Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Yes I would be upset, but I would not act like a disrespectful whiny idiot. The man should have calmly asked what happened, and then asked for the officers name. Then he should have went to the police station and talked to high ranking police officers. And if that did not work he should have talked to the police chief.

Police officers are here to enforce our laws and keep our families safe. And I honestly can't see how anyone could believe that kind of disrespect to our law enforcement officers is acceptable.
Maybe after the COP's entire family has been eliminated and his home burned to the ground he might gain some respect for the love people have for their pets, but I would not hold my breath. Psychopaths are incapable of empathy.

If any COP harmed my dogs, for any reason, I would make them and their family suffer for the rest of their miserable lives. If a COP harms my dogs while I am present, then that COP will share my dog's fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:08 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes - we should eliminate security and just let anyone walk onto planes with anything! It will no doubt work out well. And fortunately, America is not the enemy of terrorists world-wide.
There was airline security before the TSA.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:25 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Careless drivers often are prosecuted for criminally negligent homicide or similar offenses.

Could he have taken a less drastic action? Yes. He had no need to kill the dog. Killing a dog is a crime. Maybe you don't agree with that, but it is.
American cops are just making their presence known.

They used to be so lonely.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Whats more important,

It depends whom I love:

Someone's child, or a dog that I have raised as my child.

Please, show me some more scary pictures.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,991 times
Quote:
Everyone makes mistakes. Like doctors and nurses killing 100,000's of people a year with medical mistakes. Or airplane pilots making mistakes and killing their passengers. Or careless drivers killing 1,000's of people a year. And since police officers are (human beings) they also make mistakes.

The police officer was looking for a missing child, and he thought the child was in that backyard. The police officer was concerned for the safety of a child, and he killed a dog to carry out his duties.

Police officers need to kill dogs sometimes, and if you ever saw a video of dogs killing a person you would understand why. Police often need to enter properties instantly to carry out their duties, and when the choice comes to choose a humans life or a dogs life, the police choose to save the human life.

I love dogs more than most, but I would shoot any dog in the quest to save a child's life.
I will agree with you on one thing, he certainly DID make a mistake. Any cop who has ever responded to a missing child call knows, or should know the first thing to do is thuroughly search the child's residence.

What is it you know that the rest of us don't that caused that cop to think the missing child was in THAT back yard?

How was shooting and killing some one's dog in their own fenced and gated back yard "carrying out his duties"?

The bottom line is this cop just screwed up.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:02 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,531 times
I'm surprised by the number of posts/threads on blaming the human for self defense against dog attacks.

I like dogs, but I don't consider them as high as humans on importance.

When a person has to defend themselves against a dog attack, A DOG THAT CAN KILL, that person should not be punished for what they do to the dog to survive the attack.

Yeah, I know, some of you are going to FREAK OUT, CRY FOUL, ETC. But, hey, what's more important here?

Just to put things in perspective for all you over-pampered Americans that need to blame the cop, FedEx driver, etc; in some parts of the world, they eat dog to survive.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
What is it you know that the rest of us don't that caused that cop to think the missing child was in THAT back yard?
Anyone keeping a home protection dog is hiding something evil.

And, all dogs are home protective.

The most suspicious people in the world own dogs.

Most all of our presidents owned dogs.

Need I say more?

It is why Milt Romney didn't get elected, even though he abused his dog!

Obama didn't get a dog until AFTER he was elected president, because he's shrewd.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
I will agree with you on one thing, he certainly DID make a mistake. Any cop who has ever responded to a missing child call knows, or should know the first thing to do is thuroughly search the child's residence.

How was shooting and killing some one's dog in their own fenced and gated back yard "carrying out his duties"?

The bottom line is this cop just screwed up.
"Sir, do you have a dog in the yard?"
"Yes I do"
"Could you please restrain him while I check the yard?"
"Certainly" *goes to restrain the dog*

A 5 second exchange like that ^ could have prevented this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
I'm surprised by the number of posts/threads on blaming the human for self defense against dog attacks.

When a person has to defend themselves against a dog attack, A DOG THAT CAN KILL, that person should not be punished for what they do to the dog to survive the attack.

Yeah, I know, some of you are going to FREAK OUT, CRY FOUL, ETC. But, hey, what's more important here?

Just to put things in perspective for all you over-pampered Americans that need to blame the cop, FedEx driver, etc; in some parts of the world, they eat dog to survive.
Dogs don't kill unless they're loose, or a person such as this dirtbag places itself in a position where the dog can reach them. This pile of excrement murdered the dog in cold blood, because he was too lazy to ask one question. Is it "self defense" if a robber breaks into someone's house and shoots the occupants because they pulled a gun on the intruder? Frankly, I don't see why pets aren't treated in the eyes of the law as a child that's been killed. A child is legally incompetent, and so is an animal. A child can feel pain, so can an animal. A child doesn't necessarily know what's going to happen, neither does an animal. In both cases, a life is removed from the world that didn't need to be.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:

I like dogs, people in general not so much certain people I like more than dogs, but not as much as my dog, on the scale of where I place these things, it strongly depends on my attachment to the dog or the people. In my opinion, my human family comes first, my non-human family comes next, anyone I don't know, well if the choice is you or my cat or dog or even my goldfish, sorry, but the cat, dog or goldfish is coming out ahead.

People are not inherently more important than animals, they just have a larger ego that makes them believe they are.

Quote:
Did he need to defend himself because he was doing something that could not be done some other way? Or did he choose to put himself in that position and responded with the easiest solution? Was the kid in known danger? Did the kid need immediate rescue (clearly not from the back yard because the kid was not in the back yard)? How did the cop come to these conclusions, that the urgency was so extreme he could not wait for animal control to get there?

Consider, if a cop ran into someone's home without any identification or notification and started searching the place, and was shot at by the homeowner, but the homeowner was then shot and killed by the cop, that's more or less the same situation that happened from the dog's perspective. Would that action be acceptable behavior for the cop too?

Quote:
That's all dependent on your perspective. What's important to me is clearly not important to you, and vice versa.

Quote:
And to put it in my perspective, if someone ate my dog to survive, the next dog I owned would be eating parts of the guy that ate the last dog. If he was still alive at the end of it, then I suspect he'd not be eating dog again.

In some parts of the world they also eat people to survive, and chimps, and whales, and various animals eat people too, so is a man eating lion more valuable than just a lion because it eats people, is it more valuable than people because they're clearly it's prey? Eating something to survive is not the topic of the thread.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:52 AM

9,139 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:

This wasn't a dog attack.
The dog was minding his own
business in his own fenced in yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies