Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 955,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This is why we send billions of our tax dollars to Israel every year, even though they don't need our aid. To fulfill a bronze age prophesy.

I hope many more organizations follow the Presbyterian church's lead.
No problem, Israel DOES NOT WANT OR NEED money from the US. Just be prepared when Israel, perhaps with the most advanced tech on earth, starts selling its wares to china, russia and other enemies of the US, that when we stop funding them - we'll have zero leverage over them.

Go look up "Lavi fighter jet" and israel-china radar jamming; the US was able to stop those programs/sales BECAUSE of its aid - when that aid stops, Israel will, like every other country on earth, protect its own interests instead of acting as a US vassal state - and will tell the US to "take a hike" the next time it asks for a sale to be dropped.

Adults understand the complex relationships at work here, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
No problem, Israel DOES NOT WANT OR NEED money from the US. Just be prepared when Israel, perhaps with the most advanced tech on earth, starts selling its wares to china, russia and other enemies of the US, that when we stop funding them - we'll have zero leverage over them.

Go look up "Lavi fighter jet" and israel-china radar jamming; the US was able to stop those programs/sales BECAUSE of its aid - when that aid stops, Israel will, like every other country on earth, protect its own interests instead of acting as a US vassal state - and will tell the US to "take a hike" the next time it asks for a sale to be dropped.

Adults understand the complex relationships at work here, do you?
Clearly they do want our money, otherwise they'd refuse it and go ahead with selling their tech to China. Apparently welfare from the US (and the protection from their neighbors) is worth more.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,202,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
AS a very committed Christian, all I have to say about this post is, "Complete nonsense".
You call the words of the Christian Bible nonsense.. God's word..God's word on Israel

2And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; 3And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." 4So Abram went forth as the LORD had spoken to him;
Genesis 12:3

New International Version
I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

New Living Translation
I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you."

English Standard Version
I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

New American Standard Bible
And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

King James Bible
And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Evangelicals aren't even in the top ten -- which is strange because I've known a number of Evangelicals, but I don't think I've ever met a Presbyterian -- I'm not sure they even have any church where I live.
Presbyterians are common in PA. Several of those churches in my part of the state, some of them host services in Korean and Japanese

Old 06-21-2014, 10:18 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,116,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Evangelicals aren't even in the top ten -- which is strange because I've known a number of Evangelicals, but I don't think I've ever met a Presbyterian -- I'm not sure they even have any church where I live.
From you posts it seems like you live in El Paso? If so, there are 7 Presbyterian churches where you live.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
From you posts it seems like you live in El Paso? If so, there are 7 Presbyterian churches where you live.
Yeah, I looked that up -- one I think is for Koreans. I don't believe I work with any Presbyterians but I was reading up -- most Presbyterians are at retirement age so that would make sense. I'm really surprised that in a town that is 90% Mexican or hispanic that there would be that many churches for Presbyterians. --- Learn something every day!

I've lived other places where I think there would be more -- but I still never knew any as far as I know. Maybe they hung around the country clubs or something and I didn't.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,736,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
AS a very committed Christian, all I have to say about this post is, "Complete nonsense".
You should read Ezekiel 38 and 39. It prophecies an attack by Gog (leader of Rosh, which is the land that is now Russia) and Persia, now Iran, on a restored Israel.

That may seem hard to believe, but the thought of a restored Israel would have seemed hard to believe 100 years ago.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM

1,744 posts, read 962,194 times
The Presbyterian Church (USA) is great at practicing selective outrage. I do not defend all of Israel's policies, but to single them out like this is another example of white liberal guilt. Israel is perceived to be a western nation, so naturally they are guilty of all the west's sins. The fact that the most barbaric regimes on Earth are all non-western doesn't seem to bother the Presbyterian Church (USA). There is certainly an element of western superiority to all this. After all, how can we expect brown heathen savages to act any differently?

In the long run, their action hardly matters. The Presbyterian Church (USA) has long been losing members. They are one of the fastest declining denominations in the country. Their older members are dying off and very few younger people are joining. Is it any wonder, when they spend their time in their General Assembly voting on divestment from Israel instead of trying to reach out to evangelize and grow their church?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,736,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
According to the Christian Post, it's the 8th largest denomination in the US:

1. Southern Baptist Convention: 16.2 million members
2. The United Methodist Church: 7.8 million members
3. The Church of God in Christ: 5.5 million members
4. National Baptist Convention: 5.0 million members
5. Evangelical Lutheran Church, U.S.A.: 4.5 million members
6. National Baptist Convention of America: 3.5 million members
7. Assemblies of God: 2.9 million members
8. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.): 2.8 million members
9. African Methodist Episcopal Church: 2.5 million members
10. National Missionary Baptist Convention of America: 2.5 million members

The 15 Largest Protestant Denominations in the United States
That list is not accurate any more. In Sept. 2013, PCUSA said they had 1.8 million members and were shedding fast. They lost 200 churches between Jan- Sept of 2013, many of which switched over to the more conservative Presbyterian group Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

And when the article was written, several more large multi-thousand member congregations in CA and MN had announced their intentions to leave PCUSA.

This article is from almost a year ago, so they are likely much smaller now.
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - News & Announcements - Who

We used to belong to a wonderful Presbyterian church that was part of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. Leaving that church was one of the hardest parts of relocating.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 06-21-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,116,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That list is not accurate any more. In Sept. 2013, PCUSA said they had 1.8 million members and were shedding fast. They lost 200 churches between Jan- Sept of 2013, many of which switched over to the more conservative Presbyterian group Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

And when the article was written, several more large multi-thousand member congregations in CA and MN had announced their intentions to leave PCUSA.

This article is from almost a year ago, so they are likely much smaller now. The PCUSA lost a million members from 2011 through Sept. 2013. At that loss rate, they are likely now down to under 1.4 million members and now out of the top 15.
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - News & Announcements - Who

We used to belong to a wonderful Presbyterian church that was part of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. Leaving that church was one of the hardest parts of relocating.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the Christian Post over represents the number of Christians in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies