Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:01 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I'm a 51 year old black man and anyone who thinks we are more divided now than years past is simply crazy. Period and end of conversation.

Reggie
pretty much.

maybe they're teenagers or something, that could explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
In my immigrant parents' (85 years old) generation the country was much more divided than today. The racial, cultural, and economical divides were much wider and prevalent.

In my time (55 years old), I think we start seeing a more informed/educated society, as a whole, whom wants change. The common thinking is becoming a bit more uniform. People are becoming more accepting of each other than previously.

In my kids' (30 years old) generation, I think that they are definitely much more united as a whole. They can see pass the differences in race, religion, class, etc. Their willingness to work with each other is much more natural.

Now, it seems to me that as the people of this country are uniting, there is an element whom is trying to create a divide and send us back 50 to 60 years ago.
Oh my, there is an element that is trying to send us back 50 years lol. You've been listening to MSNBC obviously. How DARE people not worship the ground Obama walks on, how DARE, ANYONE disagree with your god Obama. Lose it, you are acting like a democratic useful idiot.

The start was when democrats rammed Obamacare in without one republican vote. You do realize there was supposed to be input from BOTH sides don't you?

Obama wags his finger and attacks republicans from the beginning and you expect anyone to want to work with him. Someone forgot to tell Obama, he is president, not dictator.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,113,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh my, there is an element that is trying to send us back 50 years lol. You've been listening to MSNBC obviously. How DARE people not worship the ground Obama walks on, how DARE, ANYONE disagree with your god Obama. Lose it, you are acting like a democratic useful idiot.

The start was when democrats rammed Obamacare in without one republican vote. You do realize there was supposed to be input from BOTH sides don't you?

Obama wags his finger and attacks republicans from the beginning and you expect anyone to want to work with him. Someone forgot to tell Obama, he is president, not dictator.
Umm . . . I didn't vote for Obama. As I have stated in many posts, I do not agree with ACA or some of Obama's actions. Nonetheless, he is still my President.

It's exactly the uninitiated ramblings of people, such as yourself, which add fuel to the divide.

Petch, thankfully, not everything is doom and gloom, as you would like others to believe.

You have made many points, which I agree with. However, your passion has some how turned into an obsession.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
For those of you who honestly say that this country is more divided than it has ever been, please tell me... HOW? It's a simple question.

How in the hell is this country more divided now than it was during the Revolutionary War when there were many people still loyal to the British crown? How is it more divided than it was during the Civil War? How is it more divided than it was during the tumultuous times of the 1960's? Even just 20 years ago with the Rodney King verdict and OJ Trial, you mean to tell me that it's more divided NOW?

Seriously.
More divided now because of the Us Versus Them mentality .The Us side thinks they are right as well as the them side thinking their way is the only way. There is no longer of a feeling that it I Americans not Us versus them
Oh look they have more money they are evil, oh look they disagree the must be a racist or a communist.
Oh look they for traditional marriage so they hate gay. Oh look they are for gay marriage and don't respect traditional marriage believers. Oh look the president is black so if you disagree with a policy its because he is black.Oh look there is a black president if you agree with him its because you hate conservatives . There is no one talking about Americans
We talk about the rich not Americans, we talk about the poor instead of talking about Americans. Being an American was once like being in a large family you knew crazy Aunt Bessie was nuts but you better not let anyone outside the family say so because she was family.
Now instead of Americans we are gay Americas afro Americans Mexican Americans rich Americans poor American gay Americans, Instead of being Americans we are labeled something before Americans.
when we see each other as American instead of a label we can begin again to rebuild

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I'm a 51 year old black man and anyone who thinks we are more divided now than years past is simply crazy. Period and end of conversation.

Reggie
The real division is not racial, it's partisan--and it began with Newt Gingrich. There hasn't been a time since the Civil War that the two primary parties have not been able to make compromises on even the most prosaic national business without brinksmanship. The only time now they can do it is when big banking interests weigh in as the forth branch of government.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
You gotta be kidding me. Please tell me you're under 40 because the 1980s and even the '60s were a paradise of unity compared to the division you see today.

When you watch TV and see images of protestors in the '60s and the LA riots in the early '90s remember that these were just a tiny, loud part of society back then.

Even back then you'd really just see that stuff on TV in some far away city. Today there is no escaping the counterculture, the hate, the calls of racism. It's everywhere and in your face and it's being taught in every school and on every college campus.

But still , imagine how impossible it would be to still a civil war today.

People are so helpless without their cushy jobs, Facebook pages and consumer conveniences that doing something that would threaten all this stuff like taking sides in a violent secessionist movement is nearly impossible. Things would have to get much, much worse for anything like that to happen.

But that's not to say that people aren't still more politically divided and angry, perhaps even more than they were during the civil war.

But as with China as long as the economy is rolling nothing will happen and there will be no "regime change".
The impossibility of a civil war today, depends on what one believes a war like that entails.

Civil Liberties and Civil Rights [ushistory.org]

"Protection of civil liberties and civil rights is basic to American political values, but the process is far from easy. Protecting one person's right may involve violating those of another."

^^^ There's the division rather than the unity. More so today than at any other time in history.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Umm . . . I didn't vote for Obama. As I have stated in many posts, I do not agree with ACA or some of Obama's actions. Nonetheless, he is still my President.

It's exactly the uninitiated ramblings of people, such as yourself, which add fuel to the divide.

Petch, thankfully, not everything is doom and gloom, as you would like others to believe.

You have made many points, which I agree with. However, your passion has some how turned into an obsession.

And if you didn't have problems with reading and comprehension you would see I didn't say you voted for Obama. What I did say is you are simply repeating accusations that is told on Liberal media. Here, I'll help you out with a repost. Can you point out where I said you voted for Obama?

Wow, defensive aren't you?

Quote:

Old 04-28-2014, 03:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Divided, sure. But not more than it has ever been. What a ridiculous statement.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The real division is not racial, it's partisan--and it began with Newt Gingrich. There hasn't been a time since the Civil War that the two primary parties have not been able to make compromises on even the most prosaic national business without brinksmanship. The only time now they can do it is when big banking interests weigh in as the forth branch of government.
Hit the nail right on the head. The Gingrich fiasco was followed by the 2000 election which was so close, due to the polarized country, that the Supreme Court made the final call. It has only become worse since then. When Obama was elected a branch of the right went further right (TParty), thus further polarization. Maybe we've been divided in the past, but aside from the Vietnam War period, nothing like post-Gingrich et. al.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:24 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,113,275 times
Quote:
And if you didn't have problems with reading and comprehension you would see I didn't say you voted for Obama. What I did say is you are simply repeating accusations that is told on Liberal media. Here, I'll help you out with a repost. Can you point out where I said you voted for Obama?

Wow, defensive aren't you?
Yes . . . Perhaps, I did over react to your post. For that I apologize, really.

Look, based on what you have posted about yourself, people like you and I are much better off than most. For that I am personally quite thankful. Could it be better? Of course it could. However, in light of everything, I truly find it difficult to complain about my situation.

In my 30s and 40s, I might have been a bit more indifferent to the plight of others. Since retiring, I have shifted some of my views. Perhaps, this 36 year registered Republican has become a Moderate.

Hey, no hard feelings. I trust that it all works out for everyone, at some point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies