Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,404,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
thats 100% true, but my argument was that Obama has been demonized by the right in a way that Reagan never was. You were attempting to refute that, and you failed(im not even trying to sound mean).

Do you honestly believe the 2 were in the same position ?
I was around then. I remember it. The comparisons with Bonzo. The gnashing of teeth when he broke the air traffic controllers union. The remarks about the actor in the White House.

People did like Reagan more in general but that was because he was a positive president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 02:53 PM

30,269 posts, read 18,830,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
FACT: The labor participation rate is about the same as when Reagan took office.

FACT: The main thing driving the lower labor participation rate is that baby boomers are retiring and thus exiting the labor market.

You can try to pretend that baby boomers getting old and retiring is a partisan thing but the reality is it would be happening no matter which party is in power. The labor participation rate has been decline since the year 2000. We knew this was coming for decades, there is a demographic bulge which is entering their retirement years, Bush Sr was talking about it coming way back in the early 1990's and it finally hit us. It's just a mathematical reality and no amount of stupid partisan games will change it. The only way to make the old folks keep working is if they're so financially insecure they feel they have to but I, for one, am happy that the elderly can retire with dignity. I guess that's just me though judging by the posts of the right wing nutjobs.

1. The labor force participation rate was low when Reagan took office, as Carter had ruined the economy, just like Obama. Of course, Regan began was of the greatest recoveries in US history. Obama has made a weak economy even worse.

2. Baby boomers retiring? Gee............ That should be a good thing, as it would "open up" jobs for all of the unemployed. Of course, this is not happening. Keep in mind that baby boomers were retiring during the Bush administration, but that did not seem to effect employment numbers then.

Wake up- Obama is an economic disaster who has brought all the destructive forces of liberalism to the economy. Who in their right mind would think that raising taxes, increasing regulations, and increasing the cost of business (Obamacare and higher energy costs) would improve the economy? I guess the same idiots who elected a community organizer to the White House!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,495,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

1. The labor force participation rate was low when Reagan took office, as Carter had ruined the economy, just like Obama. Of course, Regan began was of the greatest recoveries in US history. Obama has made a weak economy even worse.

2. Baby boomers retiring? Gee............ That should be a good thing, as it would "open up" jobs for all of the unemployed. Of course, this is not happening. Keep in mind that baby boomers were retiring during the Bush administration, but that did not seem to effect employment numbers then.

Wake up- Obama is an economic disaster who has brought all the destructive forces of liberalism to the economy. Who in their right mind would think that raising taxes, increasing regulations, and increasing the cost of business (Obamacare and higher energy costs) would improve the economy? I guess the same idiots who elected a community organizer to the White House!

Thank You hawkeye, for summing it up. We use to travel all over different States for our business, not anymore. But when talking to people and clients, they had a much different story to tell, then that of the White House.

Pretty much, people take your pick for a State, had given up trying to find a decent paying job with good benefits. No that is not BS, don't believe in that. It is reality, like it or not!

Pretty much decent hard working people who lost their jobs under Obama's leadership no other Preisdent, had given up. Anyone can say they have a job, but when you lost a great job that you were on for ever, and made a decent pay with decent benefits, you want that again.

Obama is a economic disaster, inspite what he says. He says a lot of things!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,287,032 times
Quote:
FACT: The main thing driving the lower labor participation rate is that baby boomers are retiring and thus exiting the labor market.
Which should open opportunities for younger people to replace them.

Obviously that isn't happening.

Why?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 AM

30,269 posts, read 18,830,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Which should open opportunities for younger people to replace them.

Obviously that isn't happening.

Why?

Yes- This is the obvious flaw in the liberal contention that baby boomers retiring is causing the marked increase in the number of unemployed and the lowest work force participation since Carter. If the baby boomers are retiring, and thus leaving their jobs, there should be MILLIONS of jobs available for the unemployed................................ yet there are none.

Obama is an economic disaster that not even the most partisan liberal can defend any longer. One does not create-

1. the lowest work force participation rate in 37 years
2. record numbers of citizens unemployed
3. record numbers on foodstamps
4. record numbers of citizens living in poverty
5. record numbers of citizens on social security/disability
6. lower average wages (except for the top 2%)
7. record debt

...and expect the nation to turn a blind eye and praise a failed president. If the nation, as a whole, desires a lower standard of living and poverty, then Obama has been great. However, most citizens want to be prosperous and have a secure financial situation- Obama has robbed them of that goal.

One does not "spray Roundup" on the economy through higher taxes, more regulations, and added business costs and expect prosperity to somehow miraculously occur despite these actions. Are libs so dense that they do not understand this? If not, do they simply favor "gay marriage" over their own economic security and that of the nation?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM

37,962 posts, read 17,961,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was around then. I remember it. The comparisons with Bonzo. The gnashing of teeth when he broke the air traffic controllers union. The remarks about the actor in the White House.

People did like Reagan more in general but that was because he was a positive president.
I think there was less negative press then. Plus now more people have access to information.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,277,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
thats 100% true, but my argument was that Obama has been demonized by the right in a way that Reagan never was. You were attempting to refute that, and you failed(im not even trying to sound mean).

Do you honestly believe the 2 were in the same position ?
Has Obama earned praise? His practice of lying often, doesn't help either. His my way or the highway approach to reaching across the wise seems to be failing and finally the finger pointing and excuse making only serves to make him look worse than he really is.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,606,282 times
Higher unemployment means higher government dependence whichmeans more Democrat voters.

This is all by design.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 PM

79,909 posts, read 44,404,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I think there was less negative press then. Plus now more people have access to information.
Yes, that is probably true.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,661,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

People liked Reagan more because he wasnt demonized. Look at what you just posted. An actual decision Reagan made that people disliked him for.

As a random person why they dislike President Obama and they wont name a policy or an actual action by him, they will tell you something about him being "unamerican" or some crap like that. And no, im not basing this opinion on this board, im going by real world experience working on campaigns.

There are people on the right and left who have legitimate grips with the president, but a lot of stuff is just made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies