Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop fluoridation of public drinking water?
Yes 43 56.58%
No Please explain why 37 48.68%
Other Explain 0 0%
Welcome to Costco I love you 2 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times

Advertisements

you can vote yes but to vote no you have to explain why? Tooth health and what it is shown to effect more and more and the decrease in problems from past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:12 AM

45,261 posts, read 26,518,839 times
Many are perfectly happy giving government the green light to tamper with the water supply so long as it concocts a good excuse.
America is truly a nation of dolts.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,660,211 times
Quote:
Yeah all the people who have switched to safe bottled water have teeth falling out of their mouths.
Do you really think bottled water is safe? It is in plastic and you aren't suppose to drink it if it was left in your car during the summer.
Give me tap water any day, I have hit 70 and never had a health problem that I couldn't fix myself except for pregnancy.
I am going to continue drinking water from the tap all day long like I have all of my life and not worry because nothing has happened to me yet. When it does, I will not blame it on the water.
Water that has been sitting in plastic for years is not my idea of being very healthy.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,617,763 times
My dentist always told me not to swallow the fluoride rinse, I'm sure there is a reason for that. I can't imagine that this stuff has any significantl impact on teeth just by drinking it now and then. Plus, how do you dose something like this? It's a fixed amount for everyone - kids, adults, babies. What other medicine is not dosed? The added fluoride thing makes no sense to me.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,261,706 times
What's a little fluoride with the recycled **** and **** they call tap water.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,685,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Not only that, but the reason water is fluoridated in the first place is because of a study to discover the reason why people in a certain area had a history of much less tooth decay. Fluoride, occurring naturally in their drinking water was found to be the reason. This dates back to the mid to late 50's (if memory serves). It's when they started putting fluoride in toothpaste, and fluoride treatments at the dentist. Our teeth have been healthier ever since.
Since fluoride is found in toothpaste and probably in many drinks, why should my city now have to blow money on putting fluoride in the water in the first place?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM

37,175 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What about the harmful effects?

So you dont mind higher case of Autism, Cancer, as long as your teeth are ok?

Why should others have to suffer drinking poison?

LOL? This is anything but funny.
There is no evidence drinking fluoridated water causes cancer or autism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Harvard Professor: Fluoride Toxic to Children, Linked to Autism | EcoWatch

Harvard: Fluoride Can Increase Autism and Attention Deficit Disorder Washington's Blog

Many more studies out there..Now I will ask you again.

Why should we be forced to drink water laced with something that has well known and documented heath problems?

Why should we be force to drink it because others choose to not care, understand or believe its harmful side effects..
The fluoride levels in the studies reviewed for the Harvard article were done in China, and the levels (found in natural water sources) associated with decreases in IQ were about ten times as high as the recommended level for water treatment in the US. The studies did not control for other factors that might impact IQ, such as poverty and overall nutrition and were overall of less than good quality. The authors of the Harvard study concede that the Chinese studies do not apply to American water treatment.

Harvard scientists: Data on fluoride, IQ not applicable in U.S. | Wichita Eagle

The control group in one of the studies were drinking water containing the approximate level used in US water. The high fluoride group had IQs about one point lower. The difference did not persist into adulthood: adults in both groups had no difference.

"Two of the scientists who compiled the Harvard study on fluoride said it really doesn’t address the safety of fluoridation levels typical of American drinking water.

'These results do not allow us to make any judgment regarding possible levels of risk at levels of exposure typical for water fluoridation in the U.S.,' the researchers said in an e-mail response to questions from The Eagle. 'On the other hand, neither can it be concluded that no risk is present.'

The researchers noted that the fluoride levels they studied were much higher than what is found in fluoridated water in the United States and recommended 'further research to clarify what role fluoride exposure levels may play in possible adverse effects on brain development, so that future risk assessments can properly take into regard this possible hazard.'"

After 65 years of fluoridation of water in the US, the only real problem identified is staining of the teeth, which often something only a dentist would notice and is completely benign. That can be avoided with appropriate control of the fluoridation process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly-such propaganda. I grew up with fluorided tap water but that didn't stop my soft teeth from having 6+ cavities as a child. I am 27 and have had reverse osmosis water for years and haven't had a cavity since I was an adolescent.

And for people quoting dental history studies and natural fluoride-it is not the same thing, we pump industrial waste fluoride in our water.
Fluoride is fluoride. It does not matter where it comes from. Basic chemistry. Would calling it "recycled chemical byproduct" rather than "waste" make you feel better?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM

13,308 posts, read 7,887,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no evidence drinking fluoridated water causes cancer or autism.
Luckily, there is no evidence that ANYTHING causes cancer or autism.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:51 PM

37,175 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Luckily, there is no evidence that ANYTHING causes cancer or autism.
I can make quite a list of causes of cancer, and there is a clear genetic basis for autism.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 PM

13,308 posts, read 7,887,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I can make quite a list of causes of cancer, and there is a clear genetic basis for autism.
Just the same, though, I'll take Pall Mall over fluoride any day.

With the rate of autism exploding over the last decade, maybe autism has to do with genetically modifying all the babies - with vaccines!

Peptides, plasmids and inorganic catalysts, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies