Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM

262 posts, read 155,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They don't work well and are all going broke.
No the citizens aren't starving. If anything we're feeding them too much because we have an obesity problem.

Over $1 trillion a year in means tested programs. And that is growing 20% per year.
Actually, I think people are not getting the exercise necessary from birth to middle age to keep the body active enough to burn off the fat. It is especially essential that the youth get an enormous amount of physical excercise which not only stimulates the body to stay in shape, but also stimulates the brain functions.

Part of that physical exercise come from actually working for your food. VBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 01:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I respectfully disagree with that analysis.

Social Security works well for seniors and will continue to work well, with a third major tweaking, to accommodate the changes in society. It provides the very valuable function of providing seniors some independence from their children so the children aren't burdened with caring for their seniors during their most productive years. They can concentrating on raising their children and adding to the family wealth without having it siphoned off by their seniors.

Medicare is another program with great benefits. Most serious illness in society comes from people who are 65 and older. The cost of medical care for all would be on a much larger scale more expensive if seniors 65 and older were included in the overall private insurance pool that determined the average person's rate. Also, seniors would be dying in the streets if they couldn't get insurance. That would be your grandmother and grandfather, for some.

VA is another success story. Most people on this thread who are bashing the VA have never even had the occasion to use it. I have used the VA since 1971 in different parts of the country. I have had the most serious medical, surgical procedures one can have. The VA has revolutionized the treatment of severe trauma and nobody does it better than the VA. I can honestly say that the VA has always been first rate with my procedures and care. Much better than the average medicare doctor by comparison. I know that without their care, I'd be dead long ago.

Food stamps is another government program that works. You can argue the merits or faults of the program but it is a commitment by the nation as a whole that we will not have our citizens starving in the streets. This is a good thing and the mark of an advanced and compassionate society.

This is not to say there isn't problems than can't be fixed.

IMO: It is congress and their addiction to politics that taints the integrity of all government programs.
We the people elect the individuals who speak for us in the Congress.

As Pogo said it so well......."We have met the enemy and it is Us"
Last month the argument was that the VA works well.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Last month the argument was that the VA works well.
Not from me and millions of other citizens!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
Not from me and millions of other citizens!
Millions? Those who complained were dismissed. We were told that the VA was an excellent example of how well Obamacare would work.

Then those who dismissed that idea were labelled as racist.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Millions? Those who complained were dismissed. We were told that the VA was an excellent example of how well Obamacare would work.

Then those who dismissed that idea were labelled as racist.
What a crock of crap. Are you one of those "spin masters" from the White House? If not, you have one he!! of an imagination.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
What a crock of crap. Are you one of those "spin masters" from the White House? If not, you have one he!! of an imagination.
Durbin VA Government Health Care Concerns Delays | Video | C-SPAN.org

Old 05-26-2014, 03:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
The GOP is trying to cover it's tracks, for causing the backlogs at the VA during the 8 years of Bush II, and for being responsible for a 50% increase in the number of daily visit requests at the VA as the result of the Bush II/Cheney crimes against humanity war in Iraq and the Afgan war. What we have in the above remarks is a disregard for due process and rights of Americans. Actions which are anti-American ... said to be carried out in the name of America.

Obama has twice as many casualties in 5 years, then Bush did in 8....
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now what about the years 2009 to the present ?
Are you choosing your party over American vets who are dying because of long delays with health care ?

Now we find out the Vets are literally dying in the streets because of lack of health care and this is under Obama.

And here you are blaming Bush who has been gone for 6.5 years.
Utterly disgusting.

Actually Bush has been out of office for 5 years, 4 months and 19 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies