Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Actually urban neighbors get what it takes to live in close quarters. They mostly MTOB.
I have found in the mcmansion planned developments in suburbia is where you find the nosey neighbors playing keep up with the joneses or the group of desperate housewives that gossip all day.
I agree with you that urbanites don't interact much with their neighbors. However, go to the urban planning forum and the urbanists there claim it is the suburbs that are that way, while the urbanists are getting together constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
I've lived in the capital of Queensland, Australia and the capital of Ontario, Canada. I've lived in big and small towns in five different countries. Now I live 30 minutes drive to the nearest town. It's a home on 1/2 acre but BLM land is five minutes walk from the house and I have endless thousands of acres of land to wander with my dog. The base of the mountains are 30 minutes drive in the opposite direction, and we are only a couple of hours from the largest wilderness area in the lower 48.

You need different things at different stages in your life. What was important to you when you were 20, then 30, then 40 and beyond changes. I've done the school, bar, yuppie coffee shop thing. I've done the "good schools and taking the boys to karate classes" thing. Now I'm doing the quiet life away from the towns and people that annoy me so much (and the camping, hiking, mountain bike, fishing), thing.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with you that urbanites don't interact much with their neighbors. However, go to the urban planning forum and the urbanists there claim it is the suburbs that are that way, while the urbanists are getting together constantly.
That sort of thing can vary greatly by city.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is subjective, I see people interacting with their neighbors all over New York City. In Portland, I would always stop and chat with my neighbors when I had time when I lived in the city.

If someone doesn't interact with others, that is their own personal choice regardless of where they live.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Why?
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. I thought you were basically claiming that conservatives are fantisizing about wanting to live in rural areas versus actually choosing to live there?

Last edited by toryturner; 06-16-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The only city I would consider living in is Halifax, Nova Scotia. I have a vacation condo there and the city is spectacular, very friendly people.

Otherwise, I prefer living where I currently am. Outside a small town in Montana.
I'm jealous.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had 6 acres, a tractor and chickens and goats and was 20 minutes to work in Austin, TX.

I now have 45 acres, chickens, donkeys and cows and am 45 minutes from College Station, TX.

And I guess I'm about to go out to mow some of my "mass delusion" this afternoon

What can I say..I like peace and quiet and need my "elbow room".

Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hubby likes to say..."pee off the porch"......

That is what he was doing when he was attacked by a humming bird...
Ha!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had 6 acres, a tractor and chickens and goats and was 20 minutes to work in Austin, TX.

I now have 45 acres, chickens, donkeys and cows and am 45 minutes from College Station, TX.

And I guess I'm about to go out to mow some of my "mass delusion" this afternoon

What can I say..I like peace and quiet and need my "elbow room".
It is futile .... you cannot expect rational thinking from the mentally I'll.

"Oooh ... I like walking and I can't imagine driving a car to work".

And this craziness about 3,000 per sq mile ? Out here where I am, it's probably about 50-100 per sq mile.

It's so much nicer to have say 5 acres, and your next door neighbors are 300 yards away instead of 20 ft.

I'm fine with allowing these loony toons who want to live shoulder to shoulder, but the problem with liberals always is, they want to force everyone to adopt their idiotic ideas.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is subjective, I see people interacting with their neighbors all over New York City. In Portland, I would always stop and chat with my neighbors when I had time when I lived in the city.

If someone doesn't interact with others, that is their own personal choice regardless of where they live.
Hahaha .... yes, New York City has a lot of urban interaction .... rape, robbery, murder, gang violence . prostitution ... all of those things that make urban life so wholesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies