Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know you, nor do I do your taxes, so I don't really care what you say you do or don't do on the internet.
I was mistaken by the fact you were quoting me in your posts.

Good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I was mistaken by the fact you were quoting me in your posts.

Good to know.
You are free to pretend whatever you like on the internet, it's cool.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM

25,840 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Well I have paid "0" tax for a good many years.....manage to write off (legally) most things in my life from trips to my dogs.....you tell me.
Well, that's nice. But, if you are using any of the services that tax dollars provide, I would say that your ability to do that needs to be changed. If you do not have any service provided you by the government, then I have no problem with it.

Personally, because some of the services provided from taxes are extended to me--such as the military preventing my life being turned upside down by invasion, roads that I drive on, schools, etc--I'm willing to pay a part of what I make to help fund it. I'm used to paying for things I buy. To do otherwise would having me thinking of myself as a thief.

Having said that, I think the tax code is an abomination. I think my taxes should not be used for things that are morally questionable in my eyes or services that the government should not be providing in the first place. As for the federal government, I should be charged my share of national security expenses. And that's about as far as the federal government should go. If the feds did what they were originally intended to do, everybody's taxes would be minuscule.

But see, unlike current stylish thought, I don't see taxes as being a way to punish rich people. I see taxes as a fee for service rendered. Most all of us have some of those services rendered to us. We should be charged according to those expenses. And if the government was not the most wasteful spendthrift on the face of the earth, I'd have no problem paying taxes. As it is, I'm all for fixing an out-of-control tax code and out-of-control government.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You are free to pretend whatever you like on the internet, it's cool.
Again....good to know.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,747,302 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we don't really tax net worth, just incomes earned. Though I think we should start taxing net worth.
Why should I be taxed for not blowing my income? Why should I be taxed more for saving for my future needs? People already pay property tax based on value of their home. Do they use more city and county services? Tax rates favor low income people.

If you tax my income and capital gains, why can't you just be satisfied with that? People like you are always trying to hold others back.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, that's nice. But, if you are using any of the services that tax dollars provide, I would say that your ability to do that needs to be changed. If you do not have any service provided you by the government, then I have no problem with it. I'm used to paying things I buy. To do otherwise would having me thinking of myself as a thief.

Personally, because some of the services provided from taxes are extended to me--such as the military preventing my life being turned upside down by invasion, roads that I drive on, schools, etc--I'm willing to pay a part of what I make to help fund it.

Having said that, I think the tax code is an abomination. I think my taxes should not be used for things that are morally questionable in my eyes or services that the government should not be providing in the first place. As for the federal government, I should be charged my share of national security expenses. And that's about as far as the federal government should go. If the feds did what they were originally intended to do, everybody's taxes would be minuscule.

But see, unlike current stylish thought, I don't see taxes as being a way to punish rich people. I see taxes as a fee for service rendered. Most all of us have some of those services rendered to us. We should be charged according to those expenses. And if the government was not the most wasteful spendthrift on the face of the earth, I'd have no problem paying taxes. As it is, I'm all for fixing an out-of-control tax code and out-of-control government.
Our school tax is part of our property tax.

Most of the time I buy off road diesel 2500 gallons at a time.....the taxes are paid on that except road tax.

I buy a lot of gas....but, all fuels are write offs...so that equals out.

What I do is spend...a lot (IMO)...my expense last year was about $750,000.

My well rig was about depreciated out so I bought a new one...that was about $600,000.

This all puts money in the economy and makes jobs.

I work on the idea that we are not taxed on what we make...we are taxed on what we keep.

It has worked well for me.....for about 25 years.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Why should I be taxed for not blowing my income? Why should I be taxed more for saving for my future needs? People already pay property tax based on value of their home. Do they use more city and county services? Tax rates favor low income people.

If you tax my income and capital gains, why can't you just be satisfied with that? People like you are always trying to hold others back.
It can work out that you are taxed for saving.

Our system is designed to keep the money moving.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:

It is a shame we don't properly tax capital gains in this country either.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 PM

1,136 posts, read 943,253 times
Quote:

You actually don't to reason with him. All you have to do is defeat him.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM

1,136 posts, read 943,253 times
By the way, what are the odds that he would exempt "the poor" from a tax on their net worth? That's why I'm saying you don't have to reason with him. He's a liberal, so he's great at coming up with new things to tax ...for certain people. Then he'd immediately turn around and trot out the usual "...but that would create an undue burden on all of those people." He's a one-trick pony because he's a liberal. All they know how to do is "tax and spend."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies