Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:52 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,504,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Small housing doesn't have to be either disposable or subsidized. Where it comes to addressing the homeless it likely would be both.
Doesn't need to be either for my co-worker who lives in his car to be able to rent one. Not all homeless are unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Doesn't need to be either for my co-worker who lives in his car to be able to rent one. Not all homeless are unemployed.
They are a small portion of the homeless.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Five myths about America's homeless

Quote:
2. Most of the homeless have a severe mental illness.

Because the relatively small number of people living on the streets who suffer from paranoia, delusions and other mental disorders are very visible, they have come to stand for the entire homeless population -- despite the fact that they are in the minority. As a result, many people falsely concluded that an increase in homelessness in the 1980s resulted from the deinstitutionalization of psychiatric care in the 1960s and 1970s.
Quote:
3. Homeless people don't work.

According to a 2002 national study by the Urban Institute, about 45 percent of homeless adults had worked in the past 30 days -- only 14 percentage points lower than the employment rate for the general population last month. The number of working homeless would probably be even higher if "off the books" work was included. Whether scavenging for scrap metal or staffing shelters, many homeless people adopt ingenious ways to subsist.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
They are a small portion of the homeless.
Incorrect, see above post. It is nearly half.

The unemployed with mental illnesses is the minority.

Even if your claim was true, which it is not, it would still reduce homelessness.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Incorrect, see above post. It is nearly half.

The unemployed with mental illnesses is the minority.

Even if your claim was true, which it is not, it would still reduce homelessness.
I hate statements like this.

According to a 2002 national study by the Urban Institute, about 45 percent of homeless adults had worked in the past 30 days -- only 14 percentage points lower than the employment rate for the general population last month. The number of working homeless would probably be even higher if "off the books" work was included. Whether scavenging for scrap metal or staffing shelters, many homeless people adopt ingenious ways to subsist.

It means absolutely nothing. The unemployment rate would be different for those not homeless also if those who are "off the books" were counted. I do know quite a few "unemployed" that do fine off the books that are not homeless.

A generalization like "worked in the last 30 days" doesn't mean much either.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You said you would spend YOUR money investing in homes to rent.

Was that just talk???

I thought so.
Sorry kiddo, this is just a forum site, my business plans have nothing to do with city data. If you thought I was just gonna run out and start investing because of a city data post, you are horribly wrong.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I hate statements like this.

It means absolutely nothing. The unemployment rate would be different for those not homeless also if those who are "off the books" were counted. I do know quite a few "unemployed" that do fine off the books that are not homeless.

A generalization like "worked in the last 30 days" doesn't mean much either.
It means almost half of homeless people are employed and even more work odd-jobs. It isn't the only study to find that larger minorities of homeless people work for money.

You are just grasping at semantics, I have seen plenty of other sources that claim 1/3 to 1/2 of homeless people are employed in some way.

What I haven't seen is any evidence to back up your claim that only a very small minority of them work. The fact is your claim is false, half of homeless people work... deal with it.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 06-15-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 04:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sorry kiddo, this is just a forum site, my business plans have nothing to do with city data. If you thought I was just gonna run out and start investing because of a city data post, you are horribly wrong.
No...I thought no different.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:34 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
We have three Habitat homes in foreclosure near by.
Of the first 200 built in Memphis, about 40% went through some kind of bankruptcy filing. Habitat left the people with a house and an interest free house payment of $360 a month (including taxes and insurance) and many of the people took out high interest rate second mortgages and ended up losing their houses.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
No...I thought no different.
Then what was your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies