Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 02:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
If they were frequent customers of the bakery, it would stand to reason they knew this man was a Christian and saw an opportunity and ran with it.

Besides, even if they didn't seek out a poster boy for their agenda, it doesn't negate the novel idea to take their business elsewhere if they didn't like the service.
I know plenty of Christians that have no problem with SSM. Unless the baker previously told the couple that he didn't agree with SSM, there is no way they would have know. And, I'm pretty sure if the baker had previously told them that, they would not have been regular customers.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:06 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,287,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
If they were frequent customers of the bakery, it would stand to reason they knew this man was a Christian and saw an opportunity and ran with it.
Why? I frequent lots of places where I know nothing about the person behind the till. The things you say don't really stand to reason at all.

Quote:
Besides, even if they didn't seek out a poster boy for their agenda, it doesn't negate the novel idea to take their business elsewhere if they didn't like the service.
No, that's caving in to right-wing bigotry. People should stand up for themselves instead of letting bigots have their way.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
well let me ask this way...

so you people would spend your money with a "right wing biggot"?
Yeah. And then I'd toss it in the garbage in front of this right-wing bigot's face and give him the finger, then never darken his door again.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,413,716 times
so i guess there is no motivation for hateful biggoted wite wing wacist to treat good gay people with respect since you all would give them your hard earned dollars anyways

they dont care about your lil protest or your sense of victory? throwing the cake away, lol

Old 06-06-2014, 03:41 PM

But I'd enjoy it.

Incidentally, doesn't a Christian's faith provide motivation to not be a bigot? Be nice, be honest, don't murder anyone? Any of that ring a bell?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
(singing)

I don't think that I can take it
'Cos it took arm-twisting to bake it
And I'll never have my liberty again

Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Oh no, a business was forced not to discriminate, the horror.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,112,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Ah....yes.

Care to explain the logic behind homosexuals being a protected class?

Also, you DO realize that homosexuals have only been a protected class since the Windsor decision. right? So, do you want to answer the question or keep your fuzzy supreme court bully slippers on?
The Windsor decision said nothing about sexual orientation being a protected class (FYI: homosexual wouldn't be a protected class - "sexual orientation" would be the protected class).

Sexual orientation still is not a protected class under Federal anti-discrimination laws.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The Windsor decision said nothing about sexual orientation being a protected class (FYI: homosexual woudln't be a protected class - "sexual orientation" would be the protected class).

Sexual orientation still is not a protected class under Federal anti-discrimination laws.
Uhhhh...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/12-307

Quote:
DOMA is unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment. Pp. 13-26.
(a) By history and tradition the definition and regulation of marriage has been treated as being within the authority and realm of the separate States.
Quote:
Its operation is also directed to a class of persons that the laws of New York, and of 11 other States, have sought to protect.

Quote:
Subject to certain constitutional guarantees, see, e.g., Loving v. Virginia, 388 U. S. 1, “regulation of domestic relations” is “an area that has long been regarded as a virtually exclusive province of the States,

Quote:
But the Federal Government uses the state-defined class for the opposite purpose—to impose restrictions and disabilities. The question is whether the resulting injury and indignity is a deprivation of an essential part of the liberty protected by the Fifth Amendment, since what New York treats as alike the federal law deems unlike by a law designed to injure the same class the State seeks to protect.
Quote:
By seeking to injure the very class New York seeks to protect, DOMA violates basic due process and equal protection principles applicable to the Federal Government. The Constitution’s guarantee of equality “must at the very least mean that a bare congressional desire to harm a politically unpopular group cannot” justify disparate treatment of that group.
Quote:
DOMA’s avowed purpose and practical effect are to impose a disadvantage, a separate status, and so a stigma upon all who enter into same-sex marriages made lawful by the unquestioned authority of the States.
Quote:
It frustrates New York’s objective of eliminating inequality by writing inequality into the entire United States Code.
Quote:
It contrives to deprive some couples married under the laws of their State, but not others, of both rights and responsibilities, creating two contradictory marriage regimes within the same State.
Sexual orientation is a protected class under the 5th and 14th Amendment. They just did it through a sweeping decision rather than a specific one...

But anybody with a modicum of objectivity knows EXACTLY what they were doing.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,112,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Uhhhh...

UNITED STATES v. WINDSOR | LII / Legal Information Institute

Sexual orientation is a protected class under the 5th and 14th Amendment. They just did it through a sweeping decision rather than a specific one...

But anybody with a modicum of objectivity knows EXACTLY what they were doing.
No, you're wrong.

"Protected class" refers to classifications that are protected under statutes. "Protected class" refers to statutory protections, not constitutional protections.

Federal civil right laws define several protected classes: race, religion, national origin, sex. Congress determines protected classes, not the judiciary. Windsor had nothing to do with Federal Anti-Discrimination Statutes and had nothing to do with making sexual orientation a protected class under them. The Supreme Court does not have the power to do that.

Suspect classes refers to classifications that are afforded Constitutional heightened protections under the 5th and 14th Amendments. Suspect classes are afforded strict scrutiny; quasi-suspect classes are afforded intermediate review; and all other classes are given rational review.

The Supreme Court has never held that sexual orientation is either a suspect or quasi-suspect class. In Windsor, the Court held that DOMA didn't even meet the lowest, rational basis standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies