Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
To each their own but life is too short to spend all of your time driving everywhere.
It does make you organized.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,309,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I own a house in a rural small town so I hope they will keep indulging their fantasies of living in a small town. A few retirees move to the area but not enough. A lot of homes are vacant, the schools arent that great and there arent enough jobs. Half the store fronts on main street are vacant and its not going to get better. When gas hit $4.00 a gallon in 2008 and the recession hit, it hit the town double hard because no one will buy a house with a 25-60 mile commute and housing prices fell in half.

People have told me what the town looked like in the 50's. They will talk about a town where the streets were clean and neat, people didnt let weeds grow, the mowed the yards, their was pride of ownership, etc. Most of the kids left over the years. Very few ever return even if they have the resources. SS, Medicare, Snap, Federal jobs, tourism, and outside school funding seem to be the main source of income. Its a Republican town but relying on these voters seem to be a fools game for Republicans. Many in my town will be dead in 10 years.

One conservative area that has been successful area is the panhandle in Idaho that has attracted a lot of conservative retirees who have built nice homes. Most retirees really arent interested in moving into a small town that is struggling and with housing that needs a lot of work. A recent fire near here wiped out 50 homes. Only 10 home owners rebuilt the rest took the money and left.

The Republican Party's Fatal Attraction To Rural America - Forbes

I don't care where anyone lives I am merely pointing out this mass delusion of conservatives that 76% say they prefer small towns and rural a areas, when in fact they don't because they don't live there.

Rural and small towns represent cultural markers for conservatives. It has nothing to do with actual rural and small towns.

Liberals actually live in the places they say they prefer. That means when liberals say they like walkable cities and blah, blah, blah it's based on their actual lives.

76% of conservatives saying they prefer rural and small towns has nothing to do with the lives of conservatives.

conservatives consistently suffer these mass irrational collective delusions that have no basis in reality.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
If enjoying living 17 miles out of Yosemite is your idea of delusional I think YOU have a problem, not me.
Why?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
No, being practical is not delusional.

I may be conservative but I'm not rich and I don't have the luxury to live where my heart desires and still be able to provide for my family.
This is largely due to the economic conditions in the state I used to live in, as opposed to any type of difference in city vs rural.

Knowing that and doing what I have to do now, while at the same time working towards being (or in my case, going back to) where I would prefer to be does not make me delusional or a hypocrite.........it makes me a realist.

Conservatives know how to plan and save for what they want, be that a big condo in the city or the farm house they grew up in.

Whats so delusional about that?
You really think my post was about you personally? Please think, 76% of conservatives saying they prefer rural and small towns is not about one poster. It's about the collective delusions of conservatives claiming they prefer something that they don't actually live. It is yet another fantasy.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:39 AM

29,632 posts, read 16,616,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Seems about right considering that liberals on here tend to hail from the Northeast, while conservatives all seem to post from Flyover Country. California and Pennsylvania are the weird exceptions where you find both types of posters on here
Im a Liberal living in the Largest geographical county in Alabama, and the reddest by votes.

I like my space, but I also would like to be able to walk to town and have all of what i need in one area rather than having to drive around a geographical area the size of the entire island of Manhattan.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:59 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,121,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You really think my post was about you personally? Please think, 76% of conservatives saying they prefer rural and small towns is not about one poster. It's about the collective delusions of conservatives claiming they prefer something that they don't actually live. It is yet another fantasy.
I don't care if you're talking about me personally or not.

But you seem to be working very hard to make some imagined partisan point that no one cares about.
Not all Conservatives are rich and not everyone has the means to live where they would prefer to live.

There is nothing delusional about admitting you'd rather be somplace else, no matter what your political persuasion.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,985,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im a Liberal living in the Largest geographical county in Alabama, and the reddest by votes.

I like my space, but I also would like to be able to walk to town and have all of what i need in one area rather than having to drive around a geographical area the size of the entire island of Manhattan.
I was the same as well. I used to live in the middle of Appalachia, and I'm a centrist, slightly center-left, then and now. I had a brief flirting with Paultardism for a few years, but I grew out of it 2 years ago.

Quote:
I don't care where anyone lives I am merely pointing out this mass delusion of conservatives that 76% say they prefer small towns and rural a areas, when in fact they don't because they don't live there.

Rural and small towns represent cultural markers for conservatives. It has nothing to do with actual rural and small towns.

Liberals actually live in the places they say they prefer. That means when liberals say they like walkable cities and blah, blah, blah it's based on their actual lives.

76% of conservatives saying they prefer rural and small towns has nothing to do with the lives of conservatives.

conservatives consistently suffer these mass irrational collective delusions that have no basis in reality.
I've noticed this too. Rural America represents 16% of the population, so where do all of these conservative voters came from that gave us the tea party, Bush, etc.? Definitely not rural America, so it must be the suburbs. Yet, the tea party, Limbaugh, and Fox News idolize the conservative tradesman from Podunk, Ohio population 1000. Why? Why is rural life idolized on the right? Rural life is not all its cracked up to be. Lot of drug abuse and poverty in rural America. I think a few conservatives on here, if I remember right, also claimed that welfare use among rural whites in the South is low, because they are self sufficient. More than blacks, who also make up a huge percentage of the Southern rural population. Please!

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 06-16-2014 at 05:03 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,353,594 times
Quote:

As do you liberals, tucked away in your rural outposts in the blue state of Vermont. That's why this poll is ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,983,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Makes sense to me. We just built a big house on a big parcel way out in DC suburbia and we shutter to think that anyone could consider "being able to walk to Walgreens" an attractive amenity in home buying. Gag!!
Actually, I find walkability, or at least short drivability, an advantage.

Quote:

Oh, please. Living choices are a result of many different factors-where the job is, what one can afford, etc, for liberals and conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
As do you liberals, tucked away in your rural outposts in the blue state of Vermont. That's why this poll is ridiculous.
Best post of thread.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,265,238 times
The only city I would consider living in is Halifax, Nova Scotia. I have a vacation condo there and the city is spectacular, very friendly people.

Otherwise, I prefer living where I currently am. Outside a small town in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies