Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,987,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The above is true. Sharpton gets attention because too many white people pay attention to him because he says things they don't like to hear and they want someone to deem a "black leader" so they chose him and aim their vile at him.

He is not a representative of black people anymore than Rush Limbaugh is a representation of white people or Glen Beck or even Joe Biden. The fact that you think that is the problem. Black people don't pay much attention to Sharpton at all. I hear more about him on this forum (I am black) than I do in real life and I actually listen to a radio program that he is on twice a week (I always miss his segment because it comes on when I get out of the car lol).

But he is not leader and no representative of us. And FWIW, I don't see why you would even think such a thing. Just because someone is black and says something doesn't mean they speak for all black people. LOL at the idea that he "represents" black people lol.
I can't remember the last time Sharpton name was mentioned in a conversation with my Black friends either. Lol! He is not my leader. I personally listen to his radio show just to get a perspective that is different. He's just like any other babbling commentator some time I agree other times I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Interesting read...
Though "interesting" that book is a subjective view of "black leaders" by one man who has a biased agenda.

Also, want to point out that many of the "englightening" works that many conservatives read about the exploits of black leaders are not unknown or new or anything worth getting excited about because they are old news for most black people.

Patterson's book like others, speaks of things that "Jesse and Al" do that are common knowledge amongst black people (along with Farrakhan and others).

I remember my husband (who hates Jesse Jackson, but can stand Al Sharpton to a point) was given a title of a book that was supposed to be "eye opening" about Jesse Jackson regarding his "exploits." He read the book and said it was all old news and some of the things in the book actually made him like Jesse a tad more (but not much because he doesn't like him) than he did previously since the book made note of the fact that Jesse supported the idea of reparations to black Americans. My husband supports this idea too so it made him like Jesse more, a tad, but not much, still can't stand him. But all of these books you all seem to think are so interesting and englightening really aren't.

Even this recent thing about Sharpton and the mob/FBI is old. It is like that blog "stuff white people like" where they said that white people usually like music that black people liked 20-30 years ago lol. I guess the same is true when it comes to controversial black figures. We know about the crooked stuff they do and what their agenda is and way more than you know because we have "black media" that talks about any negativity they have in their lives along with having the opinion of blacks of these figures shared in the open. You all just don't pay attention to it so Jesse Patterson can write a book that you think is some sort of "secret" material that if "black people knew" they would have some sort of enlightenment, yet black people on the whole already know these things.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,711,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
He stands for all that Conservatives DON'T. This makes him a person who is among the most enlightened, fighting a cause that is far superior than anything the Right represents. He's dynamic, articulate, passionate, brilliant, in step with the times, and always correct. He speaks to the future. He doesn't long for the past like the bigoted Conservatives do. Rev. Al Sharpton is far, far away a more valuable member of this society than any hapless Conservative.

This is why he is respected and why he gets attention...and don't you forget it either.
Do tell.

Like attracts like...as in "birds of a feather"...they like and support each other, even "respect", though they have an unusual concept of that word.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
al sharpton was a lazy man decades ago that did not want to get a real job, nothing has changed.
he is was and will always be a loser.

and a pompous ass at that

Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Calling him a slimeball and a scumbag doesn`t really prove that he`s a racist does it? Actually it says more about you.
Every time Sharpton opens his mouth and talks he proves he is racist. If Obama (liar) and Sharpton (race baiter), both corrupt is the best blacks have to offer god help you.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,253,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So Al Sharpton has his National Action Network thing going on. Holder has attended and Obama plans to. Sharpton has recently received praise from De Blasio, NYC Mayor, as the "real thing".

How does a man like Sharpton, with his past and the instances of crying racism and calling for people's heads in what ended up being false rape claims (at least twice), get such damn recognition and respect? How is this man still relevant with ANYONE, let alone the President of the United States and the Attorney General?!

The guy has never apologized for his words and actions. In fact, the man plays Cry Racist for a living and has profited mightily from it. Ive seen plenty of people of all political persuasions call this guy for what he is....yet he is still out there, front and center.

And really, this isnt limited to Dems paling with him. Its to Fox News and others that give the man a microphone and a chance to even speak anymore. Has this guy not proven enough that he's a piece of dog excrement? Does he have to have yet another false rape claim (white on black of course) to make it three before people finally are done with him?

NYC Mayor De Blasio: Al Sharpton Deserves More Respect, He Is 'The Real Thing'

Holder: Can you believe the way the Attorney General of the United States was treated yesterday? « Hot Air

Obama unconcerned by Al Sharpton's history with the FBI and mafia | WashingtonExaminer.com
I always thought he was a piece of crap myself. I do like his segment on MSNBC Where they do the "GOTCHA SEGMENT"

Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,529,378 times
Dr. Martin Luther King said it best

Big Al, Little Eric Holder, Screaming Jesse and yes even Barry Soroto A.K.A. Barack Hussein Obama
all seemed to have missed the part about character, and continue to prove it.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Calling him a slimeball and a scumbag doesn`t really prove that he`s a racist does it? Actually it says more about you.
Yes I do have proof. Informed people know. And it says nothing about me. Just like your posts say nothing about anything.
Is it better to say bigoted?

"If the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house"

"White folks was in caves while we was building empires.... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it."

Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Why is a criminal like Oliver North taken seriously by the right?
Not to mention Nixon and G.W. Bush. But to be fair, Sharpton deserves about as much respect as Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage or Bill O'Reilly.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to also highlight this above.

It is funny to me that so many people who hate Sharpton don't realize that he actually does serve a purpose. Because you all (who hate him) give him so much attention, he is an embodied bullhorn because if any "black and white issue" comes up you all will be pointing a microphone in his face and asking his opinion.

And FWIW, he actually does focus primarily on "black issues" alone like gun violence in black communities as was stated above, that is one of his primary focuses and he is quick to make a comment on violent beatings or killings in black neighborhoods perpetuated by black people against black people.

Most of the people posting on this thread only know about the high profile cases, most of them many years old except the Trayvon Martin trial, which he was not the instigator in at all.

But in general, most white people in the country don't know much about black people except for stereotypes, so they (especially conservatives on this forum it seems) wants to put us in a box and place Sharpton at the helm. This is based on ignorance as you don't know about the primary media figures that black people actually do listen to and pay attention to or who we consider our leaders. The only black leader I consider is the president.
Bolded for emphasis. Yet he says nothing about wanting blacks to arm themselves for protection. Cause government will do it for them right?
people turned it around in the town hall meeting in December of 2013 in Chicago.
It never amazes me how some people want the very ones who abused their child to babysit that child on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies