Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 12:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Doesn't One Million Moms exist solely to identify and target things they think are blasphemous to Christianity?
It is impossible to be blasphemous to a religion.

One can blaspheme God but not a system of faith.

Harrier doesn't want to start any blasphemous rumors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDlQKhdo2eQ&feature=kp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:29 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Every right to do so? I don't think so. Blasphemy laws have no place in a modern society. If you think otherwise you should consider moving to Iran or Saudi Arabia.
Yes, every right to do so. It is an exercise of free speech, just like advocating racial purity, or trying to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

In turn, I have the right to speak out against it, and to vote for people who will do the same. Only when it crosses in to violent and unlawful behavior do we have a problem.

I agree with you that blasphemy laws have no place in a modern society, but neither does institutionalizing a specific religious view of marriage, teaching religious dogma as fact in science classes, or a host of other issues that American Christians are trying to slip over the "wall of separation" I will stand against these things with my voice, my vote, and whatever influence I have, but to undo the First amendment because you don't like a particular religion and are afraid of them is shortsighted and foolish.

-NoCapo

Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Yes, every right to do so. It is an exercise of free speech, just like advocating racial purity, or trying to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

In turn, I have the right to speak out against it, and to vote for people who will do the same. Only when it crosses in to violent and unlawful behavior do we have a problem.

I agree with you that blasphemy laws have no place in a modern society, but neither does institutionalizing a specific religious view of marriage, teaching religious dogma as fact in science classes, or a host of other issues that American Christians are trying to slip over the "wall of separation" I will stand against these things with my voice, my vote, and whatever influence I have, but to undo the First amendment because you don't like a particular religion and are afraid of them is shortsighted and foolish.

-NoCapo
Pushing for anti-blashpemy laws is not exercising free speech, it's trying to suppress speech.
If you have a problem with Christianity why are you defending Islam? You don't make any sense. I don't have any use for people who riot in the street over cartoons and push for anti-blasphemy laws. If you think that makes me "shortsighted and foolish," well, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Pushing for anti-blashpemy laws is not exercising free speech, it's trying to suppress speech.
If you have a problem with Christianity why are you defending Islam? You don't make any sense. I don't have any use for people who riot in the street over cartoons and push for anti-blasphemy laws. If you think that makes me "shortsighted and foolish," well, I don't know what to tell you.
Of course it is free speech, it is just free speech I don't agree with. The remedy for speech I don't agree with is... more speech! If we make a law that says we have freedom of speech, except for one political or religious position, and that can't ever be discussed, we miss the point of free speech entirely. They are free to call for blasphemy laws, just like Christians were free to push Prop. 8. Both are wrong, but I don't think making it illegal to campaign against same-sex marriage is the answer...

I have equal problems with Christianity and Islam. I think that people of both faiths should be free to worship and relate to their God in their way. I also think that neither faith should be allowed to control the government. Fortunately the Constitution says the same thing. We have a government that is not supposed to be attached to or beholden to any religion, and that is as it should be.

-NoCapo

Old 04-18-2014, 04:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Of course it is free speech, it is just free speech I don't agree with. The remedy for speech I don't agree with is... more speech! If we make a law that says we have freedom of speech, except for one political or religious position, and that can't ever be discussed, we miss the point of free speech entirely. They are free to call for blasphemy laws, just like Christians were free to push Prop. 8. Both are wrong, but I don't think making it illegal to campaign against same-sex marriage is the answer...

I have equal problems with Christianity and Islam. I think that people of both faiths should be free to worship and relate to their God in their way. I also think that neither faith should be allowed to control the government. Fortunately the Constitution says the same thing. We have a government that is not supposed to be attached to or beholden to any religion, and that is as it should be.

-NoCapo
Thanks NoCapo, and I would just add that when speech crosses over into violence, the problem that we address is the criminality of the action, not what motivated it.

Fat Lou, you can be sure that if Muslims bomb an abortion clinic, the law will be on them. Because most of us don't care which religion motivates the bombing.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Looks like the nation is on a roll this week. Kidnapping school girls, demanding stricter Sharia in Nigeria, hundreds meeting to plan new attacks on the U.S... Let's import some members of this group!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
I don't think there is free speech anywhere,it is just smokescreen,we've seen reporter in the US go to jail for that same reason,we've seen some groups being prevented from speaking or appearing on tv's and radios.
If there's free speech,it's only available to some select groups.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
This happens wherever muslims immigrate to a non-muslim country; like a trojan horse as the article states, they take over the schools, businesses, and eventually, establish sharia law - as if they are instilling a new muslim country where there used to be a non-muslim one.
I wonder if the indigenous native American Indians had similar misgivings about the migration of the white man to their land..

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM

1,347 posts, read 954,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
That's a bunch of BS, written by the so-called education system. It history re-written by the descendants of the Pilgrims. Of course you're going to repeat their lies.
"Pilgrims" like Jefferson and Churchill?

When you are able to acquire some facts and history, let us know.

To the rational, islam is an imperialistic death cult that has conquered and destroyed other peoples for over a thousand years. This fact is well documented:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Islamic-Impe.../dp/0300122632

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/onl...story0212.aspx

and the wholly destructive nature of this death cult has existed from the time of mohammed through the ottoman empire through the efforts today to conquer and subjugate other peoples, both in the middle east (copts, maronites, chaldeans, maneachans, azeri, bahai, jews, kurds, orthodox christians, etc.) and through mass immigration and non-assimilation.

The rational amongst us know that once the muslims reach a critical mass in a new country, they attempt to change its laws and conquer it via high childbirth rates. Those running interference for it, either by fabricating its violent and vile history, achieve nothing except embarrass themselves and undermine their own cause, whatever that might be.

Since islam's awful nature is well-known, our efforts should be directed towards incremental eradication and de-education along the lines of what was applied to the Germans after WW2.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 AM

1,347 posts, read 954,602 times
Quote:
Where do you get this? How in the world is it not a religion? It might be one you don't like, but it is still a religion... Even if it were a "death cult" that is still a religion, and in this country, as long as you don't break the law, you can believe what you like.

Scientology has been banned in Germany. Which of course, is not the United States and has different values regarding free speech and freedom of religion. We have the Constitution and that prevents us from banning even "death cults". Face it, you are allowing your fear to lead you to undo the work of the founding fathers and trade your religious liberty for "security".

-NoCapo
Cults that promote violence and death are not protected by the first amendment, so pretending that islam is a "religion" when it is clearly not to provide it such protections is laughable at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies