Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

What should be our goal in this campaign?

Consider these three possibilities, and offer your answer:

A. Should we return to a better terrestrial climate? If so, what climate would that be? Is there a historical precedent we could model? How would it be better?

B. Should it be to maintain the same climate we have today? If so, how would we accomplish that?

C. Should it be to find a perfect climatic model for us to aim for in the future? If so, give an example of that model and how it might be attained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
I think its way too hot on this planet. We need to cool it off. Also, all the missing glaciers are a serious concern. If we could adjust the temperature down enough, we could not only get back the glaciers that have melted away in the last 100 years, we could grow them back all the way to Nebraska where they were 18,000 years ago right before George Bush bought his first gas guzzling SUV and started melting them.

I would love to hear what some people think is the ideal climate on earth that we should keep the thermostat adjusted to.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
I'm sorry but, this thread is simply too funny to me

I would love to hear what some people think is the ideal climate on earth that we should keep the thermostat adjusted to.

Like, the old mechanical thermostat or the new programmable ones???

BTW, don't forget - you can still use the IRS Sec 179 to get your new SUV - and have the government pay for a bunch of it

Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 PM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I think its way too hot on this planet. We need to cool it off. Also, all the missing glaciers are a serious concern. If we could adjust the temperature down enough, we could not only get back the glaciers that have melted away in the last 100 years, we could grow them back all the way to Nebraska where they were 18,000 years ago right before George Bush bought his first gas guzzling SUV and started melting them.

You do realize that during glacial maximums, Europe was a virtual desert, right? It's only during the warm periods that Europe has that temperate climate.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Can I adjust this thermostat multiple times a year? I'm pretty cold right now, but in about six months I won't be. Liberals, where is this global thermostat to save the world with?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
You do realize that during glacial maximums, Europe was a virtual desert, right? It's only during the warm periods that Europe has that temperate climate.
And there was an ice bridge at the Bering Strait that could save $105billion dollars that is an estimated cost of the proposed bridge.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
And there was an ice bridge at the Bering Strait that could save $105billion dollars that is an estimated cost of the proposed bridge.
How can you compare saving the cost of a bridge to turning a continent into a desert? And what good would an ice bridge over the Bering Strait be if everyone lives in the tropics because glaciers cover a majority of North America?

My point is, ideal climate is completely subjective. There is no objective ideal climate. Make it colder and Europe suffers while the Middle East gains. Make it warmer and coastal regions will flood, but we'll be able to grow food much farther north. The only reality in all of this is that we don't control our environment as much as we'd like to believe.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
D. Should it be instead to monitor and study climate-associated variables and phenomena so as to learn more about and better understand the processes by which the only planet we have functions and evolves, potentially thereby providing ourselves with, among other things, advanced warning of emerging climatic and related trends that portend of negative consequences, including those of needless human suffering up to and including the ultimate possibility of our own extinction?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
D. Should it be instead to monitor and study climate-associated variables and phenomena so as to learn more about and better understand the processes by which the only planet we have functions and evolves, potentially thereby providing ourselves with, among other things, advanced warning of emerging climatic and related trends that portend of negative consequences, including those of needless human suffering up to and including the ultimate possibility of our own extinction?
No one wants to answer my question. They prefer obfuscation and hyperbole.

I wonder why?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
How can you compare saving the cost of a bridge to turning a continent into a desert? And what good would an ice bridge over the Bering Strait be if everyone lives in the tropics because glaciers cover a majority of North America?

My point is, ideal climate is completely subjective. There is no objective ideal climate. Make it colder and Europe suffers while the Middle East gains. Make it warmer and coastal regions will flood, but we'll be able to grow food much farther north. The only reality in all of this is that we don't control our environment as much as we'd like to believe.
Well if Europe isn't happy with the colder weather they could always pass a government mandate on the sun to produce more heat. But then the polar bears and penguins die all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies