Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
100% wrong about dooms day? So you are saying your own RAND quoted saying 1 million people lost insurance (like real lost) because the policies have become too unaffordable?

That 3-5 million are facing steep premiums hikes?

So those facts are wrong as well?

Can't ACA supporters even admit millions are being hurt by the ACA.

I am the first to admit millions are gaining health care coverage. I am the better man for that.

But ACA supporters simply refuse to acknowledge the millions on the short end of the stick on the ACA. And most of them are federal tax paying citizens getting hurt.
Very true. Gallup mentioned in their most recent poll they dont know how many people lost insurance because it wasnt affordable. It could be 12 million gained insurance and 2 million lost insurance. Thats why I think another metal plan should be added that would strip benefits and maybe even cap lifetime benefits if it would reduce costs. The average 50-64 year old according to Ehealthinsurance is paying $520 per month. Thats not really affordable. I think the insurance companies error-ed on the high side. If the exchanges are to work and drive costs lower it will take more than one year. Washington state will be the first state to report new rates for next year sometime in May. I dont think they will go up, might even go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Very true. Gallup mentioned in their most recent poll they dont know how many people lost insurance because it wasnt affordable. It could be 12 million gained insurance and 2 million lost insurance. Thats why I think another metal plan should be added that would strip benefits and maybe even cap lifetime benefits if it would reduce costs. The average 50-64 year old according to Ehealthinsurance is paying $520 per month. Thats not really affordable. I think the insurance companies error-ed on the high side. If the exchanges are to work and drive costs lower it will take more than one year. Washington state will be the first state to report new rates for next year sometime in May. I dont think they will go up, might even go down.
The insurance companies had no incentive to error on the high side since ACA guaranteed them a 3% profit. Their motive was to actually price the policies less than the cost to get more customers because the more customers they had, the more federal kickbacks they would receive.

Some insurance companies are already computing hundreds of millions in bailouts.

If the prices are rising and they are still losing money, it goes to show how much of a failure ACA is because it was supposed to reduce costs and save the average family $2500 a year while insuring every american..

it doesnt do any of that.

Any jacka$$ can tell you that if you add add benefits, reduce limits on cost, add taxes etc, the price is going to go up, and their only saving grace was that they were mandating younger adults to obtain policies which would have spread the cost around, but then they went and added this group onto their parents policies which removed them from the paying equasion thus increasing the costs even more rather than reducing it.

They killed the cost savings measure in their own plan and the only thing left they can do is blame the GOP for pointing out this was going to happen from day one and see how many fools run around repeating the crap while at the same time pretending its a complete success.

Last edited by pghquest; 04-19-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
On Obamacare, the Republican party has bet big on failure for four years. Now the results are in. And they lost. Big time.
Way to early for either side to be claiming the success or failure of obamacare. Several key points have been delayed. Wait till the cake is done baking before we decide how good it tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How is it unconstitutional?
How is mandating people buy something constitutional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Never. Bigots are never on the right side. The GOP is used to getting it wrong and losing. This is why the country has been moving away from them, repulsed by the stench of their nonsense and their efforts to protect only the rich while everyone else goes to hell.
Serious history fail here.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This is why the law has been a 50-50 split among the public.

My old plan was very simple and probably considered a gold plan in 2014. Funny a high deducible plan I had with a max in network $6000 family deducible would be considered gold plan in 2014.

Now I have to consider the "bronze plan" with the $12000 max in network deducible if I wanted to pay the same premiums as I was paying in 2013.

Adding another metal plan? Make it a $18000 deductible? The average medical debt reported by CNN in 2009 highlighted that bankruptcy filings reported medical debt of $17000 for people with insurance.

So a $12000 deductible under the 2014 ACA plans are already getting close to the $17000 average medical debt that drove people to file bankruptcy.

I don't think there is much room for another metal plan with an even higher deductible.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
So...there are still no actual verifiable numbers....

Old 04-19-2014, 06:08 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So...there are still no actual verifiable numbers....
The only verifiable numbers are from Medicaid and children's Medicaid sign ups.

"More than 3 million people have enrolled in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program since October, according to new data released by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Friday."

"But officials did not provide an actual figure of how many people were previously uninsured or got new Medicaid coverage because of the expansion, making it hard to know if the administration is hitting enrollment targets for the program."

Medicaid enrollment up 3M, higher in expansion states - The Washington Post

So we don't know

1. How many would have qualified for regular Medicaid (meaning not under Medicaid expansion ACA)
2. We don't know how many were switch from paying for insurance and now realize they qualify for Medicaid

All we know officially is around 3 million new signed up for Medicaid (regular pre ACA or under new ACA expanded Medicaid expansion. They don't make a distinction whether these people could have had Medicaid without the the ACA law.

This is why the administration must try to inflate every number they can to make it look like the ACA is working.

You got proponents the ACA pointing to the Rand report that "concludes 10 million more people are insured now and it's all due to the ACA.

Yet once you read the information closer you will notice 7.2 million gained insurance through their employer (which means they got jobs that offered insurance). I have no clue how they can say the ACA is responsible for those 7.2 million newly insured. Because most employers (95% of then already offer health insurance prior to the ACA).

They can try to swing for the fences and say the ACA offers small business tax credits to encourage more to offer health care.

One problem with swinging for the fences: the govt delayed the SHOP exchanges

Small business Obamacare online enrollment delayed a year - Jason Millman - POLITICO.com

And less than 10% of small business have taken advantage of the tax credits? Why? Because it's bait and switch. It's very difficult to apply for (my friend owns a small business). And 2014 is the only "big tax credit year". The small business tax credit expires January 1st 2016.

ACA Small Business Health Insurance Tax Credit | RGEB

Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
just the othyer day even Obama said the law needed modification. this is first eyar.wait and see what it cost going forward in driect and indirect cost. 2017 will be a big fund need year for some states.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Never. Bigots are never on the right side. The GOP is used to getting it wrong and losing. This is why the country has been moving away from them, repulsed by the stench of their nonsense and their efforts to protect only the rich while everyone else goes to hell.
We were right about Obamacare crashing and burning

We are right about border security
We are right about school vouchers,
We are right about America`s energy boom
We are right about the IRS scandal
We are right about Fast and Furious
We are right about the 2nd Amendment
We are right the power corrupts and non should be trusted not even our own side...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:23 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama said he will pass a bill which will cover every single american..

Does it?

Who's the failure exactly?
Republicans and right-wingers in general.

When did our president say he'd insure 30 million Americans 7 months into the exchanges? The rate of uninsured is down to 12.9%, the lowest in the history of Gallup-Healthways Survey.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:46 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
So once your best insurance money can buy (which is probably employer sponsored) is eliminated and you get thrown out on the individual market.

Your on your own. You will see the prices yourself. I guess you can suck it yourself. Or keep remaining tied to your employer.
I'm an American. I have every right to be selfish and short sighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies