Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
First, I suggest you read the thread; two members described their experience. I am too old to recall every detail, but the mere suggestion that the students did not stand and recite the pledge sent a big fat alert to the Principal's office...and who knows what all happened to those bad kids that didn't rise and shine.
I'll take their (and your) word for it. Having done so, though, aren't you really describing situations in which shcool personnel acted imppoperly, since the Pledge is not mandatory. rather than an objection to the pledge itself?

Or is it the Pledge that you find troublesome?

Or just the dreaded "G" word?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Nowhere did I say

a) I objected to the pledge.

b) objected to the use of the word "God."

or anything other than when I went to school, and that is elementary school, grades K-8, it was mandatory.

Why are you reading into my simple, straightforward, well constructed posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'll take their (and your) word for it. Having done so, though, aren't you really describing situations in which shcool personnel acted imppoperly, since the Pledge is not mandatory. rather than an objection to the pledge itself?

Or is it the Pledge that you find troublesome?

Or just the dreaded "G" word?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Nowhere did I say

a) I objected to the pledge.

b) objected to the use of the word "God."

or anything other than when I went to school, and that is elementary school, grades K-8, it was mandatory.

Why are you reading into my simple, straightforward, well constructed posts?
May I ask, how long ago were your educational experiences with mandatory saying of the Pledge?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 AM

If you read the thread I clearly mentioned when I went to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
May I ask, how long ago were your educational experiences with mandatory saying of the Pledge?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Quote:
Mine was.... 13 years ago was the first time I was sent to the ISS room for not saying the pledge "correctly".

Almost 30 children and myself had to write the pledge 100 times before being released back to class.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
If you read the thread I clearly mentioned when I went to school.
Sorry to offend you

Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Mine was.... 13 years ago was the first time I was sent to the ISS room for not saying the pledge "correctly".

Almost 30 children and myself had to write the pledge 100 times before being released back to class.
Thank you for your response - very polite of you

I'm frankly surprised to hear of your experience (and that of your classmates). As I said, I have not heard of anything like this out here in the West happening in the last 30 + years

Once again - thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
I find it interesting - and, I take seriously their statements

I must say however, I know of no such situation here in the West - and I have family and friends in edcuation - in the Classroom and Administration - and there are no cases out here

I guess they do stuff differently in the East
Here are a couple of western states that do require the Pledge of Allegiance to be recited in public schools:

Quote:
California Education Code, Section 52720. In every public elementary school each day during the school year at the beginning of the first regularly scheduled class or activity period at which the majority of the pupils of the school normally begin the schoolday, there shall be conducted appropriate patriotic exercises. The giving of the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America shall satisfy the requirements of this section.

In every public secondary school there shall be conducted daily appropriate patriotic exercises. The giving of the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America shall satisfy such requirement. Such patriotic exercises for secondary schools shall be conducted in accordance with the regulations which shall be adopted by the governing board of the district maintaining the secondary school
Quote:
Louisiana Rev. Stat. Ann., Section 17:2115. Each parish and city school board in the state shall also permit the proper authorities of each school to allow the opportunity for group recitation of the ‘Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.’ Such recitation shall occur at the commencement of the first class of each day in all grades and in all public schools
Quote:
Nevada Revised Statute 389.040 Patriotic observance. Each public school shall set aside appropriate time at the beginning of each school day for pupils to pledge their allegiance to the flag of the United States. In addition, each public school may set aside appropriate time during the school day for additional patriotic observance.
Quote:
New Mexico Statute, Section 22-5-4.5; New Mexico Administrative Code 6.10.2. Local school boards shall provide that the pledge of allegiance shall be recited daily in each public school in the school district according to regulations adopted by the state board
Other western states, such as Texas and Utah, require a written statement from the pupil or teacher before they can be exempted from reciting the Pledge. North Dakota makes it voluntary for students, but not teachers. Mind you, these are just the "western" states, there are several states east of the Mississippi River that also make reciting the Pledge mandatory, and one (Wisconsin) that also makes reciting the Pledge in private schools mandatory.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Quite frankly I am offended by the fact that once more a member feels it his/her duty to invalidate my personal experiences.

In this thread, two members felt it necessary to say or imply that not 1, but 4 members were inaccurately reporting their experience(s) with the fulfillment of saying the Pledge. I had forgotten about one of the four, myself included.

Not experiencing something does not mean it doesn't happen elsewhere, and it may have happened in the West, and you may not have heard about. And frankly, I don't know where the 3 other members who reported their experience live.

Quote:
Sorry to offend you

Old 12-10-2007, 11:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
We really need to respect each other a bit.

Thread too personal in comments.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies