Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,492,535 times

Advertisements

Sure do.

It is utter hypocrisy for employers to demand employees have a strong work ethic, then pay them peanuts. Why should workers assign higher value to their jobs than their employers do? If you pay crap wages, you deserve crap workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,422,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
YES! Because you work at a food joint and there is ALWAYS left over food for you to eat for FREE. No one working at a restaurant goes hungry, unless they want to.
That argument falls apart if you don't work specifically in fast food. That isn't really relevant to the discussion, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You might have to get a part time job in addition to the full time job in order to make ends meet but it most certainly can be done on minimum wage.
You completely missed the point. Why do you think the 40 hour work week exists?

If you have to work more than 40 hours per week, we are back into the days of 60 hour weeks to earn a meager wage. We created weekends, 40 hour work weeks, (child) labor laws to prevent this. Are you moving back in time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no one said anything about hunger, so keep slappin'
Because the right doesn't want to talk about reality. If I work minimum wage full time, I should not be in poverty.. requiring housing and food assistance of other taxpayers to live. That is the problem here

Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM

19,889 posts, read 12,179,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Because the right doesn't want to talk about reality. If I work minimum wage full time, I should not be in poverty.. requiring housing and food assistance of other taxpayers to live. That is the problem here
When I was starting out, I worked f/t minimum wage and never took a penny of taxpayer money. It meant sharing an apartment with 4 other people for a short while. Good motivation to get out there and find a better job. Never looked back.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 AM

5,670 posts, read 5,104,800 times
Quote:
If I work every day, do I deserve to be hungry?
That depends on you. Do you also need that big screen, that xBox, that iPhone? Trips to the hair salon and a regular pedicure? Do you have any responsibility to not squeeze out three kids by three different guys, none of whom stuck around? Do you need to show your friends that you have that Coach bag, purchased with the tax refund sent when you actually paid no taxes at all but are getting money back from EICs? Do you need to hit the clubs with your friends every Saturday night, drinking like a fish?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 AM

19,889 posts, read 12,179,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
It's not like this in 2014. Minimum pay doesn't pay having parties every day, people who make this kind of money can hardly afford food, gas and roof over their head, even when sharing shelter with others. This what most old people don't realize.
Nonsense. Most of those you are crying about have smart phones so spare me your self pity..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 AM

19,764 posts, read 12,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Because it used to be true until we allowed corporate greed to become our messiah and watched our jobs disappear overseas. Now people are stunned at the disappearance of the American middle class and are turning to the only thing they think will restore it. Certainly the corporations won't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

It's hard to give up the American Dream, and to face the reality that we will never again automatically be able to improve upon the lifestyle of our parents' generation.
What do you want that is better than what your parents had? I thought prior generations had it made, why do we need more than what they had? That is greed. The American Dream is freedom, that is what we need to worry about losing.

Right, some of us didn't mind working two or three jobs but now that is seen as suffering, as is living with a roommate or not having a data plan.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,812,121 times
Quote:
You completely missed the point. Why do you think the 40 hour work week exists?

If you have to work more than 40 hours per week, we are back into the days of 60 hour weeks to earn a meager wage. We created weekends, 40 hour work weeks, (child) labor laws to prevent this. Are you moving back in time?
Most people I know who are living a middle class lifestyle work more then 40 hours a week. Minimum wage should be considered a temporary lot in life as you do have the ability to strive for something greater.

You can join a union and learn a trade. Most will start you at a wage that is double the minimum wage and give you benefits to boot. But you'll have to work hard and you'll have to go to school at night and on weekends. Not everyone wants to do that. You can work hard at your minimum wage job, impress your boss, apply for promotions and work your way up the ladder. Fast Food managers make a decent living. You can go to school at night with the help of grants and loans and learn either a trade or work towards a career. You can start your own business.

There are options. No one is forcing someone to work for minimum wage for their entire lives. No one said that life was easy.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That depends on you. Do you also need that big screen, that xBox, that iPhone? Trips to the hair salon and a regular pedicure? Do you have any responsibility to not squeeze out three kids by three different guys, none of whom stuck around? Do you need to show your friends that you have that Coach bag, purchased with the tax refund sent when you actually paid no taxes at all but are getting money back from EICs? Do you need to hit the clubs with your friends every Saturday night, drinking like a fish?
Strawman.

Rent and food prices do not discriminate based on income. If I'm poor, I need a subsidized facility or food stamps just to feed myself.. because my greedy employer won't pay me a livable wage. I suppose its just my fault I'm hungry? I go to work every day.... Perhaps if I work hard I can afford more meals for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
When I was starting out, I worked f/t minimum wage and never took a penny of taxpayer money. It meant sharing an apartment with 4 other people for a short while. Good motivation to get out there and find a better job. Never looked back.
I didn't ask for your anecdote. Your situation is not indicative of the majority of minimum wage workers in America.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,812,121 times
Quote:
Strawman.

Rent and food prices do not discriminate based on income. If I'm poor, I need a subsidized facility or food stamps just to feed myself.. because my greedy employer won't pay me a livable wage. I suppose its just my fault I'm hungry? I go to work every day.... Perhaps if I work hard I can afford more meals for myself
You may benefit from the help of food stamps but you will be able to afford a room to rent and all other basics. Or you could share a room with roommate and afford everything all at 40 hours a week.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Most people I know who are living a middle class lifestyle work more then 40 hours a week. Minimum wage should be considered a temporary lot in life as you do have the ability to strive for something greater.
Irrelevant.

Minimum wage is a minimum livable wage. One should not work full time for minimum wage and need taxpayer assistance to live and eat; especially if they have a child.

Quote:
You can join a union and learn a trade.
The unions Republicans have set out to destroy?

Quote:
There are options. No one is forcing someone to work for minimum wage for their entire lives. No one said that life was easy.
So I should go hungry because the only job I can find is minimum wage? I have to "work harder" to have adequate nutrition...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies