Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you hate public libraries because of taxes?
These days public libraries are pretty much obsolete. They have this little thing called "the internet", it and Amazon.com give you access to more books than your local library. You could readily close public libraries and let taxpayers keep that money to pay for their ISP.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If seeing such things should be a "right", then shouldn't those of us who can't hike long distances and can't ride a horse have an absolute RIGHT to have a road (even if it is just a Jeep trail) into the middle of a Wilderness Area so that we can exercise our RIGHT to enjoy the Wilderness?
How about the National Forests? Thousands of acres of National forest land are closed to me because of enviros demanding that the roads be closed. THEY STOLE MY LAND from me!
Now there is an idea I can get behind. I could pass on seeing many of overcrowded, commercialized places on the OPs list. However, the taxpayer should pay for my ATV, fuel and provide me with trails through designated wilderness areas.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
These days public libraries are pretty much obsolete. They have this little thing called "the internet", it and Amazon.com give you access to more books than your local library. You could readily close public libraries and let taxpayers keep that money to pay for their ISP.
Harrier was the happiest man alive when he discovered WorldCat.

Whenever Harrier travels he makes a point of visiting the local public library.

Why do you think that Harrier is the most dangerous man in America?

The cops have harassed Harrier several times while he was either reading a book or walking with a backpack full of books.

Harrier carries 5 library cards in his wallet.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I disagree, libraries are an important factor for cities and are not obsolete.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Call me Liberal,

But I think if this land is your land and this land is my land from California to the New York Islands from the redwood forest to the gulfstream waters

Then every American as a right through Govt should be entitled free of charge to see:

New York Statue of Liberty and Times Square and Wall Street
Washington Monument and Smithsonian DC
Chicago Wrigley Field
Golden Gate Bridge
Hollywood Sign in LA and Sunset Strip
Walt Disney World Orlando and Kennedy Space Center
Mount Rushmore in South Dakota
Grand Canyon Arizona
Yosemite and Lake Tahoe
Yellow Stone National Park in Wyoming
San Antonio Riverwalk
Bourbon Street New Orleans
Mall of America (Minnesota)
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
Las Vegas Strip
Colorado Great Divide
Pearl Harbor Hawaii
Alaska Denali National Park and Mt McKinley

I want every person in USA to see these things before they die. The way to make this happen would be to add a national sales tax but not in place of income tax. And make it a 15% sales tax.

Average US income is 30K somewhere and average person spends about what at least 10K a year when you include apartment rent, food, and gas? So 15% that on national sales tax that's $1,500 a year

Doing all this itinerary above could be packaged all into one $15,000 trip so 20-30 years of the new natl sales tax can more than cover it
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Somebody needs to cut back on the coffee. Since when are private enterprises required to let anyone through the front door free?

And I am a LIBERAL.
i agree with carterstamp. i am sorry but when did the term free enterprise, come to mean everything is free? i wont say what i want to call the OP, but it certainly isnt liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
This land is your land, this land is my land ......

Besides, it's not like those private enterpreneurs actually built it or something ......
yeah, walt disney didnt build disneyland and disneyworld, and the mall of america wasnt built by private enterprise

Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Well, OP, you managed to name several things that are free.

And I'll bet a lot of people are similarly in the dark. Hmmm....Some guy in a yellow vest could charge $10.00 a car to see the Continental Divide and rake in the cash.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-17-2014 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by carterstamp
Somebody needs to cut back on the coffee. Since when are private enterprises required to let anyone through the front door free?

And I am a LIBERAL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
This land is your land, this land is my land ......

Besides, it's not like those private enterpreneurs actually built it or something ......
Didn't I hear someone say that we private business owners didn't build that?

It was a shock when I discovered that I hadn't built any of my businesses. I'm still trying to figure out why I had to pay off a bankruptcy if someone else was to blame for my failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, OP, you managed to name several things that are free.

And I'll bet a lot of people are similarly clueless. Hmmm....Some guy in a yellow vest charging $10.00 a car to see the Continental Divide could rake in the cash.
What a great idea! Come on over to California, it's only $10 to see the San Andreas Fault :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with carterstamp. i am sorry but when did the term free enterprise, come to mean everything is free? i wont say what i want to call the OP, but it certainly isnt liberal.
More like a product of our public school system? Possible common core, where it only takes 14 steps to divide 3 into 12. Or maybe a progressive where everything should be free, like Google!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Call me Liberal,

But I think if this land is your land and this land is my land from California to the New York Islands from the redwood forest to the gulfstream waters

Then every American as a right through Govt should be entitled free of charge to see:

New York Statue of Liberty and Times Square and Wall Street
Washington Monument and Smithsonian DC
Chicago Wrigley Field
Golden Gate Bridge
Hollywood Sign in LA and Sunset Strip
Walt Disney World Orlando and Kennedy Space Center
Mount Rushmore in South Dakota
Grand Canyon Arizona
Yosemite and Lake Tahoe
Yellow Stone National Park in Wyoming
San Antonio Riverwalk
Bourbon Street New Orleans
Mall of America (Minnesota)
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
Las Vegas Strip
Colorado Great Divide
Pearl Harbor Hawaii
Alaska Denali National Park and Mt McKinley

I want every person in USA to see these things before they die. The way to make this happen would be to add a national sales tax but not in place of income tax. And make it a 15% sales tax.

Average US income is 30K somewhere and average person spends about what at least 10K a year when you include apartment rent, food, and gas? So 15% that on national sales tax that's $1,500 a year

Doing all this itinerary above could be packaged all into one $15,000 trip so 20-30 years of the new natl sales tax can more than cover it
Your title says free yet you want to tax. Why should I subsidize something I don't want to see?
Just another con game to steal money from me for your causes.

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

What a great idea! Come on over to California, it's only $10 to see the San Andreas Fault :P
Wanna go 50/50? If they actually experience a quake we'll slap on a surcharge! We can call it an "Experience Fee".

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they can, take off walking. you can see everything free
Exactly, just pack a back pack, hitch hike, ride freight trains, sleep under bridges, hell why am I not doing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies