Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 AM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Video: Dem congressman doubles down on claim that criticizing Obama is racist « Hot Air

Oh look, another example of hypocrisy. You see though, he is a democrat and his target was a man hated by liberals, Clarence Thomas.

This guy also said that criticism of Obama is racist.

Oh that's rich. So what have we learned recently? You can get away with gay slurs, racist comments, insane rhetoric, and lying if the following criteria are met:

1. You are a well known liberal

2. The target is not well thought upon by the Left

3. You're just a comedian, so its ok. Its "art"

4. If it helps demonize the anti-Left, say what you want and need to say
Its actually the interviewer who said it was ok for him to do it because he was black(or rather because he wasnt white).

Further more, The entire bottom half of the article is a discussion on whether or not it is racism and never answers the question. So #4 on your list shouldnt even exist.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ok. What's your definition of racism?
Please see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You again cut what I said. Uncle Tom is a political reference to a black person like RINO and "*******" are political references to white people. Neither are racist. Nothing I said would label caucasion or "ango" racist either.

FYI, racism is the belief that an entire group of people based on physical characteristics is inferior to another.
From the Oxford dictionary:
Quote:

1 The belief that all members of each race
possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race,
especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or
races

2 Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based
on the belief that one’s own race is superior
From Merriam Webster:

Quote:
a belief that race is the
primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that
racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
None of those definitions fit the description of an Uncle Tom. Black people don't view all black people as inferior so black people calling another one an Uncle Tom is not racist.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
You do know the Dem. Party help start the KKK, right?
You do know that the Rep. Party and the NRA helped get guns to blacks to helped
protect themselves from the KKK?
You know that anything that happened before, say, 1964, is irrelevant to this discussion, as the Republicans explicitly decided to appeal to white racism and "states' rights" in the wake of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts. You have heard of the "Southern Strategy," yes?

And your fantasy about the NRA?

"Like the KKK, the NRA was also formed right after the Civil War. The organization's first major involvement with promoting gun laws tainted by prejudice was in the 1920s and 30s. In response to urban gun violence often associated with immigrants, especially those from Italy, the NRA's president, Karl Frederick, helped draft model legislation to restrict concealed carry of firearms in public. States, Frederick's model law recommended, should only allow concealed carry by people with a license, and those licenses should be restricted to "suitable" people with "proper reason for carrying" a gun in public. Thanks to the NRA's endorsement, these laws were adopted in the majority of states. Determining who was "suitable" under these licensing schemes was left to the discretion of local law enforcement. Predictably, racial minorities and disfavored immigrants were usually deemed unsuitable, no matter how serious a threat they faced. In 1956, after his house was firebombed, Martin Luther King Jr. was turned down when he applied for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Montgomery, Alabama.

"The 1960s saw another wave of gun control laws that were, at least in part, motivated by race. After Malcolm X promised to fight for civil rights "by any means necessary" while posing for Ebony magazine with an M1 Carbine rifle in his hand and the Black Panthers took to streets of Oakland with loaded guns, conservatives like Ronald Reagan, then governor of California, began promoting gun control. Black radicals with guns, coupled with the devastating race riots that wiped out whole neighborhoods in Newark and Detroit in 1967, helped persuade Congress to pass the Gun Control Act of 1968. That law barred felons from purchasing firearms, expanded the licensing of gun dealers, and barred imports of "Saturday Night Specials"—cheap, often poorly made guns that were frequently used for crime by urban youth. As one gun control supporter at the time frankly admitted, a close look at that law revealed that it wasn't really about controlling guns; it was about controlling blacks. And the NRA, in its signature publication, American Rifleman, took credit for the law and extolled its virtues."

Gun Control, Racism, and the NRA: A History | New Republic

What were you saying about the NRA advocating for black folks? Pure BS - like the rest of your prior post.

Quote:
You do know a Dem. President was quoted as saying " I'll have those
N's voting Dem. for the next 200 yrs" after he signed the Entitlement Programs into
legislation.
"Entitlement?" Who the hell are you, Newt Gingrich?

Quote:
How about you read up on the history of the Republican party before you say they constantly insult blacks.
I got all I need. Barry Goldwater. George Wallace. Richard Nixon. Lee Atwater. Willie Horton.

How about you get a clue?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM

89,086 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
So in that effect, RINO is a racist term.....
RINO isn't a slur based on race or racial identity. It's an objection to political ideology.

Again, "Uncle Tom" is a specific derogatory reference to a Black character, used exclusively to deride Blacks.

There's actually an existing Poll and thread on whether or not "Uncle Tom" is a racial slur:
Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's the democrats who put forth the notion that people can hide behind the excuse that you belong to one group, and can blame your problems on X, and depend on the democrats to hold your hand and offer you Y and Z.

It's conservatives who offer the same message of freedom, self determination and resolve, personal respect and dignity to everyone, no matter who they are. It's liberals who pander to people, as if you can't get along on your own, so "vote for me and here's what I'll give to you."

There will always be that ten percent in any group, who are reticent to do anything for themselves, and looking for a hand out, or take the easy way out. It's why democrats always place people into groups of class, gender, race, etc... The dems foster the notion that you are that ten percent, that you are that group, so just vote democrat and they'll hold your hand, pat your little head, and take care of you from cradle to grave.
The above may honestly be what you believe about Democrats, but there is not a single Democrat who believes that of themselves and this is why we dont have genuine conversations in this nation about anything anymore, this is why both sides are at each other's throat.

Republicans/Conservatives create entire threads to discuss the fact that the left demonizes them and yet this threat starts out with the OP doing the exact same thing as well as you and others with your post.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I'm conservative, and I don't think that way. The only person who can fix your problems is you.

It's the democrats who put forth the notion that people can hide behind the excuse that you belong to one group, and can blame your problems on X, and depend on the democrats to hold your hand and offer you Y and Z.

It's conservatives who offer the same message of freedom, self determination and resolve, personal respect and dignity to everyone, no matter who they are. It's liberals who pander to people, as if you can't get along on your own, so "vote for me and here's what I'll give to you."

There will always be that ten percent in any group, who are reticent to do anything for themselves, and looking for a hand out, or take the easy way out. It's why democrats always place people into groups of class, gender, race, etc... The dems foster the notion that you are that ten percent, that you are that group, so just vote democrat and they'll hold your hand, pat your little head, and take care of you from cradle to grave.
In regards to the bold....duh...that is what the poster you are responding to is saying. FYI "you" can mean you as an individual or you as a group. In these threads, and I'm sure you have participated in these threads, it is commonly asserted by conservative posters that "black people need to fix xyz" in "black communities."

FWIW, I agree with that sentiment and feel that as you stated, it takes one person/family at a time to do so.

But conservatives don't have a monopoly on the positive characteristics you site in your 3rd paragraph and both conservatives and liberals "pander" to their respective groups as if you cannot get along without them. Conservatives give you drug benefits for Medicare and credits on your taxes. IMO, as an independent, they are no different than liberals and social welfare programs (which many conservatives also support).

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
RINO isn't a slur based on race or racial identity. It's an objection to political ideology.

Again, "Uncle Tom" is a specific derogatory reference to a Black character, used exclusively to deride Blacks.

There's actually an existing Poll and thread on whether or not "Uncle Tom" is a racial slur:
Is the term "Uncle Tom" racist?
What black person has ever been described of as being a RINO? LOL, I'll let you think about that for a moment.

As stated, Uncle Tom is in response to political viewpoints within black America. RINO is unique to white Americans. Neither are racist.

I know many of you conservatives love to try to paint us black people as racist and I attest that many black people really do consider white people as inferior, I know a few myself, but on the whole, black people really are not racist and it is impossible for black people to be racist against other black people, since as stated within the definitions I posted, racism is connected to the inferiority of another race or group of people based on traits and characteristics of an entire group.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
I'm conservative, and I don't think that way. The only person who can fix your problems is you.

Yeah, conservatives do generally think that way about black people.

This is another favorite of conservatives that black people are dumb and being tricked by the Democratic party.

That conservatives can't see how this rhetoric comes across is not surprising.

Look there are national social problems.

Sure within a context individuals have problems, but if for example a nation has a crappy economy can it really be surprised when people are poor? The economic poverty of those people is caused by that nation's terrible economy.

If a nation has crappy schools or a lack of schools can it really be surprised when people are uneducated? The lack of education of those people is caused by the crappy schools of that nation. You get the point, there are national problems that require national action.

I think liberals put forth the idea or logical facts based thinking that some problems are national problems in nature and therefore need national or state level political solutions which of course is the whole point of government.

conservatives offer nothing to black people but stop being on a plantation or being on welfare or following a bad black culture, you know a watered down version of what Cliven Bundy has to offer black people.

In terms of your ten percent of other people are blah, blah, blah, completely made up irrelevant nonsense.

This is the thing, conservatives are so quick to write off millions of other people based on mindless thoughts and slogans, like well ten percent of people blah, blah, blah completely useless.

My experiences and history tell me that human beings based on their ignorance, prejudices, hatred, ego, etc too often write off and demonize other people and treat it as the fault of the people they wrote off. I don't want to be on that side of history.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 AM

89,086 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
You do know the Dem. Party help start the KKK, right? You do know that the Rep. Party and the NRA helped get guns to blacks to helped protect themselves from the KKK? You do know a Dem. President was quoted as saying " I'll have those N's voting Dem. for the next 200 yrs" after he signed the Entitlement Programs into legislation. How about you read up on the history of the Republican party before you say they constantly insult blacks.
Exactly. Democrats are largely responsible for Jim Crow laws. And since those have been repealed, Democrats' adamant insistence on opposing school vouchers has been as highly effective as the Jim Crow laws that Democrats are no longer able to have in effect.

Even Michelle Rhee gets it.

Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats

DC Democrat: Obama Is Biggest Problem for School Vouchers

Blacks on vouchers:
Quote:
"Pro-voucher voters among racial minorities overwhelmingly support Barack Obama, but they are baffled by the Democratic nominee's opposition to vouchers. They also say they are frustrated that Democratic leaders appear to be more concerned about keeping the peace with teachers unions -- which adamantly oppose vouchers -- than about finding alternatives that could advance desperately needed education reforms for minority students.

...Public opinion polls also show solid support for school vouchers among minority parents. Sixty-five percent of adult African-Americans and 63 percent of adult Hispanics favor the use of vouchers, according to a national survey conducted earlier this year under the auspices of the journal Education Next and the Program on Education Policy and Governance at Harvard University. In the survey, more than half of minority adults gave higher marks to their local police than their public schools.

"There is no doubt that on this issue, ...Obama has it wrong," Martin wrote."
Democrats for Education Reform - Obama Questioned On Vouchers

Based on that, shouldn't Obama also be called an "Uncle Tom" by other Blacks? He's a Black man deliberately acting against Blacks' preference and best interest. That seems to be the criteria for the use of the term.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Quote:
Please see below:

From the Oxford dictionary:

From Merriam Webster:

None of those definitions fit the description of an Uncle Tom. Black people don't view all black people as inferior so black people calling another one an Uncle Tom is not racist.
Ugh. Just so much wrong here I don't have the strength to fight. I surrender.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
You do know the Dem. Party help start the KKK, right? You do know that the Rep. Party and the NRA helped get guns to blacks to helped protect themselves from the KKK? You do know a Dem. President was quoted as saying " I'll have those N's voting Dem. for the next 200 yrs" after he signed the Entitlement Programs into legislation. How about you read up on the history of the Republican party before you say they constantly insult blacks.

FYI, you do know that the Democrats of the past were conservatives right?? Also that the Republicans of the past were liberals right???

On you previous post I responded to you said that you got good grades. I would hope that would include good grades in recent American history from 1865 through present.

Also your comments above are typical conservative rhetoric, where the Republicans of today want to directly connect themselves to Lincoln's republicans. Political schisms have occurred many times throughout the course of American history. And there is not such thing as the "Entitlement Programs."

What programs are you referring to and what president are you referring to. FDR or LBJ? FYI, FDR signed "welfare" and other traditional "Entitlement Programs" into law not LBJ who was known for dropping "n" bombs lol. He was an old white man from TX you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies