Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Nashville murders per capita was approx 6.4 in 2013 and NYC was approx 4.0. bobtn, what are the rates per capita when it comes to the other crimes you left out, i.e, "rape", "robbery", murder, "gang violence", "prostitution"?
Not readily available, but I'm sure Nashville is worse on several also. We're a prostitution trafficking center (a fav stop for Mexicans to run ops with illegals).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So in other words, you have no idea what you are talking about beyond what Hollywood tells you NYC is like. When was the last time you took a walk through Park Slope? If you had done that then you would know what I am talking about.

Funny thing about that list of yours, all of those things happen in non-urban places as well.
I live for fashion week in NYC.

And then go back to the woods.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Let's get something straight here OK? You can't double talk me . It's beyond debate that all those criminal behaviors I mentioned occur at exponentially higher rates in urban areas when compared to less densely populated rural areas.

Furthermore, I don't need Hollywood or you to tell me what NYC is like. I've been there many times. It's a fantastic city, and I have had some great times in the city. Nevertheless, as with all densely populated areas, crime is rampant compared to rural living, and that's a fact no matter what BS LIBERAL IDEOLOGUES wish to promote as the truth..

Perhaps the most important driver of such high crime rates is income inequality and poverty, which go hand in hand with dense urban development, made worse by leftist social policy which grows poverty rather than eliminating it.

And this isn't rocket science .... when you take groups of extremely wealthy and desperately poor, and jam them together in densely populated confined space, it's altogether predictable, and inevitable that crime rates skyrocket.

Throw in for good measure, the constant antagonist elements of race, gender, sexual orientation and class warfare baiting that leftists have honed to a fine art ... the outcome is societal strife, distrust and anger constantly brewing.

This is the utopia for which the fractured minds of the liberals espouse, ignoring reality in so doing.
NYC has remarkably low crime rates, especially for violent crimes. That wasn't always true - but Rudy Guliani had a big role in improving NYC's crime rates. NYC is less safe than Austin, but much safer than Houston or Dallas. NYC is the standout though for large cities. Chicago, LA, etc. are not so special.

I am no fan of dense urban living. I like some space, not only between me and my neighbors, but just space for me to enjoy my hobbies. I like visiting fun walkable cities, but after a week or two, I want out.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:26 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Curious thing in this thread is that the most common example thrown up for urban and walkable communities is Manhattan. We have spent 60 years of not allowing denser developments outside of downtowns in this country that concrete canyons of high rise apartments, or poor tenements, has become synonymous with "urban." Alexandria, VA; Chestnut Hill and the Mainlines of Philadelphia; and the East End of Pittsburgh are all extremely walkable, denser areas with excellent transit options, and are mostly single family homes on tree-lined streets.

Personally I think more people would prefer that type of built environment if they ever had the opportunity to truly experience it. Unfortunately, large lot zoning regulations and unconnected subdivisions have made that model a thing of a bygone era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't know what the problem is. People have their preferences.

America .. the land of the free

uh huh
Quoted for truth.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I live for fashion week in NYC.

And then go back to the woods.
Ah, so you just visit NYC to see the fall colors.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Curious thing in this thread is that the most common example thrown up for urban and walkable communities is Manhattan. We have spent 60 years of not allowing denser developments outside of downtowns in this country that concrete canyons of high rise apartments, or poor tenements, has become synonymous with "urban." Alexandria, VA; Chestnut Hill and the Mainlines of Philadelphia; and the East End of Pittsburgh are all extremely walkable, denser areas with excellent transit options, and are mostly single family homes on tree-lined streets.

Personally I think more people would prefer that type of built environment if they ever had the opportunity to truly experience it. Unfortunately, large lot zoning regulations and unconnected subdivisions have made that model a thing of a bygone era.

Quoted for truth.
Canadian cities seem to do a good job of that sort of neighborhoods. Single family homes within walking distance of retail and transit.

My neighborhood is dense, for single family homes, and quite liberal. It's not always true, but overall, probably is.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Let's get something straight here OK? You can't double talk me . It's beyond debate that all those criminal behaviors I mentioned occur at exponentially higher rates in urban areas when compared to less densely populated rural areas.

Furthermore, I don't need Hollywood or you to tell me what NYC is like. I've been there many times. It's a fantastic city, and I have had some great times in the city. Nevertheless, as with all densely populated areas, crime is rampant compared to rural living, and that's a fact no matter what BS LIBERAL IDEOLOGUES wish to promote as the truth..

Perhaps the most important driver of such high crime rates is income inequality and poverty, which go hand in hand with dense urban development, made worse by leftist social policy which grows poverty rather than eliminating it.

And this isn't rocket science .... when you take groups of extremely wealthy and desperately poor, and jam them together in densely populated confined space, it's altogether predictable, and inevitable that crime rates skyrocket.

Throw in for good measure, the constant antagonist elements of race, gender, sexual orientation and class warfare baiting that leftists have honed to a fine art ... the outcome is societal strife, distrust and anger constantly brewing.

This is the utopia for which the fractured minds of the liberals espouse, ignoring reality in so doing.

??? Most poor people don't do crime; crime rates are low among the college-educated poor who probably live at densities similar to the uneducated poor. So what's with your rant?

Zoning is class warfare, and redistributes income upward.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Most poor people don't do crime; crime rates are low among the college-educated poor who probably live at densities similar to the uneducated poor. So what's with your rant?

Link???

Old 06-17-2014, 05:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:

Hmm, so you'd be okay with getting rid of zoning and letting the city build their sewage treatment plant next to you?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Class warfare? Three words: urban growth boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies