Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We live 35 miles from town.

BTW....just how are McMansions and big yard selfish???

They put money into the economy.
Well, that made me laugh!

They are not selfish. They are only selfish if a liberal lives in one.

The liberal is wasting natural resources by having to drive everywhere.
The liberal is wasting natural resources by keeping said mcmansion heated in winter and cooled in summer.

The conservative lives in a mcmansion and wastes the same amount of natural resources but it doesn't count, because they are conservative.

(conservative thought process)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Pretty much. Their entire reality is delusional.

Yep, same here. I might do a suburban home one day but I really like urban life.

Yup. I couldn't dream of having to drive to work every day. What a waste of my time and money. I love my bicycle. I own a car for social reasons mainly.
I grew up in NYC. Can't really get more dense urban than that.
But the masses of people got to me. I needed room.
And suburbia was too stepford for me with too many rules and regulations.

So I went semi rural and then rural.
Being on a septic forces you to watch the water you use.
Not being in an HOA means you can let the grass go dormant when water levels go down.
Being further out means I stock up when shopping and make sure I get everything in that first trip because there is no "let me run down to the corner store" like there is in suburbia.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had 6 acres, a tractor and chickens and goats and was 20 minutes to work in Austin, TX.

I now have 45 acres, chickens, donkeys and cows and am 45 minutes from College Station, TX.

And I guess I'm about to go out to mow some of my "mass delusion" this afternoon

What can I say..I like peace and quiet and need my "elbow room".
I didn't know you were the example of most conservative voters, guess all those suburbs are full of liberals.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, that made me laugh!

They are not selfish. They are only selfish if a liberal lives in one.

The liberal is wasting natural resources by having to drive everywhere.
The liberal is wasting natural resources by keeping said mcmansion heated in winter and cooled in summer.

The conservative lives in a mcmansion and wastes the same amount of natural resources but it doesn't count, because they are conservative.

(conservative thought process)
I do not see either conservatives or, liberals as selffish for having nice things.......if they pay for them.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't see where I wrote anything to contradict what you wrote. So that's not in dispute. What is the topic for me is that despite conservatives living all over America, they seem to suffer this mass delusion that they prefer rural or small towns when the vast overwhelming majority clearly don't live in those places.

It is very weird.
If you look at any recent election map, it's quite obvious who likes what, and if they claim they like rural and small town, that notion is easily backed up.
Then there are the suburbs. They do like suburbs which is where a majority of them live.
Suburbs are the closest thing to small-town and rural as they can get and still be within reasonable distance to most jobs.
I lean conservative on most issues, but shockingly prefer cities and am bit of a planning/zoning geek. Hey, if unions could shed the thuggish image, corruption, and the obsession with one-party rule (an abusive party who takes them for granted nonetheless), I'd be totally on board with those. I've had jobs where I thought, "we have GOT to organize to fight this authoritarian clown"... See? Broad brushes suck.
One reason I'm not a fan of most southern areas: They are horrible at building good, interesting, and livable cities.
As a right-leaning person, I also like wide-open countryside (not the kind where you have a house every half-mile), and at least the idea of small towns, but I don't like living in a gossip chamber.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Give me rural living over both McMansions and urban areas.

Urban areas tend to be restrictive and McMansions tend to have strict HOAs, in the country I have almost total control over my land.

I agree-

I have a big ass house. However, I prefer my farm, as there is a calming effect of looking over miles of land without buildings ruining the view. You can do whatever the hell you want (shoot guns out of home windows, romp through the boonies with tracked vehicles, plant gardens, ect....) without any intereference from anyone else.

As far as urban living, I would prefer a smaller house with amenities much closer. However, when one leaves a few large urban areas on the east coast, such a situation means "ghetto". If there was availability of nice, safe, urban housing with no lawncare duties and nearby amenities, I would certainly choose that option. That "urban option" in most instances precludes safety and lack of crime, making that choice less favorable.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree-

I have a big ass house. However, I prefer my farm, as there is a calming effect of looking over miles of land without buildings ruining the view.

As far as urban living, I would prefer a smaller house with amenities much closer. However, when one leaves a few large urban areas on the east coast, such a situation means "ghetto". If there was availability of nice, safe, urban housing with no lawncare duties and nearby amenities, I would certainly choose that option. That "urban option" in most instances precludes safety and lack of crime, making that choice less favorable.
There are nice streetcar suburbs available in major cities all over the country, not just the northeast. Unfortunately, they usually cost a pretty penny.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
I agree-

I have a big ass house. However, I prefer my farm, as there is a calming effect of looking over miles of land without buildings ruining the view. You can do whatever the hell you want (shoot guns out of home windows, romp through the boonies with tracked vehicles, plant gardens, ect....) without any intereference from anyone else.

The description of your farm sounds like the same description a pot farm would look like.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The description of your farm sounds like the same description a pot farm would look like.
Pot farms here just look like fields of sun flowers.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
I agree-

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
LOL, hawk eye can't even have a place that sounds really nice and a dem says it sounds like a pot farm. Surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies