Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
That has to be the stupidest ideas in history. Do they really think a fence will keep the illegals out? I meant actual legislation that might change things, not a pork-project.

Heard it on Bill O' Reilly a few weeks ago.
There's your problem right there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Third, thin skinned activist celebrities should not be allowed to make misleading political adds for their pet projects.
I don't understand this part. Could you clarify what you mean for me?

I admit I am ignorant on this subject... I don't know about what "pet projects" ads you are referring to. I'm assuming you are talking about how celebrities have such an influence on our culture, especially youth... but can you give me some examples of ads that have been made that you feel shouldnt be allowed?

I guess it just seems to me that if I was an actor and had certain political beliefs i would be happy to express them and to get my message out there. I see nothing wrong with that. Misleading or not, what makes it wrong for them to do this? We see all kinds of misleading political ads from candidates. Well pretty much all advertising and media is midleading to me. How is this not restricting their right to freedom of speech?

Well, I guess because metaphorically speaking, their "megaphone" is larger than ours... I mean, they have the ability to influence people much moreso than you or I just talking about politics, and with that greater range of influence comes a greater responsibility. However, on the other hand, seems like that in itself is a very good reason to want to speak out... the responsibility. Maybe these people believe they have a responsiblilty to speak out because they are celebrities. What makes this any different than political campaign ads? The general public should be able to hear peoples opinins and then decide what they believe, not be censored from peoples opinions, right?

sorry... i dont mean to jump on you, just thinking really fast... and wondering what you meant behind your statement as it was not clear to me.

Last edited by mariatherese; 10-25-2006 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I don't understand this part. Could you clarify what you mean for me?

I admit I am ignorant on this subject... I don't know about what "pet projects" ads you are referring to. I'm assuming you are talking about how celebrities have such an influence on our culture, especially youth... but can you give me some examples of ads that have been made that you feel shouldnt be allowed?

I guess it just seems to me that if I was an actor and had certain political beliefs i would be happy to express them and to get my message out there. I see nothing wrong with that. Misleading or not, what makes it wrong for them to do this? We see all kinds of misleading political ads from candidates. Well pretty much all advertising and media is midleading to me. How is this not restricting their right to freedom of speech?

Well, I guess because metaphorically speaking, their "megaphone" is larger than ours... I mean, they have the ability to influence people much moreso than you or I just talking about politics, and with that greater range of influence comes a greater responsibility. However, on the other hand, seems like that in itself is a very good reason to want to speak out... the responsibility. Maybe these people believe they have a responsiblilty to speak out because they are celebrities. Its not like

I think he is referring to the Michael J Fox ad.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
i dont watch TV. i am so out of the loop.

OK so not having seen it, i can guess what it is about obviously. and i have no problem with someone expressing what they believe in and trying to rally people together. nope. it would be wrong to censor him.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
No more on Michael J Fox vs Rush Limbaugh. There is a thread on that in Other Topics, take it there.

Back to the ACT of voting.

s/Mike

Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
....lets talk about the act of voting and how to encourage more citizens to come out and vote. First, we should require US citizenship for voting. Not just a check mark on a line on a drivers license application form. Second, every person should be required to provide valid picture ID before being allowed to vote.....
I agree. If we water down the process of registering to vote too much, we'll see games of various sorts, like deceased citizens voting, and the old big city joke of "vote early - vote often." Agree too that a valid photo I-D should be shown. These two steps should go a long ways to stop the games that could be played.

I'm not too fond of the idea of people voting over the internet, seems that could be rigged and gamed any number of ways. Perhaps some sort of technical certification, like I recall being used when I worked for the Army, would certify that it really is who it says it is on the other end of the line. Do we have any software security types who can comment on this aspect?

As more electronics (i.e., laptop PCs, etc) are used as voting machines at the polling places, I'm leery of them being used to track how I voted on the ballot. Does anyone have this concern?

Thanks!
s/Mike

Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I agree. If we water down the process of registering to vote too much, we'll see games of various sorts, like deceased citizens voting, and the old big city joke of "vote early - vote often." Agree too that a valid photo I-D should be shown. These two steps should go a long ways to stop the games that could be played.

I'm not too fond of the idea of people voting over the internet, seems that could be rigged and gamed any number of ways. Perhaps some sort of technical certification, like I recall being used when I worked for the Army, would certify that it really is who it says it is on the other end of the line. Do we have any software security types who can comment on this aspect?

As more electronics (i.e., laptop PCs, etc) are used as voting machines at the polling places, I'm leery of them being used to track how I voted on the ballot. Does anyone have this concern?

Thanks!
s/Mike
The problem is, the "game" isn't that all these illegals are posing as US Citizens and trying to get away with voting, or that all these city folk are trying to vote multiple times. There is absolutely no credible evidence out there that says this is true. Requiring photo IDs is discriminatory and amounts to a new "Jim Crow" law. What about the people who don't have drivers' licenses, or older people who just have their names and addresses on them? What about people who don't have time to go down to their local county clerk's office during business hours, or people who don't have the means to get there? You are opening up a huge can of worms by requiring something like this.

The "game" IS that we have voting machines that only a third-world banana republic could be proud of. The "game" is that we have hackable voting machines that don't even produce paper receipts. ATMs do. Why don't voting machines? The "game" is that we have districts where they have one or two voting machines for thousands of potential voters, leaving them standing in line for hours. Some leave because they can't afford to take the time off from work, or are afraid of being fired (usually in poor districts). The "game" is that we have some state governors using technicalities to wipe hundreds of thousands of voters of the opposing party off the rolls. The "game" is that we have congressional candidates sending threatening flyers to naturalized Hispanics warning them not to vote or risk being deported, and no one comes out and condemns this or does much to try to correct this blatantly false "information".

It astonishes me how the supposedly most advance society in the world can't even ensure fair elections, and doesn't even seem to be very interested in trying.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:21 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Thanks!
s/Mike
Yes, these electronic voting machines are a major threat to fair elections! We should all try to vote with absentee ballots as much as possible, since they are paper and have an obvious 'trail'. Did anyone see the report on Lou Dobbs about the Princeton student? professor? (I forget) who showed exactly how these electronic machines can be hacked and the card in one machine can be used to infect many others? Scary, and I don't trust 'government' to do anything much about it. I smell a citizens' revolution in the air!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
The problem is, the "game" isn't that all these illegals are posing as US Citizens and trying to get away with voting, or that all these city folk are trying to vote multiple times. There is absolutely no credible evidence out there that says this is true. Requiring photo IDs is discriminatory and amounts to a new "Jim Crow" law. What about the people who don't have drivers' licenses, or older people who just have their names and addresses on them? What about people who don't have time to go down to their local county clerk's office during business hours, or people who don't have the means to get there? You are opening up a huge can of worms by requiring something like this.

The "game" IS that we have voting machines that only a third-world banana republic could be proud of. The "game" is that we have hackable voting machines that don't even produce paper receipts. ATMs do. Why don't voting machines? The "game" is that we have districts where they have one or two voting machines for thousands of potential voters, leaving them standing in line for hours. Some leave because they can't afford to take the time off from work, or are afraid of being fired (usually in poor districts). The "game" is that we have some state governors using technicalities to wipe hundreds of thousands of voters of the opposing party off the rolls. The "game" is that we have congressional candidates sending threatening flyers to naturalized Hispanics warning them not to vote or risk being deported, and no one comes out and condemns this or does much to try to correct this blatantly false "information".

It astonishes me how the supposedly most advance society in the world can't even ensure fair elections, and doesn't even seem to be very interested in trying.
We are required to show a photo I.D. here in FL. I don't drive, but because a photo I.D. is needed for so many things now, I have one. Like I said, I don't drive, but I made it to the DMV to get my I.D. It isn't that hard and I certainly don't see it as discriminatory. If you have the time to vote--you have the time to get an I.D.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Ifyou dont have to show ID how would anyone know you are an actual american citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies