Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 AM

11,153 posts, read 10,733,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Education is failing in this country and after reading this I can see why, I think that school needs to get their priorities in order. If they're going to take a field trip then go to a museum or something related to science, this is an absurd waste of time.
Considering that prior to the millennial decade - you know, back when it was fairly common for schools to have a firearms safety course as part of their curriculum, and some even had their own rifle teams - our students held their own fairly well against international competition, I'd say that you're conflating the issues.

The failure of our public school system has far more to do with lack of parental involvement and the idiocy of political correctness and "everyone is a winner" than the occasional field trip to a gun range.

As a side note, those of us that have spent time with firearms either professionally or as the main way of putting food on the table are well versed in scientific principles such as ballistics, trajectory, geometry, and resistance. Firearms training taught us those principles quite well, thank you very much. On the other hand, my daughter's class recently took a trip to the zoo and learned what giraffes eat... which of those educational experiences are likely to come in more useful in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times
6th grade, we had gun safety classes in P.E.
They had Daisy Red Rider BB guns. We all got to shoot in the gym and were graded on our marksmanship and handling the firearm.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM

11,153 posts, read 10,733,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
6th grade, we had gun safety classes in P.E.
They had Daisy Red Rider BB guns. We all got to shoot in the gym and were graded on our marksmanship and handling the firearm.
Same here, but we used .22s and our range was on the soccer field (had a high berm around the back side which made a good backstop). We also had not only one, but two police officers on the grounds for safety.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM

30,325 posts, read 23,808,618 times
School is not just about art and museums, reading, writing, and math, it's also many other subjects. When I went to school, we had archery sessions/instructions. Not a class, an activity. If it was okay for us to shoot arrows, why is not okay for kids to learn about firearms safety?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that prior to the millennial decade - you know, back when it was fairly common for schools to have a firearms safety course as part of their curriculum, and some even had their own rifle teams - our students held their own fairly well against international competition, I'd say that you're conflating the issues.

The failure of our public school system has far more to do with lack of parental involvement and the idiocy of political correctness and "everyone is a winner" than the occasional field trip to a gun range.

As a side note, those of us that have spent time with firearms either professionally or as the main way of putting food on the table are well versed in scientific principles such as ballistics, trajectory, geometry, and resistance. Firearms training taught us those principles quite well, thank you very much. On the other hand, my daughter's class recently took a trip to the zoo and learned what giraffes eat... which of those educational experiences are likely to come in more useful in life?
I wouldn't say that one field trip to a shooting range is the largest problem in our schools but it is still misguided. If you want learn about geometry then the best place to do that is in a math class I don't think one learns much one learns by shooting a gun, I don't recall analyzing geometric formulas when I was firing a rifle. Going to zoo's, museums, historical sites open the mind, I see that as much more beneficial.

It's not political correctness, it's common sense.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I gauruntee kids learned something that will be useful as an adult compared to go to a museum.

I'm sure you feel the same way about sex ed classes right? The school should spend that time on math and science right?
Yes sex education is in fact very important since the US has one of the highest rates of unwanted pregnancy of any civilized country. Many reasons for sex education including infectious diseases in our population, the parents can teach gun safety if they want their child to buy a gun, schools is not the place for that.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,147,790 times
So field trips to learn about knives, bombs, poisons, and other things that can kill people and animals is appropriate, got it.

Hope they spend some time covering how mental imbalance and personal rage should be expressed by other means rather than weopons.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,998,221 times
Ho-Hum...
Just another "exercise in futility" thread.
Those who are FOR kids having a basic knowledge of firearms and firearm safety will be thrilled by a school taking an active interest in promoting the subjects.
Those who are against any kind of firearms education or use will be horrified, as usual.
And, as usual, the aphorisms "If it saves one life, it will be worth it!" or "It is just good, cheap, insurance!" will be ignored because they just don't fit the "anti" mind-set.
So, again, HO-HUM, SSDD!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,840,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes sex education is in fact very important since the US has one of the highest rates of unwanted pregnancy of any civilized country. Many reasons for sex education including infectious diseases in our population, the parents can teach gun safety if they want their child to buy a gun, schools is not the place for that.
So the parents can't teach sex ed, the school must do it, but the school should touch guns because that is not a big enough issue, the parents should do it. The. You will go on to post in another thread how guns are out of control in this country and they should all be banned.

So which is it? Are guns an issue or are they not?

Teaching kids about guns and how they are dangerous is the exact same thing as teaching them about sex and how unprotected sex is dangerous. More blinders from the anti gun crowd, par for the course.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,943,050 times
Being ignorant to the science of shooting the nay sayers know nothing but point and shoot no real disciplines .
I grew up with guns too, Dad took us shooting in the desert and the mountains when ever he could .
I had my own .22 @12 years old.
I think it is vitally impotent kids learn to shoot at an early age and learn the reality of what that bullet really dose .
School is an excellent place to do it . with so many single parents usually mothers ,those kids don't see guns except in video games, and pictures do not portray the reality of holes being processed as a result.
All parents are not good at training their young ,fact is they don't usually,except by example .but if the parent doesn't provide one the kid has nothing.
My son's father in law is a retired policed man, still has a gun at home but always hidden, but he never bothered to teach his daughter about guns, so she was afraid of them when we took her to the shooting range.
He failed to teach her about a tool that potentially could save her life, if she knew how to use it, and they live in an area that is getting higher in crime .
Teaching your children to be afraid of guns is more dangerous for them in the long run; of course unless you don't care about their future in this violent culture brewing now days.
Do you teach them to cook and use fire and lite candles or the water heater or furnass ?
How is fire any less dangerous ?
How is driving a car any less dangerous ? or mountain climbing or bike riding or ant host of other activities people partake in and get injured and killed at.
On of my brothers was hit and killed by a car . Is that justification to be against driving cars ? NO
For heavens sake people have to learn there is personal responsibility , it's not the car nor the mountain nor the bike nor the gun but those whom choose to use them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies