Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 04:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I'm not following your perfect example. Graduation rates are not averages. It's just a simple percentage. I think you might have some confusion about what an average is.
I think you understand what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Say No to education requirements and the Fed will hold back their money.
No school wants to lose their Federal money.
Say no to EPA regulations and they will hold back money except they didn't. Even more so right now. Manchin would back us and the administration needs Manchin.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We will note, you selectively quoted me.
And we will note that you have NEVER supported any of your assertions with actual facts, as many of the rest of us have.

You're only stating your unsubstantiated opinion, which isn't worth much.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And we will note that you have NEVER supported any of your assertions with actual facts, as many of the rest of us have.
You have refused to address my points. I asked your opinion of something. I can not supply that for you but once you refuse to I have no choice but to come to my own conclusions.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No one is stopping you from doing so. The issue is that that isn't what you're actually implying. I think you're committing a deception in your claims here. I think you're looking to undercut public education to foster your own personal preferences, without regard to how your intentions would adversely affect people you don't care about.

Let's test this to see: Make your proposal, clear and comprehensive, and demonstrate without exception that no child living below 400% FPL would face any substantive risk of a lesser education. Be sure to avoid trying to to inanely suggest "separate but equal". Be sure to account for the negative impact on those you don't care about from suggestions that result in the children of people you like getting something better. Let's see how much integrity your comments, here, really have. I doubt you'll be able to come up with such a suggestion that exhibits honor and integrity with regard to these parameters I've outlined.

But heck, it you actually ever could get to that point, that would be great. I'd love to see some new ideas promulgated to make things better. But only if the rising sea lifts all boats.

I don't care about lazy public school teachers and their unions.

I would like to undercut them with school vouchers for the exact amount currently spent on each student.

Then students and their families can sail their boats to wherever they like.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
We do.
Prove it.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
You have refused to address my points. I asked your opinion of something.
I posted facts. Opinions are frequently wrong, and therefore meaningless. For example, you have supported NONE of what you've posted with actual facts.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I don't care about lazy public school teachers and their unions.
There are many teachers that do great jobs. The vast majority of my kids teachers have been at least quite good.

Quote:
I would like to undercut them with school vouchers for the exact amount currently spent on each student.

Then students and their families can sail their boats to wherever they like.
Who is to say that the teachers at the Kids R Us school won't unionize?

Old 05-11-2014, 05:32 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
I think you understand what I said.
No. It didn't make any sense. A school system with 3 million has a 35 percent pass rate and 30 school systems with 100K each has a 90 percent pass rate. And? How is this even an example of averages? 3 million with a 35 per pass rate is 1 million and 50 thousand - a simple percentage, not an average. 30 systems with a 90 percent pass rate could be an average, but is more easily arrived as 2.7 million by doing simple math, with no need to average out the total pass rate for all 30 systems. So what does your example even show? Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

You never proved how kids aren't averages with your perfect example. All you did was make me suspect that you don't have a grasp of math or just aren't able to explain yourself clearly. You certainly didn't counter my stated fact that race was a better predictor of academic success than SES when racial groups are compared.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
No. It didn't make any sense. A school system with 3 million has a 35 percent pass rate and 30 school systems with 100K each has a 90 percent pass rate. And? How is this even an example of averages?
I'm think you realize that the government lumps them all together and tells us the average rate is too low. They then come up with some new system and expects every system switch to it even though most are doing a good job.

Quote:
You never proved how kids aren't averages with your perfect example. All you did was make me suspect that you don't have a grasp of math or just aren't able to explain yourself clearly. You certainly didn't counter my stated fact that race was a better predictor of academic success than SES when racial groups are compared.
Race makes kids a part of a group whether they are or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies