Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
Given many countries have either free or inexpensive healthcare, should America adopt a "universal healthcare" concept moving forward?

Here are a few questions to consider:

1. How would it impact the economy and job creation?

2. What kind of structural changes to the healthcare industry are necessary?

3. The effect on illegal immigration?

The article is linked below:

Outrageous Hospital Bill
Do Americans deserve free healthcare? NO. Or free food, or free housing, or free cars....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Certainly doesn't seem like the free market system of the USA brings down the cost of healthcare does it? There's no Wal-Mart hospital.
Although Walmart has done some amazing things on the prices of medication for many.....

Maybe they should start a sideline business.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Who hates the poor? a free market system will bring down prices.

According to this Gallup poll.
Majority in U.S. Say Healthcare Not Gov't Responsibility
Most Americans want a free market system
Free market in healthcare can only exist for certain aspects of healthcare. Free market relies on the idea of supply and demand. In the free markets, demand is voluntary A TV is a good example. I don't need a TV but I can shop around for one and bargain hunt if I want one. But I don't need it.

If I have a heart attack or I get hit by a car, I need treatment. The need for that service is the same, regardless of the price. You can not bargain hunt when you are being hospitalized or unconscious. You can not decide to be transported to a cheaper hospital when your life is on the line. You get transported to the nearest one that can fulfill your medical needs.

And before you say that housing, water and food is a need. There is still a major difference. In the worst possible situation......i can beg and be a scavenger of food, or life of the food produced in the wild (via trapping, fishing whatever). If I need water, I can move to a different location and get water to quench my thirst. There are plenty of lakes and rivers in the US. As for housing, you can build your own rudimentary shelter to protect you from the elements or move somewhere else in the US were the elements are not as bad.

But under NO CIRCUMSTANCE, will I ever be able to perform surgery to remove a tumor in my brain, or find a kidney dialysis machine out in the wild to provide myself with dialysis. Yes...I also acknowledge that there are aspects of healthcare where certain decisions like life style and diet play a factor (its definitely a big factor in fact). How ever, people can require major medical treatment even iof they are healthy and active. Healthcare is like air, we need it in order to survive, and we will need it, whether it costs a dollar or a million dollars.

Last edited by Stizzel; 03-25-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Free market in healthcare can only exist for certain aspects of healthcare. Free market relies on the idea of supply and demand. In the free markets, demand is voluntary A TV is a good example. I don't need a TV but I can shop around for one and bargain hunt if I want one. But I don't need it.

If I have a heart attack or I get hit by a car, I need treatment. The need for that service is the same, regardless of the price. You can not bargain hunt when you are being hospitalized or unconscious. You can not decide to be transported to a cheaper hospital when your life is on the line. You get transported to the nearest one that can fulfill your medical needs.

And before you say that housing, water and food is a need. There is still a major difference. In the worst possible situation......i can beg and be a scavenger of food, or life of the food produced in the wild (via trapping, fishing whatever). If I need water, I can move to a different location and get water to quench my thirst. There are plenty of lakes and rivers in the US. As for housing, you can build your own rudimentary shelter to protect you from the elements or move somewhere else in the US were the elements are not as bad.

But under NO CIRCUMSTANCE, will I ever be able to perform surgery to remove a tumor in my brain, or find a kidney dialysis machine out in the wild to provide myself with dialysis. Healthcare is like air, we need it in order to survive, and we will need it, whether it costs a dollar or a million dollars.
Thank you. I've been trying to find words to describe what you wrote here. Markets behave very differently when lives are on the line. We publically finance fire, police and military protection for this very reason.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
TANSTAAFL!
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!
There is, and can not be, any such thing as free health care!

How about we say that ALL your earnings will be taken by the government, and you will receive such food, shelter, and health care as you truly NEED!
Then, your whole LIFE will be FREE!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i dont know any country that has free health care, its low cost but not free. but that is not good enough for americans bek they are used to getting everything free and first rate. the concept of having to pay anything and for it being no frills is not popular seeing that only a few million have signed up.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
Given many countries have either free or inexpensive healthcare, should America adopt a "universal healthcare" concept moving forward?

Here are a few questions to consider:

1. How would it impact the economy and job creation?

2. What kind of structural changes to the healthcare industry are necessary?

3. The effect on illegal immigration?

The article is linked below:

Outrageous Hospital Bill
Here's a question you didn't consider: does the constitution allow for the government to run a healthcare system?

The constitution says "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Does the constitution delegate the power to run a universal healthcare system to the federal government and/or does it prohibit individual states from creating a healthcare system?

The answer to that is No. Therefore, the rest of your questions are meaningless.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
I don't know about the rest of y'all but I deserve free chocolate for life. The good dark kind, not the cheap Nestle crap. C'mon, y'all, pay up. It's my entitlement as citizen of this country.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Here's a question you didn't consider: does the constitution allow for the government to run a healthcare system?

The constitution says "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Does the constitution delegate the power to run a universal healthcare system to the federal government and/or does it prohibit individual states from creating a healthcare system?

The answer to that is No. Therefore, the rest of your questions are meaningless.
General welfare clause.

The answer is yes. Therefore your disagreement is meaningless.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

The Constitution is not a code of law. That's what legislators do, codify law. The Constitution does not have to specifically mention healthcare no more than it specifically has to mention an interstate highway system, or a space program, or many others, for such actions to be constitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies