Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 12:48 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
When I delivered pizzas in high school, I don't ever remember being tipped by blacks or Indians (Gandhi not Tonto) which is terrible because I used gas and had to cover wear and tear. My best tip was from a Mexican group of some kind. It was a 30% tip on an order that was like 20 pizzas which is a few hundred dollars! Muy bueno!!!

For people that don't tip or are terrible tippers without reason, I hope you have the common sense to not go to the same restaurant twice. They probably won't throw your food on the ground and or spit on it, but there are other things they can do. Having been in this industry, I tip what is due. Bad service=5%, Ok service= 15%, Good service=20%, and Great service=25%.
Personally, I don't know why the Blacks and Indians you ran into were bad tippers. I don't know why. I never paid attention to it. I can only speak to what I do as a Black man.

Oddly enough, I used to work as a server. I only remember one time when I got bad treatment from a Black customer. A female who left without paying. Other than, never had any issues from Black customers. I don't remember one Black customer who never tipped or tipped poorly, other than the female who left without paying. The worst tippers I ever got were old people, mostly elderly Whites. Best tippers were the college-age groups who ordered alot of alcohol, and men with their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting to see this thread. My daughter has been working as a server, and she said she has discovered this. For example, a black family came in, ordered dinners, they were very nice to her, she asked if everything was OK and they seemed to really enjoy their dinners--and then they left her ten bucks on an eighty-dollar bill. She says this sort of thing has happened enough that she now knows that when she sees black people seated, she should expect that they will stiff her on the tip. (She also says it's guaranteed that they will order their steaks well-done, lol, but that's neither here nor there, just an amusing note.) It's not a cheap restaurant, so it's not as if these are people who won't spend good money on their food. I wondered if black people also stiff black servers or if not tipping properly was just a way to stick it to whitey (I've been in situations twice where black store clerks ignored me until all the black customers were waited on first even though I was ahead of them on line--I guess they got some sort of gratification out of that) but from this thread, it seems as though that's not the case.
She should consider herself fortunate she got $10 out of them.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:51 AM

150 posts, read 173,672 times
Blacks, in general, tip poorly, if at all.

But for that at least I salute them. Tipping is a ridiculous custom. Employers should pay their employees.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
When I worked food service I noticed that my black customers more often than not tipped less. It did p*ss me off. But, what can you do? I also had black customers that would over tip as well. No one ever has a whole night of people stiffing you though. I always came out ok in the end. Boy am I glad I no longer work food service.
Exactly. I just took the "L" and kept it moving, it all worked out in the end. I also concur about no longer working in food service, lol.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
When I delivered pizzas in high school, I don't ever remember being tipped by blacks or Indians (Gandhi not Tonto) which is terrible because I used gas and had to cover wear and tear. My best tip was from a Mexican group of some kind. It was a 30% tip on an order that was like 20 pizzas which is a few hundred dollars! Muy bueno!!!

For people that don't tip or are terrible tippers without reason, I hope you have the common sense to not go to the same restaurant twice. They probably won't throw your food on the ground and or spit on it, but there are other things they can do. Having been in this industry, I tip what is due. Bad service=5%, Ok service= 15%, Good service=20%, and Great service=25%.
Indian nationals have the excuse that in India, the tip is included in the price of the food. And I remember being told by a white friend who'd been a waiter in an Indian restaurant (and a cab driver, he'd worked many different jobs in his life), that at Indian restaurants in America, the owners pocket the tips but give their waitstaff a higher hourly wage. What they do nowadays, I don't know.

As to your Mexicans, well most likely they worked in the restaurant industry also as waitstaff and delivery drivers. So they know how much a good tip is appreciated. And 20 pizzas is a big order requiring several trips back and forth from your car. Maybe you arrived faster than expected. Maybe they were celebrating good news at their party. Some of the best group tipping I ever saw was at a private dance party at a Marriott Hotel in Boston on Thanksgiving night thrown by some Chinatown restaurant association. So all the guests had waiter and bartending experience themselves and the party was the big annual event for them. They were buying rounds of drinks for their tables and giving the staff huge cash tips. And the same night... there was a smaller dance party of African Americans in the adjoining ballroom... and their tipping style was a $1 here and there or nothing at all.

Anyone who has ever worked as a waiter or bartender tend to be good tippers, unless the service is really bad. Yes, there are many blacks in the food and beverage industry, but if they work in fast food like at a McDonalds,well that's not a tipped position. And having a tip cup at the register is not the same as working tables.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
(She also says it's guaranteed that they will order their steaks well-done, lol, but that's neither here nor there, just an amusing note.)
Yup. That's been my experience also. They need to have their beef really well done, which is a shame because that makes the meat really tough and chewy.

Come to think of it, I never see blacks in sushi restaurants either.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 AM

88,565 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the way I look at things. I am responsible for me. When I am in a restaurant, I will tip based on the service I get. Good service, good tip. That is what I do. If some other persons who are Black tip poorly, to be perfectly honest, there is nothing I can do about that. I can only be responsible for myself in that aspect. I honestly don't know why some Blacks tip poorly. I never asked, I have never been curious as to why. In fact, for a long time, it has never been anything I've thought of, until someone actually brought it up.

The way I see it, what I do is my responsibility. If I tip badly, hold me, and only me, responsible. The way I see it, the next person coming along has not proven to be troublesome. Why should that person have to "prove himself/herself" in order to get approval?
Speaking only for what my daughter has told me, she and her coworkers don't mistreat or provide lesser service to black customers. They'd get fired. There are corporate rules and protocols the servers must follow for ALL customers. It's just that when they see a black party coming in for dinner, they are prepared for the likelihood that they will be poorly tipped. Sometimes they are proven wrong, and they are happy to be proven wrong, obviously. But they still must provide the same level of service because if they don't, the customers will complain whether they are decent tippers or not, and the server will get into trouble or lose his or her job.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:

That's what I was wondering. Do these people who stiff the servers then return to the same restaurant?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yup. That's been my experience also. They need to have their beef really well done, which is a shame because that makes the meat really tough and chewy.

There was a whole thread in the Food forum last year about this. For most of us, a steak well-done = RUINED. But there are people, and not just black people, who think it's perfectly fine to cook a steak until there's not a touch of pink left in it. And when they are paying for that steak, they can have it that way.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

And yet, in my experience, if I notice someone having their steak overcooked it is usually a white person. You never see blacks in a sushi restaurant, and I never see Chinese people at any of our nearby sushi bars, does that mean anything more than anecdotal evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies