Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Ta Nehisi Coates posted this on his blog. He has been on a tirade lately in light of his article on reparations.

Martin Luther King Explains 'Reparations' | www.majeofficial.com - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Blacks were eligible under Lincoln's 1862 Homestead Act.

He has a point, but the time to give blacks land was during reconstruction. That time has passed.

I wonder if this is out of context, MLK Jr. often talked of cashing in a check or promissory note - as in fulfilling the Declaration of Independence. It is possible he was referencing different ideas and a short snippet takes it out of context.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Lol...the usual MLK worshippers are avoiding this thread.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:57 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Blacks were eligible under Lincoln's 1862 Homestead Act.

He has a point, but the time to give blacks land was during reconstruction. That time has passed.
Why? Even if we put slavery aside, there are plenty of people alive that were harmed by discrimination in hiring, lending, missing out on promotions, and the like. In fact, that's a central part of what both MLK and Ta-Nehisi Coates said.

Quote:
I wonder if this is out of context, MLK Jr. often talked of cashing in a check or promissory note - as in fulfilling the Declaration of Independence. It is possible he was referencing different ideas and a short snippet takes it out of context.
No, he was pretty strongly in favor of actual money from the government, and exactly as in this clip, the simple argument was that white people had been receiving government help the entire time, and specifically denying such help to black people. It's central to the creation of the white middle class, the lower crime rates in white communities, and so forth - and thus worked to drain wealth away from black people.

Which is why I laugh when white people talk about how black people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps - why, when they never did?

Old 06-14-2014, 04:51 AM

52 posts, read 112,155 times
Reparations?

Nonsense from the gimme gimmes. White people never pulled themselves up? Blow it out your...

I know plenty of dirt poor white people who joined the army, took advantage of the GI Bill (available to whites and non-whites) and, through hard work and perseverance, went on to live upper middle class lives.

Some lazy people will always want a(nother) hand-out and will convolute all sorts of cockamammy schemes as to why they think they deserve yet another. And another. And another. Gibs me another. And another. And another. And another. And...

When is it ever enough for these people?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:00 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Our welfare system has provided enough reparations.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Poor People's Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

King was no conservative. Neither was Kennedy. Neither was Nixon.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxinRearvyew View Post
Reparations?

Nonsense from the gimme gimmes. White people never pulled themselves up? Blow it out your...

I know plenty of dirt poor white people who joined the army, took advantage of the GI Bill (available to whites and non-whites)
I'd say that that's a research fail on your part. The GI Bill was, in fact, a major form of government benefit that was on no use to many black people still alive today, including black veterans, due mostly to long-standing practices of banning black people from colleges (private and public) and housing (which is why black people outside of the south were forced into crowded ghettos).

You walked right into that one.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Our welfare system has provided enough reparations.
Nope - in fact, that's not even close to reparations - and really just another racist stereotype that relies on century-old "black people are lazy" stereotypes.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
He was right in this video and speach

BBC News - Martin Luther King: Americans shown 'lost' Newcastle speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Martin Luther King - University of Newcastle Upon Tyne

Well, it may be true that morality cannot be legislated but behaviour can be regulated. It may be true that the law cannot change the heart but it can restrain the heartless. It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me but it can restrain him from lynching me; and I think that is pretty important also. And so while the law may not change the hearts of men, it does change the habits of men if vigorously enforced, and through changes in habits, pretty soon attitudinal changes will take place and even the heart may be changed in the process.

Martin Luther King Honorary Ceremony - Congregations - Newcastle University

The Revered Martin Luther King's speech on receiving a Doctorate in Law from the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, England on the 13th of November, 1967.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-14-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies