Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

It could be quite significant. Of course it would mean giving up on those higher welfare checks, but maybe you don't need higher welfare checks. Check out this video;

Save Taxes By Moving | How much can I save by moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It could be quite significant. Of course it would mean giving up on those higher welfare checks, but maybe you don't need higher welfare checks. Check out this video;

And how much money could I save if I ate McDonalds (Alabama, Florida) every night instead of good healthy food (California, Massachusetts)? Sorry, quality of life is worth way more to me than the lowest price tag.

When I move for semi-retirement living, tax rates will not factor in at all.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:

Well, first I have to consider the moving costs.

Then, I have to figure in my lower salary from leaving New York. Then, I have to count up a dozen miscellaneous "fees" that "low-tax" states use to score political capital because "tax" is a curse word. Finally, I have to re-calculate my grocery bill, because less progressive states tend to tax food at the grocery stores.

Nope, sorry I'm not ditching a couple grand in moving expenses to save a couple bucks a year in taxes and have a lower quality of life. No thanks.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:

I just did a general search using their calculator. It says I would save over $1,000 a year moving from California to Texas.

However, I'm not sure if it factored in the cost of the heavy medication I'll need after trading in palm trees, mountains, the ocean, and perfect weather for a barren, flat, humid-as-hell cesspool.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
And how much money could I save if I ate McDonalds (Alabama, Florida) every night instead of good healthy food (California, Massachusetts)? Sorry, quality of life is worth way more to me than the lowest price tag.

Your net costs would be negative moving to Alabama and Florida, because you have to consider higher rates of obesity and greater health care costs in the long run. My biggest pet peeve about the conservative states are their objection to public transportation, half-ass response to the needs of bicycle commuters, and lower quality of health care. No one is saving any money in those important areas of life.

Also, the climate in the South is far worse than the North for people who do extensive outdoor exercise such as myself. I'm not biking 100 miles in 95 degree weather with humidity. To hell with that.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:55 AM

This overly simplistic calculator neglects pay differences. I'm probably not taking my New York salary with me if I move to Alabama... just saying.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times
I know from doing my homework that I will save at least $1,000.00 a year in taxes moving from California to Montana. Not to mention all the ###! fees.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This overly simplistic calculator neglects pay differences. I'm probably not taking my New York salary with me if I move to Alabama... just saying.
Plus Alabama is probably still using Confedeate money.

Just saying...

Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,206 times
It's a very complicated equation. Especially for the upper middle class (those making between $100-300k a year). I am not talking wealth here. Purely yearly income. Top 1% "wealth" is at 8 million.

Many high tax states like New Jersey Maryland etc. these people will get hit with the AMT which basically kills those state income tax deduction as well as kills their property tax deduction.

Factor in housing as well. A nice "middle class" 2500-3000 square foot 1980s-1990s home. I ain't even talking about new McMansions will run u at least $500-600k in the Wash DC proper metro are.

You can get newer home in say the Dallas suburbs for around $350-400k.

In the end. Just remember no one moves up north to "retire" in New Jersey New York.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

Alabama and FL have very healthy food. And I would bet that CA has more McDonalds than AL and FL combined.

And with the money you save by moving, you could AFFORD to buy fresh healthy food.

Nice deflection but false data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies