Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You know that anything that happened before, say, 1964, is irrelevant to this discussion, as the Republicans explicitly decided to appeal to white racism and "states' rights" in the wake of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. You have heard of the "Southern Strategy," yes?

And your fantasy about the NRA?

"Like the KKK, the NRA was also formed right after the Civil War. The organization's first major involvement with promoting gun laws tainted by prejudice was in the 1920s and 30s. In response to urban gun violence often associated with immigrants, especially those from Italy, the NRA's president, Karl Frederick, helped draft model legislation to restrict concealed carry of firearms in public. States, Frederick's model law recommended, should only allow concealed carry by people with a license, and those licenses should be restricted to "suitable" people with "proper reason for carrying" a gun in public. Thanks to the NRA's endorsement, these laws were adopted in the majority of states. Determining who was "suitable" under these licensing schemes was left to the discretion of local law enforcement. Predictably, racial minorities and disfavored immigrants were usually deemed unsuitable, no matter how serious a threat they faced. In 1956, after his house was firebombed, Martin Luther King Jr. was turned down when he applied for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Montgomery, Alabama.

"The 1960s saw another wave of gun control laws that were, at least in part, motivated by race. After Malcolm X promised to fight for civil rights "by any means necessary" while posing for Ebony magazine with an M1 Carbine rifle in his hand and the Black Panthers took to streets of Oakland with loaded guns, conservatives like Ronald Reagan, then governor of California, began promoting gun control. Black radicals with guns, coupled with the devastating race riots that wiped out whole neighborhoods in Newark and Detroit in 1967, helped persuade Congress to pass the Gun Control Act of 1968. That law barred felons from purchasing firearms, expanded the licensing of gun dealers, and barred imports of "Saturday Night Specials"—cheap, often poorly made guns that were frequently used for crime by urban youth. As one gun control supporter at the time frankly admitted, a close look at that law revealed that it wasn't really about controlling guns; it was about controlling blacks. And the NRA, in its signature publication, American Rifleman, took credit for the law and extolled its virtues."

Gun Control, Racism, and the NRA: A History | New Republic

What were you saying about the NRA advocating for black folks? Pure BS - like the rest of your prior post.

"Entitlement?" Who the hell are you, Newt Gingrich?

I got all I need. Barry Goldwater. George Wallace. Richard Nixon. Lee Atwater. Willie Horton.

How about you get a clue?
So you don't know what Entitlement programs are? And LBJ made that quote. How about you look at where all you sources come from and tell me which way they lean? The New Republic?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You need to study up... those racist Dems down south became Repubs after Jim Crow passed.
Wrong! Those racist democrat governors setting dogs and fire hoses on blacks, and senators were filibustering the civil Rights act, were all democrats, and they remained democrats.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
White people who voted for Obama were said to do so due to "white guilt"

..and tons of RWNJ's use Liberal as a slur on CD. Not sure why but they love that word.

It keeps their teeth white.
You must have replied to the wrong post, since nothing you said was relevant.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Blacks have ownership of the conversation WITHIN their own community, and we're not taking suggestions from the likes of you.
Who is "we?" I've had conversations with many in the black community and been welcomed. I think you mean "I."

Quote:
Now you can call that racist, but that's just the way it is..
I don't find it racist, perhaps a little sad and narrow-minded.

Quote:
Moreover, why are you pretending to be so ignorant? You already know this. You know better than to inject yourself into black issues when not solicited and you've always behaved accordingly up to now.So keep behaving accordingly.
A Supreme Court Justice and pressures applied to him are not simply "black issues."
I do generally stay out of such conversations, but when you post a topic on an internet forum, it is open for comment.

Quote:
Clarence Thomas, until he makes a change, will be the object of scorn by the majority of black folks. I don't understand why you can't wrap your mind around that. Stop trying to convince us to see him otherwise. You can't. You're wasting your time.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything, nor do I think you're open to being convinced. I am trying to understand the use of the belittling label of Uncle Tom versus an honest and respectful disagreement based on ideas.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You may think so, but he's also been called a RINO, as has Colin Powell.
Calling Colin Powell A RINO Is Too Insulting To RINOs

RINO is an equal opportunity political ideology slur.

"Uncle Tom" is a racial slur.

Per your linked article, that is WHITE people calling or referring to other white people calling Colin Powell a RINO.

Black people overwhelmingly like and/or can stomach Colin Powell and he is not considered an "Uncle Tom." Allen West is considered an Uncle Tom. Both are conservatives and both are black but the majority of blacks see them in different ways.

On Colin Powell it was so funny to see so many conservatives turn against him and label him as being on a "plantation" lol due to his support of the current president. You all want us on your plantation and don't want us to think critically it seems.

You need to explain to those reading how is "Uncle Tom" a racial slur. As stated it is based upon a political ideology and this is proven by your own examples. Not all black conservatives are considered Uncle Toms by black people. Colin Powell - not Uncle Tom. Allen West - Uncle Tom.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Yeah, cuz RINO is a white man's word.

Of course Uncle Tom is not used to describe someone as a racist, but we know what calling a person an Uncle Tom means
On the bold, that is true. It was something created by white people so it is a white man's political term.

And in your opinion what characteristics does an Uncle Tom possess other than being a black conservative.

As stated, black people don't consider all black conservatives to be an Uncle Tom. There are specific political characteristics that someone has to display to be given that title.

Let me know what you consider an Uncle Tom and I'll let you know what some of those characteristics are. I doubt our lists will match because you only see things in a specific political fashion based on viewing conservative ideology as "freedom." Conservative ideology can be just as dogmatic and damaging as liberals.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Per your linked article, that is WHITE people calling or referring to other white people calling Colin Powell a RINO.
Exactly. White, Black, Hispanic, etc., people are called RINOs when they claim to be Republican but act against Republican beliefs. A RINO can be any race/ethnicity.
Quote:
You need to explain to those reading how is "Uncle Tom" a racial slur.
I have many times. Again, "Uncle Tom" is a specific derogatory reference to a Black character, used exclusively to deride Blacks. It's that discrimination that makes it a racial slur.

There's actually an existing Poll and thread on whether or not "Uncle Tom" is a racial slur:
Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is the thing I don't get about conservatives, and it was mentioned somewhere else, conservatives are definitely of the opinion that black people have "their own problems", that only black people can fix.

Explicit in that is that the problems of black people are black people problems and not America's problems, and that America won't help to solve these internal black problems caused by the internal deficiencies of the black race.

That poster is putting into practice that kind of thinking and it is exactly the same thing that conservatives are advancing. That basic frame of reference that there are "black problems" that black people need to fix.

And how are black people going to fix so called internal black problems? Black people would have to start policing and controlling the behavior of other black people based on what's good for black people as a whole.

Now if someone is a serious thinker or hell even a casual thinker, the black people who take that kind of conservative thinking seriously and there are a lot of us have to express some kind of idea that we meaning black people are a nation with in a nation fixing our own problems because we can't count on the US government.

So of course those people will use phrases like my people meaning other black Americans, it is the natural outcome of that kind of conservative thinking.

Naturally this kind of ownership of so called black problems is going to lead to the kind of thinking that looks at the actions of other black people through the prism of is what that person doing good for the black race as a whole kind of thinking.

And of course this kind of control will extend to political thinking.

I reject that kind of thinking.

First off it is a very conservative way to think, and I am of the opinion that conservatives are usually wrong nearly 100% of the time and because it is based on the false premise that the problems of black Americans aren't the problems of American society and because it is apart of the racial narrative that black people are collectively failing are messed up, ruined, etc.

But for the people who think like that, they are doing the very thing that conservatives say they want black Americans to do which is take ownership of so called internal black problems.
Of course black people cannot solve the problems of the black community. It has to be done on an individual basis. How are you going to stop XYZ from robbing the local liquor store? Or make XYZ's son study in school? The one thing the "black community" does have control over is stopping crime from taking hold in the poor neighborhoods.

My friend lives in the Fifth Ward in Houston, and she ended up quitting her job so she could be home when her kids got out of school so they wouldn't have to walk by the drug dealers and prostitutes that hung out in between the school and her house. She's a great mom, a great worker, and a wonderful person. I hate that she has to live around that stuff. It got me to thinking, what would happen if there were drug dealers and prostitutes hanging around my neighborhood? The cops would be called and the neighbors would organize a watch, hire private security, or whatever was necessary to end it.

Why isn't that happening there? Is it that the cops won't do anything? The people are afraid of gang retaliation? The people simply don't trust the cops so wouldn't think to call them? I realize the private security wouldn't be cheap, but when everyone pitches in it's doable. If that's not possible, the residents can organize something themselves.

I remember a black neighborhood was featured on 20/20 back in the early '90s for doing just that. Several got together and took turns filming the dealers and their customers and turning the footage in to the local police. Eventually, those dealers ended up in jail and/or moved to other areas to do their thing.

It's a start anyway. If the kids don't have those people hanging around to influence them, then crime won't take hold. It's a vicious circle. Once it takes hold, then it just grows like a cancer. The only way to get rid of the cancer is to cut it out of the body.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. White, Black, Hispanic, etc., people are called RINOs when they claim to be Republican but act against Republican beliefs. A RINO can be any race/ethnicity.
I have many times. Again, "Uncle Tom" is a specific derogatory reference to a Black character, used exclusively to deride Blacks. It's that discrimination that makes it a racial slur.

There's actually an existing Poll and thread on whether or not "Uncle Tom" is a racial slur:
Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?
OK...have it your way. It's a racial slur.

And i'm gonna continue to use it against all hankerchief heads, buckdancers, head scratchers, and shoe shiners.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
OK...have it your way. It's a racial slur.

And i'm gonna continue to use it against all hankerchief heads, buckdancers, head scratchers, and shoe shiners.
I'm sure that surprises no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies