Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
https://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/...act-13851.html

It's not perception it's reality.

Yup some of the servers at the restaurants I worked at would pay off the hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. They often did this towards the end of the month when they needed to make rent.

I've often suspected that the inability of Black patrons to tip decently impacts the decisions of restaurants locating in Black areas. This was a common complaint from PG County residents.
I find it ironic that conservatives say democrats have started a race war, when here you are starting a thread about AA's not tipping well. Why the heck would you start a thread about this. It's really disturbing and hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not surprised to see an immature response. I've said something you disagree with it. And as much as there is disagreement with my statement, there is no attempt to refute my statement. Rather than to refute my statement, or at least put up a proper counter-argument, the typical response is a crass remark. Usually, making a crass remark, a foolish joke, or an insult is a sign of an evading a topic.
I'll give it a shot - and I think you know I'm not a racist.

Here's my perspective - I don't know if some white people use this sort of example in order to "vent" their anger toward black people. There are probably a few - but there are probably just as many racist people from other groups who do the same thing. Not saying it's right - just saying there are some really angry, passive aggressive people out there. Thankfully, in my experience THEY'RE a minority.

I'll tell you what I think is MORE common in today's society among people 50 and under, and that's that people sometimes feel compelled NOT to complain, or "write up," or discipline, or hold accountable, or hold to the same standards, etc minorities BECAUSE they're afraid they'll be labeled as racist -sometimes with legal and/or workplace ramifications. This is a very serious thing.

People shouldn't be afraid to question, to seek understanding, to enter into a discussion, to be curious about, whatever, a group of people because they're likely to have the race card thrown in their face.

That being said, I do think that many people are too quick to privately (or in a small circle, or on an anonymous internet forum) blame peoples' actions on their race, rather than their character. They're too flippant about it - and I think THIS is the reaction that's rooted in anger, not the questioning or discussing actual trends (like this thread - apparently it's TRUE that overall, AAs tip less than other groups - and the same by the way can be said of "after church" crowds on Sunday - of any color).

Yes, it would be frustrating to have people expect the worst from you simply because of the color of your skin. I know a bit about how this feels - at age 48 I was promoted into a position that company wide was predominately filled by younger white guys, most of them unmarried and with no kids. So here I was - a middle aged woman with grandkids -and I guess to them I was positively ancient. They automatically assumed I wasn't tech savvy (I am), and that I was closed minded (I'm not) and that I was the matronly type who collected recipes and went to church every time the doors were open (not me). It was very frustrating to put up with their snide, underhanded sense of superiority. You can imagine their surprise and dismay when I outperformed them consistently.

So I can sort of relate to how you would be irritated by false assumptions. I think most people can, if they think about it.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Well, two things.

It might be associated with one's financial standing and how many people they might have to support. Me, even before the inheritance, I tend to be a good tipper, 20-30ish%. In similar situations.......I was buying wine today and believe they mischarged me from what their display said and what they charged me at the counter; I don't buy $14 bottles of an unknown Chardonnay. But all I did was tell the manager to check his display; I wasn't going to bother over a loss of a few dollars. Either A or B to that in that a few dollars is not that important to me or when it comes to tipping, I know how important a few dollars can be to someone.

And then there is the second thing. A lot of my friends are Carnies. A lot of them are bartenders and the like in the off season. I know what a tipped based income means to them. So I tip decently, either are festivals or in restaurants, knowing that these people are people like my friends. But does everyone go around in life having friend circles like that?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, two things.

It might be associated with one's financial standing and how many people they might have to support. Me, even before the inheritance, I tend to be a good tipper, 20-30ish%. In similar situations.......I was buying wine today and believe they mischarged me from what their display said and what they charged me at the counter; I don't buy $14 bottles of an unknown Chardonnay. But all I did was tell the manager to check his display; I wasn't going to bother over a loss of a few dollars. Either A or B to that in that a few dollars is not that important to me or when it comes to tipping, I know how important a few dollars can be to someone.

And then there is the second thing. A lot of my friends are Carnies. A lot of them are bartenders and the like in the off season. I know what a tipped based income means to them. So I tip decently, either are festivals or in restaurants, knowing that these people are people like my friends. But does everyone go around in life having friend circles like that?
I think so. I've never been a server, but I have friends and family who have or have been bartenders.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,988,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyThere1 View Post
Why am I not surprised that blacks do not tip well? When I went to college I took a job as a waiter at a restaurant and I would hate it when I had to serve a group of blacks. First they were rude and second I knew they were not going to tip well.
And plenty of white people are also rude. Why does this have to be a black thing? Are other ethnic groups extra friendly?

Ugh! I am not surprised. Illogical thinking from an illogical thinker. Did you ever maybe think it was the place you were working?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Why am I not surprised that blacks do not tip well? When I went to college I took a job as a waiter at a restaurant and I would hate it when I had to serve a group of blacks. First they were rude and second I knew they were not going to tip well.

Wow, you automatically assumed they would not tip well because of their color. Have you ever thought that you sucked as a waiter and therefore they didn't tip you well

Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Wow, you automatically assumed they would not tip well because of their color. Have you ever thought that you sucked as a waiter and therefore they didn't tip you well
I concur. You went into the the situation thinking they tipped badly and they were rude, and your actions most likely reflected that. Therefore, you got what you wished for (or thought of).

Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Only to you was it funny. If it was me and I had to deal with that, I wouldn't find it funny at all.

I have a question, and a straight answer is required. If a straight answer cannot be provided, it would be better not to answer. What did you hope to accomplish by making fun of that person?
Wow.....lighten up.

It was funny to me.....at the time....and now.

According to the reps I had on that post a few others enjoyed it.

"What did you hope to accomplish"????

Nothing.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Nope it was a cultural thing and all Asians, Hispanics and Whites I served were mostly civil and actually tipped well. Blacks are just crappy tippers and this study proves my real life experience. Truth hurts.
I never said they weren't. But anyone can be a bad tipper. And where does RUDE come into play?

Last edited by nj21; 08-30-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,906,345 times
Are you sure this is not a class issue, rather than race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies