properly? I am a big fence rider on this...........lot of bad cops running around.......but most are good. I have a buddy who is a cop and he has to deal with lunatics all the time. I see no problem with this law though........although if cops do the same on the other side it should be a felony on them too.
personally, those lunatics you speak of, most people have no idea, of how nuts they really are....and yes, most cops ARE good....

Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I do not know, I supect it's unanswerable with one answer as I would suspect that it varies by city and certainly state policy and law.

I seriously doubt the Chicago Police Dept union is letting unproven complaints get in an officers file.
well, I was told that by a state police officer...he told me once, if you want to do something nice for an officer write a nice letter to his comanding officer which will also go in his file and counter act the bad ones....? I don't know.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
yes, you are right there are always two sides to everything, good and bad, and I'd like to think this were different, however, your right, it is not....and do see your point.

I just wish cops were compensated much better...and so many cop haters today, and yet, the first thing they do is call a cop when they need them?

Like he said, there are so many people in this country who call 911 b/c they're brother or father wont' give them the TV changer.
I think it's really a geographical issue. From all the stuff we've heard about the New Orleans PD they've certainly jaded some people over the years. In other parts of the country they are a well run professional force.

It really boils down to not generalizing one way or another about such a diverse group.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,041,926 times
Quote:
personally, those lunatics you speak of, most people have no idea, of how nuts they really are....and yes, most cops ARE good....
Yes they are.........although a few years back I had cops kicking in the door of my house on the 4th of July because of fireworks.........I wasn't home at the time my wife and kids were. Sure they were shooting some off but that is not a reason to go "lunatic" which is my point. When I got home they had searched my back yard illegally and held up a spent bottle rocket that could have come from anywhere, as I pointed out to them by looking into the sky on that night, but they didn't care. Scared the hell out of my children is all that became of it of course. All for no reason. Lunatics on both sides. Like you say though most are good the bad ones give em a bad rap.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,932,494 times
Quote:
So, someone proposed a bill.....as you have noted there is opposition to the bill....and you are here attacking the state politically for putting up with this stuff?

Perhaps instead of rushing to create yet another bash Kansas thread you should think things out a little bit more.
I think this article does a fairly good analysis of the proposed bill.

Kansas could make it a felony to report unfounded allegations of police abuse

It does seem to make filing a complaint against any police department or agency rather pointless, even if that police department or agency is actively engaged in wrong-doing. When the police department gets to investigate itself, make a determination if the complaint is valid or not, and then have the ability to punish the person who has complained, and the law doesn't allow outside authorities to investigate or even to review the department's investigation. That's a recipe for abuse, don't you think?

By the way, this is the actual bill. The OP's link referenced the wrong bill number.

http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b201...asures/hb2698/

Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think this article does a fairly good analysis of the proposed bill.

Kansas could make it a felony to report unfounded allegations of police abuse

It does seem to make filing a complaint against any police department or agency rather pointless, even if that police department or agency is actively engaged in wrong-doing. When the police department gets to investigate itself, make a determination if the complaint is valid or not, and then have the ability to punish the person who has complained, and the law doesn't allow outside authorities to investigate or even to review the department's investigation. That's a recipe for abuse, don't you think?

By the way, this is the actual bill. The OP's link referenced the wrong bill number.

HB 2698 | Bills and Resolutions | Kansas State Legislature
Thanks for the detailed investigation. One would have hoped the OP would have done the same but that's not in their track record concerning posts regarding KS.

I had to say that with protests from various police organizations that this thing had some issues, but I like to get my facts straight before jumping\screaming\pouncing based upon political orientation.

Very likely unconstitutional if passed, which although presented as such is not the case.

It would be amazing to see how many crackpot bills were proposed around the country at the state level by a single state congressperson....and then try to libel\label everyone in the state based upon it. :rolleyes

Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,263,403 times
The number of the bill was corrected on TV last night from the incorrect number they had of 1468 to 2698.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies