Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 AM

57,364 posts, read 26,276,409 times

Advertisements

Education is failing in this country and after reading this I can see why, I think that school needs to get their priorities in order. If they're going to take a field trip then go to a museum or something related to science, this is an absurd waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,832,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Education is failing in this country and after reading this I can see why, I think that school needs to get their priorities in order. If they're going to take a field trip then go to a museum or something related to science, this is an absurd waste of time.
I gauruntee kids learned something that will be useful as an adult compared to go to a museum.

I'm sure you feel the same way about sex ed classes right? The school should spend that time on math and science right?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,284,347 times
Quote:
Excellent point. While these kids are learning how to shoot guns, the rest of the world is passing the US in actual educational skills necessary to get a decent job. Then they will be the first to complain that foreigners are taking all of our good jobs.

Younger Americans Fare Poorly on Skills Against International Peers - WSJ.com

Top US students fare poorly in international PISA test scores, Shanghai tops the world, Finland slips | Education By The Numbers

Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
LOL, yep that's the reason kids do poorly in schools, a field trip to a gun range. It's amazing no one has figured this out yet. Obviously we have some really bright people posting here.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times
NRA's Eddie Eagle program.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
No different than a field trip to a mosque where the children participate in prayers even if it's not their own religion.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,078,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yet they don't hand em a checkbook to "handle"?? LOL

This is the job of parents not teachers. I taught my kids how to shoot and all my weapons are still in the safe. No reason to take chances......Kids do stupid things.......not with my guns.
I would agree with this. It's a good thing to teach kids about gun safety, and there's nothing wrong with going to a gun range. But it's too controversial for a public school field trip these days.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,087,761 times
1 day at the range is hardly taking away from academic studies. I'm sure this was educational and practical. What they learned could save their life or the lives of others. I'm sure they learned a healthy respect for firearms and what they are capable of. They probably learned the absolute rules of firearm safety. Anytime you expose youth to activities that they don't ordinarily take part in is a good thing, and makes them a more rounded and educated individual. One of the problems that the firearm community faces is that people that have no experience or understanding of guns, have a phobia and therefore have strong negative opinions. Whatever opinion these kids have of guns after this field trip will at least be based on something they have received a little education.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
It's good to see the schools did something intelligent for a change. Perhaps these kids will grow up to understand that a gun is just an object, and not have the odd mental phobias that many parents, as well as many of our posters, display. It's good to expose kids to something new and EDUCATE them, rahter than just instill more irrational fear. Far more useful than another "gay agenda" or "DARE" play. Around here, field trips are usually just a play day, with trips to the ski hill or an amusement park.

Appleseed is a great organization. I have participated in one of their shoots-great experience and I learned a lot.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,179,239 times
Quote:

Guns are part of the Constitution. It is very educational to NOT have a kid learn about guns for the first time as a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies