Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

I won't vote for her again!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It's frowned on.

Actually, I'm guessing English and Dutch people might be more aware of the origin. Although Dutch people might not be familiar with the idiom itself.
Yes I'm familiar with that saying being used over here...not in Holland. We just call it split checks not going Dutch but that sounds like the jokes that are going around.

In Holland we have cookies called Joden Koeken and translated it is called "Jew Cookies", Joden Vet and translated it would be something like Jew grease" and both are candy/cooky kind of stuff.

Than we have Neger zoenen which translated would be "negro kisses" and I wonder if that would be an issue over here but it exist for at least 50 years and nobody is making an issue of it but probably soon it will be an issue.

We have a December children's celebration called Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet. The last 2 words translated would be "black Piet" and all of a sudden after more than 100 years or something like that black Piet is now a racist thing to have while it was never an issue.

Black Piet was black because of the dirt from the chimney he is climbing down to pick up sugar and water/milk and a carrot for Sinterklaas his white horse (probably sooner than later the "white horse will no longer be allowed) and black Piet face got black from that....almost all kids love this celebration and no issues until last year when all of a sudden a lady needed attention and now is trying to boycott what was for a long time the common thing in December.

Schools are banning Christmas trees over there due to muslims making complaints and also the Holocaust is no longer discussed in histroy class to avoid objections from muslims.

What is the world becoming?

But when it is good for the goose it is good for the gander and not just for left wingers it is ok and not for any one else!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I had no idea that it was a racial slur until today.
Me either.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So "going Dutch" is a racial slur?

Wow that is a first time...I'm Dutch and we always saw that as a joke that we have like we have over there Belgium kind of jokes and jokes about Dutch people not wasting any money which can be seen as a compliment.
It's from the period when England and Holland were on unfriendly terms. There are a bunch of terms from that time based around the theme of Dutch being backwards, untrue, uncivilized. Going Dutch, Dutch auctions (an auction that starts high), Dutch metal (imitation gold), Double Dutch (gibberish), Dutch courage (courage gained by drinking), etc.

Of course, England has never oppressed Holland in the way that, say, European colonial powers have oppressed various minorities, so these terms don't have the same kind of power as more familiar racial slurs.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Talk about a stretch in an effort to smear the First Lady!
all it means is someone ripped you off, derived from the fact that most gypsies were swindlers. But being a gypsy was a way of life. You could be any nationality and be a gypsy, not just Romani people.

Though many Romani are offended by the use of the word. I just have not met one

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Me either.
Or me.
I do like the sound of Conservative heads exploding in the morning. It doesn't take much.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
all it means is someone ripped you off, derived from the fact that most gypsies were swindlers. But being a gypsy was a way of life. You could be any nationality and be a gypsy, not just Romani people.

Though many Romani are offended by the use of the word. I just have not met one
Roma children's bedtime stories say it's OK to steal. They were given permission by Jesus himself.
Canada slammed its doors shut to Gypsy immigration. Too many shoplifting rings, too many phony roofing and repaving companies.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Its not ok, but you also dont rule other people's lives.
No I don't rule anyone's life but my own and frankly I don't care what people of color call each other......just pointing out how hypocritical it is for blacks to call each other that, especially in today's ultra PC world because not only is it apparently socially acceptable, it actually celebrated in the music and media these days.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Not at all, my argument is that intent does matter, but once you learn the origins you stop doing it.

Your argument seemed to be that the women was purposefully using a racial slur.
I think that's exactly right, the intent is what matters.

When I was a kid growing up in the 1950s we used LOTS of words that today would be considered racist.
We just didn't know they were, and they had little meaning to us; they were just expressions.

"You gypped me!" says one kid to another kid.

"You're an Indian-giver!" says another.

"He jewed me down"; an expression used by older kids.

At the corner store there were penny candies in the shape of babies. The candies were black and we called them 'ni**er babies, as in 'gimme three ni**er babies and two jawbreakers'.

As I grew a little older (but still bought penny candy!) I stopped using that term and substituted the word 'black'. I had somehow learned that I should not use the former term.

As for the word 'gypped', I found out it's origin when I was an older teen. Only because I loved to read and probably read it in a book somewhere.

The big question when dating, of course, was 'are you going Dutch?' All it meant was that each person would pay for their own meal and/or entertainment.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
So according to you politically correct liberals Michelle should be booted out of the WH.

Look what you did to Sterling you ran him out of town.

First Lady Uses Racial Slur And Gets Away With It | The Daily Caller
No harm no foul. like Polish vs polish the 'g' was not capitalized.

When history is rewritten, as per MO's request, that line will be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies