Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US keep the internet Neutral ? (Net Neutrality)
Yes 104 73.24%
No 37 26.06%
I don't care 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How can I be against something you won't explain? You've started a couple threads on this and I'm asking you about how you propose we stop it.

Its O.K. to say "I don't know but I still don't like it". Forgive me for trying to get you to propose some solutions.
Pkopp,
This may help on both counts. Certainly, first is understanding what the issues are and what is being proposed. Then a discussion on possible impacts is important. We already have plenty in place. I see no need for this. I think it is a trend in the wrong direction. Certainly, bringing attention to it and discussing is helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Given what has been allowed in the name of commerce, I would think this to be a big opening for the camel.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/0...net-neutrality
quote:
The FCC issued a statement this morning that claims that the new network neutrality proposal will not allow ISPs to, “act in a commercially unreasonable manner to harm the Internet, including favoring the traffic from an affiliated entity.” But we have no idea as to how “commercially reasonable” will actually be interpreted.
The devil will be in the details. While all we have now is a statement that a proposal for what the proposed rules might look like is being circulated in private within the FCC, the public should be poised to act. In an FCC rulemaking process, the commission issues what’s called a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM). After the NPRM is issued, the public is invited to comment to the FCC about how their proposal will affect the interest of the public.
The FCC is required by law to respond to public comments, so it’s extremely important that we let the FCC know that rules that let ISPs pick and choose how certain companies reach consumers will not be tolerated.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
So you are saying thats its very important to contact the FCC and tell them they are on a wrong path.

No so difficult. I don't know that they care but its something.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
So you are saying thats its very important to contact the FCC and tell them they are on a wrong path.

No so difficult. I don't know that they care but its something.
Well I can understand your response. Can't pretend we don't have major problems with our system. However, bringing a topic out to the public debate often is very useful for many reasons. I don't think the FCC public comment is the only option either. It's up to individuals to decide what they want to do though. EFF is a good source on topics of this sort though and action, as well.

Behind closed doors, in the dead of night, slipped in a bill, etc.... some opaque darker place, is usually how much gets passed that many people would otherwise not approve.

Some good information on this.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/net-neutrality

This article is also worth a read.
Peering into the Soft Underbelly of Net Neutrality
quote:
Comcast’s solution: charge Level 3 to deliver content to Comcast subscribers. That meant Comcast was trying to charge users to connect to the Internet and charge data centers to connect to users—a doubly profitable solution. The companies have since struck a cost-sharing deal, the finer details of which are spelled out in secretive peering agreements.

Last edited by CDusr; 04-30-2014 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Well I can understand your response. Can't pretend we don't have major problems with our system. However, bringing a topic out to the public debate often is very useful for many reasons. I don't think the FCC public comment is the only option either. It's up to individuals to decide what they want to do though. EFF is a good source on topics of this sort though and action, as well.

Behind closed doors, in the dead of night, slipped in a bill, etc.... some opaque darker place, is usually how much gets passed that many people would otherwise not approve.
I asked earlier whether or not we should hold those responsible that would do this but wasn't able to get a reply.

Should we not? How about those who say they are for N.N. to get you to vote for them but then flip once elected?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
EFF is a good source on topics of this sort though and action, as well.
Sending folks to EFF for info about net neutrality is like sending folks to Americans for Democratic Action for info about Justice in Immigration Reform.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I have never seen an ISP or telecom corps not have a set price for a set plan.
In the past the plan is usually "unlimited" and at most might have a bandwidth cap, the 250GB cap Comcast had was more than generous for most people and they might of used 5% to 10% of it. You had a small percentage of people using the service heavily downloading movies over bittorrent or whatever. This "unlimited" BS was just a marketing gimmick, they do the same thing with $5 hosting plans for web sites offering unlimited this and that because they know that 99.9% of the sites are going to have very little traffic. Those with heavy traffic will run into CPU limits which are never well defined in small print and will have to upgrade. Try finding a dedicated server with anything unlimited, not going to happen because they know that customer is actually going to use it. The amount of data you can transfer is going to be well defined.

The average customers usage is increasing because of services like Netflix and sites like Youtube etc. The "unlimited" plan is unworkable and really not fair to those not using those high bandwidth services. Somebody has to pay for this increased usage and again the only way to do that while maintaining a level playing field amongst content providers is to offload those costs onto the consumer based on how much they use.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Obama and Net Neutrality: Campaign Video Surfaces -- Fusion.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sending folks to EFF for info about net neutrality is like sending folks to Americans for Democratic Action for info about Justice in Immigration Reform.
Everyone has a bias. I did not say they were the only source. The content and it's source are also important.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In the past the plan is usually "unlimited" and at most might have a bandwidth cap, the 250GB cap Comcast had was more than generous for most people and they might of used 5% to 10% of it. You had a small percentage of people using the service heavily downloading movies over bittorrent or whatever. This "unlimited" BS was just a marketing gimmick, they do the same thing with $5 hosting plans for web sites offering unlimited this and that because they know that 99.9% of the sites are going to have very little traffic. Those with heavy traffic will run into CPU limits which are never well defined in small print and will have to upgrade. Try finding a dedicated server with anything unlimited, not going to happen because they know that customer is actually going to use it. The amount of data you can transfer is going to be well defined.

The average customers usage is increasing because of services like Netflix and sites like Youtube etc. The "unlimited" plan is unworkable and really not fair to those not using those high bandwidth services. Somebody has to pay for this increased usage and again the only way to do that while maintaining a level playing field amongst content providers is to offload those costs onto the consumer based on how much they use.
It's always been this way. ISPs have been raising rates considerably. Across the board. Most of the so-called speeds they claim are also a gimmick. They use those, just like bulks services, special prices with changing/vague terms, contracts etc... to keep people in a set ever increasing monthly pmt.

Unlimited has always been a gimmick. Overselling is not uncommon. The little guys are the ones mainly counting on it for selling. Only a small percentage usually ever abuse or hit these limits. The bigger guys have always had TOS, clearly defined plans and have been doing very well financially. So have govt investments in these corps.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I asked earlier whether or not we should hold those responsible that would do this but wasn't able to get a reply.

Should we not? How about those who say they are for N.N. to get you to vote for them but then flip once elected?
A major problem we have is individual accountability and transparency. I think it is important, however different people may have different ideas about how to go about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies