Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM

553 posts, read 599,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There is no case where ice would melt up there, and Norfolk, VA would alone suffer the effects - as the OP suggests.
Huh??? Where did I suggest THAT?????

The Warmers claim the cities are going to be inundated by the rising floodwaters of Global Warming and I would like to know why they're not out there building levees to protect themselves like any rational person would do. They should be doing this in costal areas all over the world--unless, of course, they know it's a big fat lie and just want to see how many of us are dumb enough to fall for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:16 PM

553 posts, read 599,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The water in those two ice reservoirs is enough if melted to raise all ocean levels 50 meters or about 150 ft.
Which is why you will need levies at least 300 feet high and a good thousand feet thick as I suggested. I am puzzled why you're not building such levies. Do you not believe in what you're saying? Or is it just a joke? Your lack of action would suggest the latter.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:24 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,252,037 times
the sea level is rising at the rate of about an inch-and-a-half every 10 years now. Why don't they just take a foot or two of the muck off the bottom of the ocean?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:01 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,219,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Hmm 30 years ago we would all be under water according to some. The ice caps are melting... mmm if you take a glass and fill it with water and ice to the brim and then wait for the ice to melt what happens?

Guess what the glass doesnt over flow... how come?

Global Climate Change in whatever form does not require us to do crap.

IF you live near a ocean or river in general your asking for disaster and it has nothing to do with melting ice caps.
Except, you are talking about ice that is already displacing water. The problem will come from the ice that is currently on LAND and will melt into the water. See how full your glass gets then.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-06-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,219,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
You don't.
You know when the amount of carbon in the atmosphere is reduces... It has been measured successfully for almost two centuries. There is nothing any more difficult about measuring it in the future.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,079,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
^ Of course, Exxon has been paying groups and other professional prostitutes for years to hammer their junk science contesting man-made climate change to the American people because Exxon, and other energy conglomerates, know all they need is a gullible or ideological vocal minority to slow any legislative progress to stop or slow climate change.

Exhibit 1...City Data threads and posts denying climate change.
I've never seen anyone deny climate change. Perhaps you can link me to these threads you speak of.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,014,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
We give you free dirt and that's too expenssive?

And aren't we told the alternative is to re-locate our cities? How would re-locating our cities be cheaper than building levees around them?

In the Inland parts of the country when a flood is coming we start filling sandbags. Since this flood from the melting of the Polar Ice Caps will last much longer you would need permanant levees. I am curious why Liberals are not building levees around their cities to save them from the rising floodwaters of Global Warming. Where I come from if a person's actions don't match their words it means they don't believe what they themselves are saying--they just want to laugh at everybody else for believing it.
Ok. I can't take this any more. I'm a Geotechnical Engineer. You can't just build levees with "dirt". This is laughable. A 1000ft wide levee. Lol. You need good material, preferably cohesive soils. It takes yrs to design a levee. You have to account for settlement, under seepage, erosion, and land. If it was just dumping dirt and trash, you wouldn't need Engineers to design it.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,474,969 times
Quote:
Then why do Environmentalists object to logging, why chain themselves to trees, and why these ads telling us to save the planet by planting a tree?
Because forests are important habitat. Do you really not comprehend that there is far more to environmentalism than just climate change?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I've never seen anyone deny climate change. Perhaps you can link me to these threads you speak of.
Everyone who denies that the sea is rising IS denying climate change.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM

32,321 posts, read 15,272,293 times
Quote:
Lets assume everything the Greenies say about Global Warming is true and soon all our cities will be flooded as the Ice Caps melt due to rising CO2 levels. In that case, shouldn’t Environmentalists be backing these three proposals:

1) Why not build levees around our costal cities? Us folks inland will donate the dirt and broken concrete from our construction projects. The Government only has to pay to have railroads (the cheapest form of land transport) haul it to costal cities. And then you guys dump it out wherever you think best until your cities are protected by levees 300 feet high and a thousand feet wide. You can cover them with grass and trees and on the ocean side have a nice sandy beach and you can line the top with a bunch of windmills.

2) Why not plant a tree that will take in carbon dioxide in the corner of every other parking stall? Nobody parks within a foot of the corner of the parking stall anyway. In the winter when the parking lot is covered with snow you’ll still be able to see where the parking stalls are at. In the summer you’ll be able to park your car in the shade and instead of a blazing hot trek across an oven-hot parking lot you can enjoy a nice stroll in the shade watching squirrels scamper and listening to the birds singing in the trees and you wash your car every week anyway.

3) Why not plant vines in planters outside the window of every skyscraper? These will restore the green environment lost to the city and the vines will take in CO2 from all the cars on the street and so stop air pollution at it’s source.

How about these people living in coastal cities just move inland. Why should we have to pay for levees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies