Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is to me usually unnecessary for elected officials to use name calling to make a point about policy, but is that comment racist to normal people? nah
Indeed, it is. It's listed in The Color of Words: An Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sure it's possible.

That just means that his beliefs lead him to servility. In that case, I'm declaring war on his beliefs.

What's the skin in the game for you anyway? You're not black. This is between Thomas and the African-American community.
The "skin in the game" is that we are people and Americans first. I dont give a damn what color I am, but when I see someone treated a certain way because the dont "act and think like their skin color is supposed to make them" than they deserve to be defended from the likes of you.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Sure it's possible.

That just means that his beliefs lead him to servility. In that case, I'm declaring war on his beliefs.

What's the skin in the game for you anyway? You're not black. This is between Thomas and the African-American community.
They are confused..

They scream "solve your own problems" then turn around and try to tell us how or complain that we are doing it wrong.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
You forgot something:

So racists dont think they're racists because theyve been taught that they have to believe a certain way and their skin color comes first, or they are a traitor to their race.
Certainly racism is America is based on a certain type of thinking, but racism in America is 100% based on white supremacy.

Meaning everyone in America is taught that it is the natural order of things if blah, blah, blah a lot of good thoughts about white Americans, and they are taught that black people are a broken, messed up, failing group of people who deserve their lower position by their own hand in America.

In America that is how racist thinking flows. Everything else is a response/reaction to that fundamental reality.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Why be tied to your race in everything you do, believe and say? How in the world does that heal or improve society when all the drives you is some made up notion on how you're supposed to act, believe, feel, etc?

And I apologize for the term I am about to use, but at the moment I cant think of another. It's as if you're a slave to the color of your skin based of a thought process Lord knows who made up. Most likely someone like Sharpton or Jackson.

Believe you have to live life through race and that your skin color comes first and foremost is an awful way to live. And it is no wonder this country will never get past race issues. Some are taught and its driven into them that if they dare not think how they're supposed to, because they're black, than they are traitors. Dont you realize how bad that is? The loudest voices out there on race DO NOT want society to move on and get better. They LIVE, THRIVE, have a sense or PURPOSE off all this. That doesn't help you, or us. It helps THEM.
Black folks didn't create this dilemma. White folks did. And by doing so, it forced blacks to examine life through the prism of race. We didn't want this, but this is what it is. Of course, NOW you're complaining about it.

I'll put race aside when I'm supposed to. But on this issue, I'm not supposed to...nor will I.

I don't like Clarence Thomas. He's all wrong for the job.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Indeed, it is. It's listed in The Color of Words: An Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States.
Well good for that book that no one has ever heard of and has nothing to do with if a comment is or isn't thought to be racist.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Why be tied to your race in everything you do, believe and say?
Good question.
Quote:
Believe you have to live life through race and that your skin color comes first and foremost is an awful way to live. And it is no wonder this country will never get past race issues. Some are taught and its driven into them that if they dare not think how they're supposed to, because they're black, than they are traitors. Dont you realize how bad that is? The loudest voices out there on race DO NOT want society to move on and get better. They LIVE, THRIVE, have a sense or PURPOSE off all this. That doesn't help you, or us. It helps THEM.
No, many don't realize that.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Sure it's possible.

I still don't have my answer. What exactly has Clarence Thomas done or not done that makes him an Uncle Tom?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
They are confused..

They scream "solve your own problems" then turn around and try to tell us how or complain that we are doing it wrong.
How does expecting someone to act or make decisions based on their race solve any problems?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
The "skin in the game" is that we are people and Americans first. I dont give a damn what color I am, but when I see someone treated a certain way because the dont "act and think like their skin color is supposed to make them" than they deserve to be defended from the likes of you.
You can't defend him nor can you help him with his own people. It's a waste of your time.

Get a hobby. That would be better use of your time.

I respect your opinion...believe me, I do.

But we're not hanging suggestion boxes outside of the door....sorry.

I promise you however that when we open the floor to suggestions, you'll be the first one I'll call! (Which will be never)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies