Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,417,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Obviously he is not referring to middle of nowhere blue states. He is referring to NYC, LI, Yonker, etc.

Where I live, Union County, NJ, 340,000 get you almost nothing. If you do find something, your property tax is expected to be over 12,000, even for a 300k home.
Buffalo is not the middle of no where. The swath of Land on Lake Ontario from Oshawa, Ontario to Rochester, NY has over 10 million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I grew up in northeast Ohio.

In no way does a day in Cleveland on Lake Erie equal a day in Malibu.

I mean...if you are living inland yeah it's a littler bonus to be by the lakes but lets not get crazy here.
I'm going by cost. It is a great alternative to get a Lakefront estate on the Great Lakes as opposed to the Ocean due to cost. Another benefit is the Great Lakes have the least volatile weather in the country. The coasts have Hurricanes / Earthquakes (Pacific), and inland is ripe for Tornadoes.

Cleveland and Chicago are two different animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,010,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
To each its own.

People do love water though. I personally find Chicago's Lakefront on Lake Michigan to be the most stellar piece of waterfront beauty in the country.

Buffalo and Toronto have nice waterfronts too. The Great Lakes makes a nice alternative to the ocean because they are cheaper. Unfortunately, the Great Lakes also create the lake effect snow machine
The lakes do have a lot of beauty to them, despite our reputation as the rust belt. The Lake Erie Islands in the western basin of Lake Erie comes to mind. They call Put In Bay the "Key West of the North" due to the party atmosphere.

Quote:
I grew up in northeast Ohio.

In no way does a day in Cleveland on Lake Erie equal a day in Malibu.

I mean...if you are living inland yeah it's a littler bonus to be by the lakes but lets not get crazy here.

No it isn't Malibu, or south beach, because we can only take advantage of the lakes for a small part of the year due to the climate. However; it can be a nice alternative for a short affordable vacation, as well as offers relief from the summer heat and humidity that we do experience here. The islands, Cedar Point, Mentor Headlands, and Geneva on the Lake are very nice.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:45 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,411,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The lakes do have a lot of beauty to them, despite our reputation as the rust belt. The Lake Erie Islands in the western basin of Lake Erie comes to mind. They call Put In Bay the "Key West of the North" due to the party atmosphere.

No it isn't Malibu, or south beach, because we can only take advantage of the lakes for a small part of the year due to the climate. However; it can be a nice alternative for a short affordable vacation, as well as offers relief from the summer heat and humidity that we do experience here. The islands, Cedar Point, Mentor Headlands, and Geneva on the Lake are very nice.
I'll defend Cleveland/northeast Ohio...always.

You guys are right: if I ever go back East I'm going back to the lakes. They are a great gem if you're inland with the cost benefit.

I'm just saying (and I love my Rust Belt ) if we pull $ out of the equation Cleveland isn't lasting a round in the ring with Malibu.

In closing, go Browns! Lol

Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I'll defend Cleveland/northeast Ohio...always.

You guys are right: if I ever go back East I'm going back to the lakes. They are a great gem if you're inland with the cost benefit.

I'm just saying (and I love my Rust Belt ) if we pull $ out of the equation Cleveland isn't lasting a round in the ring with Malibu.

In closing, go Browns! Lol

Cleveland has always been seen in a negative light. Having said that don't sell it short. There is a lot of beauty to northeast Ohio, especially now that all of the leaves have popped. It's nice and lush and green. A lot of good things and development happening downtown right now too. Not to mention they're in the process of shooting another movie here. Admittedly, even though I've lived here my whole life, I hate the cold, and this past winter was brutally cold. Florida was always my favorite vacation spot, and if I could get away from the cold for a few months, that would be my place to go. The only saving grace of this cold winter, was believe it or not, we did have a lot of sunshine. That definitely helped.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,538,414 times
Quote:
I prefer the refreshing cool temps of the Pacific. The Gulf is a steam bath.
Just the opposite here. Friends from San Fran always ask why I don't visit since I have a free place to stay in their wonderful city. Fact is, I'm not impressed. It's always way to cool, windy for me there. And when I go to the beach, I want crystal clear water that I can actually get in without freezing (been all over the world and seen few beaches prettier than Panama Beach or Westin). I do love the San Diego area since it IS perfect weather for me but, would never adjust to the population density or price of living there. I need room to be content, not a house where I can shake hands through the window with my next door neighbor. Northern California, you can have it. My perfect climate is Costa Rica, hope to relocate there soon.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,386,160 times
Well you have to think about the kind of work you will be doing, vs your health, and over all goals. I have been thinking about it, for some time now. If it was for a $50 an hr job, If it was for love, I would do that. If it was just to save money, nope, nada, no way. Saving money is not going to help make anything better in this nation. When the first moron moves out, another moron will move in.

The best way to save money is stop giving money to anything that should be free. Like the electric company, the insurance, and every little thing that snipes money away from you, that otherwise could be taxed. A good example is food, food is not-taxable in small amounts, form my understanding. So it is like I am burning money for things, I buy in bulk.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,411,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Cleveland has always been seen in a negative light. Having said that don't sell it short. There is a lot of beauty to northeast Ohio, especially now that all of the leaves have popped. It's nice and lush and green. A lot of good things and development happening downtown right now too. Not to mention they're in the process of shooting another movie here. Admittedly, even though I've lived here my whole life, I hate the cold, and this past winter was brutally cold. Florida was always my favorite vacation spot, and if I could get away from the cold for a few months, that would be my place to go. The only saving grace of this cold winter, was believe it or not, we did have a lot of sunshine. That definitely helped.
I enjoyed texting my friends/relatives back in Ohio pics of palm trees this past winter.

Not to completely hijack but have you ever seen the "Hastily made Cleveland tourism video" on Youtube?

It's awesome. Lol.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I enjoyed texting my friends/relatives back in Ohio pics of palm trees this past winter.

Not to completely hijack but have you ever seen the "Hastily made Cleveland tourism video" on Youtube?

It's awesome. Lol.

I like the comedian who did it, but wasn't a fan of the tourism video. It just feeds into the stereotype and paints the city and region in a negative light. He also did the "Factory of Sadness" video. That I liked.

I do love palm trees. Unfortunately, the climate (as you well know) isn't favorable here to grow them. Though down state they've been able to grow a few species of cold hardy palms. Though I wonder if they made it through this winter. It was the coldest in 20 years.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,582,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You are wrong. The most fit states always has Colorado, Minnesota, and NEW YORK at the top. Hawaii, Florida, and California also break the top 10, but New York hovers between the three (it has been as high as #3 in the country and at the lower end of the top 10 depending on the year).

Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, Tennessee, they always lean toward the bottom.

You also don't have a clue about Northeast weather. New York City / New Jersey / Philly Metro / Connecticut are all classfied in the Humid Subtropical zone, because their average January temperature is above freezing. It is more likely to rain than snow in winter. I live in Western New York, which receives a lot of snow but we reach 0 degrees only 3 nights per year on average. The average high in January is 30, and snow thaws with 50 degrees and rain are common every month of every winter.

I exercise all year round.. and commute by bike through Western New York winters. Minnesota has colder winters and people do the same there. Toronto and Chicago have colder winters and have large year round bike commuting populations as well.

I'm assuming you don't exercise much. The ideal ambient temperature for cardiovascular exercise is 36-52 degrees. Have a nice day.
Considering that I was born and raised not far from Buffalo, I know quite a bit about weather in that region. Perhaps "global warming" really has reached WNY. When I was there, 0 degree weather was not uncommon, <10 degrees for a week at a time was normal. Strong winds and 6'+ snowdrifts along the rural roads were the norm. I can't say that I recall seeing bicycles out in those conditions on any regular basis. Now...when I was 12-15 or so, I did ride a few miles in the winter because it was my only transportation. But among adults...well, they were smarter than I was as a teen. WNY weather pretty much sucks November to April. Add to that, it's UGLY that time of year-no sun for a few weeks at a time, and all the trees have shed their leaves-everything is just grey. Summers are nothing great from a humidity standpoint either-the humidity is high enough that you're a sweaty, stinky mess whenever it's over 80. Nothing like the west.

In the winter the main form of exercise involved lifting beer cans and eating chicken wings while watching the Bills play.

I do remember this, quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-gRb_MuUgg

I'm not a fan of the south either, due to the oppressive humidity and heat. Flip side, their nice time is ~SE-MY before you get into the horrid weather. Take your pick, stay inside in the heated house in winter, or in the ACed house in summer. At least you don't have to f)%^%^$$$$##*% shovel heat.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 05-28-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,782,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Speaking of unhealthy people... I've never seen a place with more morbidly obese people than the deep south. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?
Have you been to PA? CA? Lots of morbidly obese people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies