Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,882,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"He replaced a legend" a personal and very biased opinion.

""I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
LOL at you all picking your favorite MLK quote from that speech. Here's mine, same speech, same day that you all seem to ignore:

In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men - yes, black men as well as white men - would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness... America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked 'insufficient funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Why be tied to your race in everything you do, believe and say? How in the world does that heal or improve society when all the drives you is some made up notion on how you're supposed to act, believe, feel, etc?

And I apologize for the term I am about to use, but at the moment I cant think of another. It's as if you're a slave to the color of your skin based of a thought process Lord knows who made up. Most likely someone like Sharpton or Jackson.

Believe you have to live life through race and that your skin color comes first and foremost is an awful way to live. And it is no wonder this country will never get past race issues. Some are taught and its driven into them that if they dare not think how they're supposed to, because they're black, than they are traitors. Dont you realize how bad that is? The loudest voices out there on race DO NOT want society to move on and get better. They LIVE, THRIVE, have a sense or PURPOSE off all this. That doesn't help you, or us. It helps THEM.
In regards to the red, because unfortunately, our country is heavily focused on race. That is not something that began with black people.

That is not to say that all black people think alike. We do not, but we are all black and due to that we share common similarities in regards to our experiences as an American. Just because you don't want us to talk about our blackness or being black in America, doesn't mean that we don't have a different experience than you have. If you want this attitude to change, then it has to start with white people IMO since they are the majority and where these racial categories originated in our society. Not black.

Packard fan;34609144]Agreed. "RINO" ain't a race.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. "liberal" and "RINO" are based on political ideology. "Uncle Tom" is based on race, as is the N word, and as such is a racial slur.
In regards to the above. I have only seen the word RINO used on white people. So in that effect, RINO is a racist term.....

In regards to Uncle Tom, it is based upon someone's political views, so it is no different than RINO or "*******" or any other perjorative phrase that you make up about someone who you don't agree with politically.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,763,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Uncle Tom= Any black that disagrees with DD. Why do you keep saying "your people"? You don't represent me. You act like if you are black that you have to join some kind of Union and you are the spokes person. I can speak and think for myself. That's the problem we have now. We have 95% of blacks voting democrat. How is that possible? You can't get that many people to agree on ANYTHING! You every been to a black family reunion. We can't even get 50% to agree on the T-shirt design. Most just vote because they've been told to vote Dem. and if they don't, they are an "Uncle Tom".
That sounds kind of contradictory. First you say you can't get people to agree on ANYTHING, but then you say black people vote because they've been told to vote Dem.

I don't know about you, but there's not a person on this Earth, black or otherwise, who can tell me to do anything. What makes you think that the majority of black people can't think for themselves? You say you can.

Maybe the Republican Party needs to do more than constantly insult blacks and blame them for everything wrong in this society and propagate laws and policies that disproportionately affect them in an adverse manner. Maybe then they might get more than 5% of the black vote.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM

21,551 posts, read 10,678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm using my phone so I can't post the links. But you know the answer already.

Besides, again...why do you care? You black?
I'm just trying to figure out why he's considered an Uncle Tom. I'm not black, otherwise I guess I'd know already. What cases exactly has he presided over that specifically hurt black people? I tried looking it up, but found a lot of black websites complaining about him being an Uncle Tom and hating his black skin. The only case cited was one overturning a $14 million verdict to a black man wrongfully imprisoned. The other things listed were his biography and specific comments he has made.

Clarence Thomas, the Anti-Black | Alternet

Quote:
Thomas has signaled that he does not recognize the legitimacy of the 1954
Brown school desegregation decision. "'Racial isolation' itself is not a
harm; only state-enforced segregation is. After all, if separation itself is a
harm, and if integration therefore is the only way that blacks can receive a
proper education, then there must be something inferior about blacks."
At least these are legitimate gripes to explain why people think he's an Uncle Tom. I'm still trying to figure out (other than overturning a verdict) what rulings specifically hurt black people.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,013,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Since someone asked about something that Thomas did that is indicative of being an "Uncle Tom" I will state that he voted against the Affirmative Action case that recently came up.

Clarence Thomas was a beneficiary of AA. If it was not for AA he would not be in the position that he is today due to not having any sort of extraordinary career endeavors, nor being on the national stage like his predecessor Thurgood Marshall who was a champion for black Americans in this country and I do believe that even the most conservative black people here would agree that Marshall is 100 times the man and the justice that Thomas is.

Disagreeing politically does not make one an Uncle Tom, but vociferously buying into and spreading negative stereotypes of black people, ridiculing all black people, and denying black people the opportunities that said Uncle Tom was given make him an Uncle Tom. I know conservative blacks who are not uncle Toms. I have quite a few conservative leans myself as a black person and no one who knows me would ever consider me an Uncle Tom.

You conservative whites would not see him as such because you are happy that he is, by all accounts, what I consider a "muted negro." Again, he is no Thurgood Marshall. Thomas is non-threatening so you can view him as a "good boy" of sorts. He doesn't make you uncomfortable like the majority of black people.
He didn't vote against it. He basically gave states the right to decide and took it out of DC. This is not the same world he grew up in. Times have changed. Why should we still consider race when hiring people or what not? AA had it's place then but do you honestly think it's still needed now. Every school I applied for, I was accepted. My grades got me in, not my skin color.

I have seen the effects of AA. It is not good. I've heard black doctors being labels a "AA" doctor meaning the only way they made it is because of AA. Some people call the President an "AA" president. I don't want my co-workers thinking the only way I got this job was because I'm black. I want my resume to speak for me.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
refusing to discriminate on the basis of skin color is now what makes an 'uncle tom'?

As stated in my response, it is when said Uncle Tom benefitted from that "discrimination" yet wants to deny that it helped him in any way.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,763,530 times
Quote:
His OWN people? Yeah, that really helps things. His own people is his family, Americans, human biengs. He isnt tied to skin color and that is exactly what upsets you. His entire way of thinking isnt tied to "im black, so I have to believe this way and say this and yada yada yada"

You and others keep wanting to separate yourselves from everyone else. Act as if you're all alone and everyone is out to get you and you have to think and act and believe one way. What the hell sort of thinking is that?

This isnt the 50s. This isnt the days of slavery. You nor any of these other loud mouths have ever been slaves. None of us white people have ever been slave holders. You are free to go vote, get a job, work, play, have a family, have fun, make money, get educated, etc just like anyone else in this country. Enough with this stupid garbage.

Your way of thinking is a disease that hurts this country, not helps.
As the Republicans in 2014 continue to try to suppress the vote, and as discrimination in housing, law enforcement, education, and employment continues, it is obvious that some of us are still not as free as others.

14,292 posts, read 9,713,021 times
Quote:
dd, you still haven't mentioned how he's a "Uncle Tom"? I'm black, so I hear this tossed around alot when blacks fill like another black is trying to break away from the herd. I want to hear your reasoning though.
That herd mentality comment may be a justified analogy, considering the percentage of blacks who vote for the Democratic Party candidates. It's like pulling teeth to get 93% of anyone to agree on anything, and yet 90+ percent of black voters can always be counted on to vote a certain way, no matter who the candidate may be.

8,391 posts, read 6,317,603 times
Quote:
Uncle Tom= Any black that disagrees with DD. Why do you keep saying "your people"? You don't represent me. You act like if you are black that you have to join some kind of Union and you are the spokes person. I can speak and think for myself. That's the problem we have now. We have 95% of blacks voting democrat. How is that possible? You can't get that many people to agree on ANYTHING! You every been to a black family reunion. We can't even get 50% to agree on the T-shirt design. Most just vote because they've been told to vote Dem. and if they don't, they are an "Uncle Tom".

This is the thing I don't get about conservatives, and it was mentioned somewhere else, conservatives are definitely of the opinion that black people have "their own problems", that only black people can fix.

Explicit in that is that the problems of black people are black people problems and not America's problems, and that America won't help to solve these internal black problems caused by the internal deficiencies of the black race.

That poster is putting into practice that kind of thinking and it is exactly the same thing that conservatives are advancing. That basic frame of reference that there are "black problems" that black people need to fix.

And how are black people going to fix so called internal black problems? Black people would have to start policing and controlling the behavior of other black people based on what's good for black people as a whole.

Now if someone is a serious thinker or hell even a casual thinker, the black people who take that kind of conservative thinking seriously and there are a lot of us have to express some kind of idea that we meaning black people are a nation with in a nation fixing our own problems because we can't count on the US government.

So of course those people will use phrases like my people meaning other black Americans, it is the natural outcome of that kind of conservative thinking.

Naturally this kind of ownership of so called black problems is going to lead to the kind of thinking that looks at the actions of other black people through the prism of is what that person doing good for the black race as a whole kind of thinking.

And of course this kind of control will extend to political thinking.

I reject that kind of thinking.

First off it is a very conservative way to think, and I am of the opinion that conservatives are usually wrong nearly 100% of the time and because it is based on the false premise that the problems of black Americans aren't the problems of American society and because it is apart of the racial narrative that black people are collectively failing are messed up, ruined, etc.

But for the people who think like that, they are doing the very thing that conservatives say they want black Americans to do which is take ownership of so called internal black problems.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
His OWN people? Yeah, that really helps things. His own people is his family, Americans, human biengs. He isnt tied to skin color and that is exactly what upsets you. His entire way of thinking isnt tied to "im black, so I have to believe this way and say this and yada yada yada"

You and others keep wanting to separate yourselves from everyone else. Act as if you're all alone and everyone is out to get you and you have to think and act and believe one way. What the hell sort of thinking is that?

This isnt the 50s. This isnt the days of slavery. You nor any of these other loud mouths have ever been slaves. None of us white people have ever been slave holders. You are free to go vote, get a job, work, play, have a family, have fun, make money, get educated, etc just like anyone else in this country. Enough with this stupid garbage.

Your way of thinking is a disease that hurts this country, not helps.
Not true. Whites by and large separated black people in American society.

And FWIW, I don't think desertdetroiter showed any sort of "upset." It seems that you are upset that he and others disagreed with you.

Black people by and large are very comfortable with our viewpoints and we debate each other on all sorts of political and social issues and educational and all sorts of things. You posted this thread and now you are upset at DDs response to you. I have not seem him be upset. He just stated what he felt and you don't want to accept that he feels what he feels because of who he is. You want him to think like you want him to think and because he doesn't, you want to blame him for black people not being "accepted."

LOL, the logic shown in this thread is pretty sad.

FYI, people don't have to agree with you. We can all be Americans and not agree. No one has a monopoly or the "right view" of anything.

Black people, if we want can call people we don't agree with politically an Uncle Tom, just like you can call a moderately conservative white person a RINO or a liberal white person a "*******." It is what it is.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
refusing to discriminate on the basis of skin color is now what makes an 'uncle tom'?

Can you even believe that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies