Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, let's take today as an example.
I got up, went to work, came home a little early and sat down with my family to watch soccer. We put on our Meico Jerseys, even though we are not Mexicans, we vacation there a lot so we have a collection of jersey's collected as souvenirs over the years.
Then we had dinner. Then we had a few friends over who are a homosexual couple, (we are not gay) We sat around and brainstormed some decorating and investment ideas (ie buying houses cheap, renovating and furnishing then reseling them)
We did this over tea and pastries.

Finally, I had to finish up some mail, make sure my NRA dues got paid as well as a monthly check to the local food bank charity (since we do not go to church, we have to contribute somewheres)

So what then, conservatives and liberals? You coming over next week ?

No thanks- I do not socialize, as I hate to go out in public in the town in which I live. I don't like to chat medicine with patients I may encounter and just want to be left alone.

1. watching soccer- okay- so do I. I used to play in high school and college.

2. Mexico is your favorite team? Okay- I like the Krauts (my high school coach was german so we played in thier style.

3. Gay couple? Okay- I don't care about anyone's sexuality. If people are interesting dinner guests, that is the most important thing. I, however, have found most libs to be very boring.

4. Decorating? Okay- unless you live in a cave, all of us "decorate".

5. Investment ideas? Okay- I tend to like buying farmland, but to each his own. I used to fix up old houses in high school and college for my "master". That part was entertaining, however, dealing with renters is a royal pain in the ass. Consider getting a firm to manage the property after you fix it up and you will have a more pleasant experience.

6. NRA membership? HELL YES! If you like, you could come to my house or farm and fondle my arsenal. I have MANY AR-15s (of many makes and tactical sights), AR-10s, M1 carbines, M1 Garands, K 98 Mausers, G 43s, G 41s, 1903 Springfields, Remington 700s (those pesky rascals with spontaneous discharge), Browning .30 cal belt feds, Lugers, P-38 Walthers, Modern Sigs (mostly .40 cal, but some 9mm and .45s), H&Ks (mostly .45s), Berettas (you name it- we have it), S&W .357s and .44 magnums, and a few Glocks (I hate them). We have several shotguns (mostly Benellis, but I love my "old man" Remington with a barrel about ten feet long).

7. Food Bank? Great! We do so as well.

8. No church? To each his own. However, I have found that people who do not believe in God will often not believe in anything (spouse, work ethic, ect). Liberals have replaced God with government; I tend to be suspicious of people who lack faith, as they are often "adrift" in life and have more difficulty when facing a crisis. However, I never talk about religion among friends, as it is a private matter. I have always found it very peculiar that in the South, people talk about religion like we talk about sports or hobbies- it is a common subject. Most Catholics (I found 30 years ago that Catholics are not well liked in the South, with the exception of Louisiana) keep religion to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:16 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No thanks- I do not socialize, as I hate to go out in public in the town in which I live. I don't like to chat medicine with patients I may encounter and just want to be left alone.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be left alone. There are times I want nothing more than quiet and a good book, and introversion is NOT a mental illness, no matter what the commercials tell you.

8. No church? To each his own. However, I have found that people who do not believe in God will often not believe in anything (spouse, work ethic, ect). Liberals have replaced God with government; I tend to be suspicious of people who lack faith, as they are often "adrift" in life and have more difficulty when facing a crisis. However, I never talk about religion among friends, as it is a private matter. I have always found it very peculiar that in the South, people talk about religion like we talk about sports or hobbies- it is a common subject. Most Catholics (I found 30 years ago that Catholics are not well liked in the South, with the exception of Louisiana) keep religion to themselves.
I have many atheist friends and we believe in everything...everything that is, which is tangible and real. We believe in all the things you mentioned, work, spouse, family, home , country which I especially love. All of those are real and valuable. Add education to that one, as well as personal and social responsibility.
I have no problem faces any crisis and do not need an imaginary friend to help with it. I also am a registered Democrat, and I have not replaced god with government. In fact, I have not replaced "god" with anything as the unreal needs no replacement. We do not believe in religions, as we see more harm than good in them many times, and we do not believe in imaginary beings, any more than we believe in Sasquatches or space aliens. But such things do have a place in cultural mythology, and we do believe in that, as a real phenomenon. And fascinating as well.

The point of my post is that people will not accept my invitation, NOT because they like to relax at home alone, but because they perceive something in which I believe or do not believe as threatening. And again, that in and of itself is not so much an issue, but when it it taken to extremes, such as doomsday preppers, conspiracy theorists or the overly political correct (like the Washington Redskin's mascot) Then I see a very unhealthy and dysfunctional society, all of which exists out of fear above all else.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 AM

15,091 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Crime rate is not skyrocketing in NYC, dear texan... in fact, it's still declining: and it's actually lower than Dallas, Houston, San Antonio's one.

But I guess conservatives are allergic to facts
Nah .... liberals are just unfamiliar with logic, and how statistics work.

Very large metro areas can, as the city's geographical jurisdiction expands out into the outlying suburbs (for increasing tax revenues) add a lot of low crime population numbers which improve the overall statistics of crime per 100,000, and, in keeping with the point being made relative to poverty driving crime rates, NYC is substantially better off financially than a place like Baltimore MD, which has a very high crime rate compared to NYC.

Also keep in mind that Baltimore's population is about 670,000, while NYC is 8,000,000+, so you can bury lots of bodies in 8 million, compared to less than 1 million. Simple math shows that 3% of 8 million is substantially higher than 6% of 670,000 ... but don't blow a brain fuse ... get a calculator, rather than claim that NYC might have half the crime of Baltimore ... that may be true from the per 100,000/crime number, but that's not the full story.

Perhaps the best example of this is Detroit ... high poverty=high crime. Poor people are more likely to commit robbery and murder than 6 &7 figure rich folks on Wall Street and 5th Avenue. This is just common sense ... another thing liberals are often unfamiliar with.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

Very large metro areas can, as the city's geographical jurisdiction expands out into the outlying suburbs (for increasing tax revenues) add a lot of low crime population numbers which improve the overall statistics of crime per 100,000, and, in keeping with the point being made relative to poverty driving crime rates, NYC is substantially better off financially than a place like Baltimore MD, which has a very high crime rate compared to NYC.

Also keep in mind that Baltimore's population is about 670,000, while NYC is 8,000,000+, so you can bury lots of bodies in 8 million, compared to less than 1 million. Simple math shows that 3% of 8 million is substantially higher than 6% of 670,000 ... but don't blow a brain fuse ... get a calculator, rather than claim that NYC might have half the crime of Baltimore ... that may be true from the per 100,000/crime number, but that's not the full story.

Perhaps the best example of this is Detroit ... high poverty=high crime. Poor people are more likely to commit robbery and murder than 6 &7 figure rich folks on Wall Street and 5th Avenue. This is just common sense ... another thing liberals are often unfamiliar with.
Conservatives seem to only like statistics when it is in their favor.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Liberals may say that they want walkability, but NOBODY is going to start building 45,000+ square foot grocery stores by the thousands in order to satisfy their delusional dreams of utopia.

Good luck with that!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Liberals may say that they want walkability, but NOBODY is going to start building 45,000+ square foot grocery stores by the thousands in order to satisfy their delusional dreams of utopia.

Good luck with that!
Not all grocery stores need to be that big and not everything needs to be in walking distance to make placed walkable. Do you go to the grocery store daily?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:51 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:

If you're going to compare absolute crime numbers I think you're the one who is bad at statistics. For one thing, that means that the US is far deadlier than every single state in the union. Not even sure how that makes sense.
Quote:

Good luck with that!
I have no idea what this means.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

??? I've never heard of "metro area" crime statistics; e.g. the numbers for NYC don't include the suburbs in Long Island and New Jersey, and the numbers for DC don't include anything in Maryland or Virginia.

Conservative George Gilder (Wealth and Poverty 1984) wrote that the highest correlate of crime is the "young single male" rate and not the poverty rate or anything else that has been quantified. A metric many look at is the rate of 18-24 year olds not employed and not in school. It's not married poor people or poor people in school who are on a crime spree.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:

Good luck with that!
Im not really sure what you are saying here.

Are you saying it isnt possible to have walkability ? Have you never heard of Lifestyle centers "Eat,Work, Play" ?

There are development companies all around this country building masterplanned communities that have all these things.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:

But the person you responded to didnt mention Baltimore, nor did they claim raw numbers were = ratios.

All He/She did was say the rate was not sky rocketing and that it was also lower than Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.

All things that are true. Heck, you are the one who brought up crime rates in the 2 post before that, so why are you attacking other people for simply following the "logic" you laid down ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies