Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,634,681 times

Advertisements

Father was (WWII), brother is (Vietnam), a Marine. You don't "join the Marine Corps". You "become a Marine".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There are military services other than the Marine Corps.

This really isn't all that complicated. The oath you take upon entering military service is spelled out. If from that one can't figure out what loyalty is or how to interpret it, then maybe they shouldn't be in the military.

A soldier's order of loyalty? It figures, only a Marine would ask, everyone else already figured it out.
well, if everybody else already figured it out, then there shouldn't be any discussion, should there?

I think he (a soldier) explained the concept of loyalty pretty well in this article. It is an interesting read

"loyalty is the mustard seed from which a just and honorable career is planted.
Loyalty is speaking up when you see something you know is wrong.
Loyalty is accomplishing the mission to the best of your ability even when you dislike your leaders and your unit
Where I think loyalty is more frequently lacking is the supervisor to subordinate realm.
It’s easy for troops to display loyalty to their leaders. Often, they have no choice. We are in a profession that demands loyalty to ensure success on the battlefield and preparing for it. However, loyalty doesn’t mean being a “yes man.” There is a delicate balancing act that must be undertaken to ensure that,"

Army Values – Loyalty | A Soldier's Perspective

Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I heard from many combat Marine friends of mine that in the battle field, it is NEVER about politics, freedom, you or I, even country or God. It is about the brotherhood formed in combat. The kind of love they never knew exist. They will never leave one Marine behind. This is something civilians will never understand.

As a civilian, I admit that I will never understand this kind of loyalty, but I respect that very much.
that is because they formed a bond of friendship and family that supersedes any country, nation or even their superiors.

that bond through hardship and death is not easily broken because you fight together though hard times.
unlike the treasonous elite we have in congress and government.

its like choosing your love+family+friends vs your country.

which one would you choose.
everything dear to you on one side and the other where it is your country?

A country is about the people you care about and forming bonds with others and without that countries in general are just NOTHING and utterly worthless.

the only reason people do not abandon their country is because they have too many things grounded and they want to protect their loved ones NOT just the country.
it is to protect the PEOPLE INSIDE the country.

SOLDIERS DO NOT SWEAR loyalty to any nation but they swear loyalty to protect the common PEOPLE the ones that determine the true fate and true character of a country.
NOT THE ELITES.

The constitution and the bill of rights are just a summation of the loyalty to the people and what their true duty lays.
but some idiots the donkey and the elephants are arguing that that the promise should be broken.

basically meaning those that advocate ignoring the constitution wants to break the promise the contract that binds that loyalty.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
that is because they formed a bond of friendship and family that supersedes any country, nation or even their superiors.

A country is about the people you care about and forming bonds with others and without that countries in general are just NOTHING and utterly worthless.

the only reason people do not abandon their country is because they have too many things grounded and they want to protect their loved ones NOT just the country.
it is to protect the PEOPLE INSIDE the country.

SOLDIERS DO NOT SWEAR loyalty to any nation but they swear loyalty to protect the common PEOPLE the ones that determine the true fate and true character of a country.
NOT THE ELITES.

The constitution and the bill of rights are just a summation of the loyalty to the people and what their true duty lays.
but some idiots the donkey and the elephants are arguing that that the promise should be broken.

basically meaning those that advocate ignoring the constitution wants to break the promise the contract that binds that loyalty.
I think your concept of loyalty makes a lot of sense. The oath to never leave a fallen comrade is a promise made to each other, that even if they die, their brothers in arms will do everything they can to bring them home.

I think you are right that the loyalty should be the people inside the country.

This last speech from the movie "black hawk down" explains the concept of loyalty pretty clearly.

Black Hawk Down last speech - YouTube

Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
It's about saving your brothers, and your ass. Everyone deserves to come home alive and in one piece.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,172,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh is that why you bubble heads were always odd ducks? Too much time underwater in close quarters?

When I was in the Marine Corps, I would say it was first my unit, and then the Corps, country, etc. Really, it was primarily the people that served right alongside me though.
rotflmao. My "X" brother in law once said the marines had it made, with us navy boys to chauffeur him around, till I reminded him that they didn't trust him to pilot a tricycle, let alone a ship.

Joking aside, we both knew we couldn't do the other's job, I couldn't be a marine, he couldn't get locked in a sub and submerged for months on end.

We however see things the same way, You and your unit, me, and my shipmates, (Our unit), the service we were a part of, and the country we served.

Last edited by Darkatt; 04-29-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,203,719 times
IMO, this is the most important and relevant of a military oath:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies