Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,991,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? WTF good is that to someone who has no money and can't even participate in the game?
Technically, you CHOSE not to participate in the game.

From what you've stated, you and I started out pretty much the same.

I came from no money, and had to take out student loans for my education. The difference is that you actually graduated with a degree, while I went to a trade school and came out with knowledge but no piece of paper. I'm also a woman. So in reality, you are ahead of me at this stage.

I spent the next 30 or so years (because I believe we are about the same age) working hard and improving my skill set. The career I am in is ever evolving, and I have chosen to evolve with it. If I hadn't, I would be like many of my colleagues of the same age that have seen the digital age pass them by, all the while complaining that they can't keep up.

I wasn't born knowing the things I know. I have chosen to learn them. I didn't have a lot of extra money to pay for more education. In fact, I have not taken any classes or gone to any school since I left trade school so many years ago. All the skills I posses right now are self taught. I read, and explore the internet constantly, with the sole purpose being to improve my skills, making myself more marketable.

Again, I started out with no money. I left trade school with a student loan debt (from the college years that I still had to pay for), some rudimentary knowledge of my chose profession, a lawn chair and a sleeping bag (literally. I had a bike, but it was stolen while I attended school, leaving me at the mercy of my feet). I lived with roomates and slowly improved my lot in life. Along the way, I got divorced (he emptied out our joint savings when he left), and sold my house with absolutely no profit, but avoided foreclosure. At 45, I started out AGAIN with no money, but a determination to win the game.

I now have a good paying job, I am up to speed in my profession, and own my own home.

I CHOSE to participate in the game, and feel like I'm doing pretty good at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
??? I rent a ROOM in a house. I have four 'official' roommates plus several unofficial roommates including the resident drunk's friend and sex buddy who often stays overnight...the drunk's 30-yo daughter who stays over when she has a fight with her boyfriend...the drunk's trucker friend who slees on the couch when he's in town and not staying at his mother's. The drunk doesn't own the house he rents iit and then makes a bundle renting out the extra bedrooms (he doesn't have a job). (He seems to be good buds with the landlord who's cool with it.) The drunk causes an insane amount of drama especally with his live-in girlfriends. For quite a stretch he was fighting with his gf with her leaving (on her own or kicked out) three times a week, both were arrested for domestic violence twice. It doesn't help that I was raised by drunks and have PTSD. Sure, everythiing is an act of will with you, like I can just will myself a peaceful environment in which I can be productive, or will productivity in an environment of continual stress.
Sounds like you aren't real good at making wise decisions.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama told his supporters to HOPE that fact would CHANGE.

Ameriicans got change and lost hope.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 AM

19,854 posts, read 12,127,453 times
Quote:
??? I rent a ROOM in a house. I have four 'official' roommates plus several unofficial roommates including the resident drunk's friend and sex buddy who often stays overnight...the drunk's 30-yo daughter who stays over when she has a fight with her boyfriend...the drunk's trucker friend who slees on the couch when he's in town and not staying at his mother's. The drunk doesn't own the house he rents iit and then makes a bundle renting out the extra bedrooms (he doesn't have a job). (He seems to be good buds with the landlord who's cool with it.) The drunk causes an insane amount of drama especally with his live-in girlfriends. For quite a stretch he was fighting with his gf with her leaving (on her own or kicked out) three times a week, both were arrested for domestic violence twice. It doesn't help that I was raised by drunks and have PTSD. Sure, everythiing is an act of will with you, like I can just will myself a peaceful environment in which I can be productive, or will productivity in an environment of continual stress.
You are in a prison of your own making. Move. Simple as that. Are there bars on the windows and armed guards at the doors?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Top 1 Percent Spreading $60T Wealth But Not to You
Yes, the children and grand children of the baby-boomers will inherit trillions, and much of it will be spent on who knows what, but whatever they spend it on, it will benefit the economy as whole. Consumption is good.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-23-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_AZsuYU-w

Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
??? Did you read what I wrote? SFR in a single-family zone. It's not a prohibited use unless there is a specific relevant zoning provision. Zoning codes were written and adopted decades ago, were designed for a different time and family structure, and are slow to change. The downside of this for me is that zoning codes were written when the cliche family of four prevailed. The upside is that most zoning codes never contemplated the concept of unrelated individuals occupying a single-family house. A number of college towns have adapted their zoning codes to limit the number of unrelated individuals who can live in a house, but elsewhere such restrictions are not the norm.
In no instance are 4 or 5 non-related adults considered a family.

Don't like the zoning laws? Work to change them.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, I had humble beginnings too but anytime I try to post what I've learned I get trashed by the left. I've seen others post excellent post about it too and the left trashes them.
Me too. Called the dreaded "bootstrapper".

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sounds like you aren't real good at making wise decisions.

??? What decision wasn't wise? I had been renting a room elsewhere from a couple who renting to seven people in their home while desperately trying to avoid losing their home. They had a subprime mortgage to refinance their home to pay for the husband's several surgeries. His health went south fast (turns out he was also an alcoholic), he died and so did his income, the house was lost, everyone had to move. I moved into the only place I could afford to move into that was not a financial trap. Yes, if I had the luxury of a half-average income I would have picked a normal place to live.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
??? What decision wasn't wise? I had been renting a room elsewhere from a couple who renting to seven people in their home while desperately trying to avoid losing their home. They had a subprime mortgage to refinance their home to pay for the husband's several surgeries. His health went south fast (turns out he was also an alcoholic), he died and so did his income, the house was lost, everyone had to move. I moved into the only place I could afford to move into that was not a financial trap. Yes, if I had the luxury of a half-average income I would have picked a normal place to live.
Serious....there has to be a place for you as a fiction writer somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies