Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times

Advertisements

I hope they choose Columbus as well. More publicity, exposure, and more revenue for this old "rust belt" state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree that TX Republicans are a special shade of "nuts", but I think they chose Cleveland because they need to win Ohio to win the race. Similar to why the DNC chose Denver, needing to win Colorado, a swing state.
Nothing.more, nothing less.

Republicans can run Donald Duck, and he'd win Texas.

Republicans don't even need to waste time and money on Texas.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:19 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
...of Rick Perry and the insane Texas Tea Party.
You could not be more wrong. The GOP is completely obsessed with winning Ohio in 2016 and think this is what they have to do to win the state.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I honestly have no idea and I don't care. But this DFW resident is glad that the convention is not coming here. I can do without the extra hassle.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:34 PM

493 posts, read 640,099 times
It's more so that Cleveland is more prepared to host the RNC and has more hotels and restaurants and a good downtown, and because Ohio is important when it comes to politics.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Now that I think about it, Cleveland is punishment for losing in 2012. They may have a warning that if you lose in 2016, it's Detroit in 2020.

It doesn't seem like having a convention in a particular state affects that state's voting. I see that Cuyahoga Co. has been voting about 70% Demoncrat for the last several cycles, it would be interesting to see if that changes any.

If you really want punishment hold the GOP Convention in Indianapolis Indiana. It is the most boring place I've ever had to go to attend a national meeting of a scientific society!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The most interesting thing about this is that the Democratic city list is

Philadelphia
Phoenix
Birmingham
New York City
Cleveland
Columbus.

I doubt Philadelphia, Birmingham or NYC are in the running, so that leaves Phoenix and Columbus since Cleveland has now been eliminated.

im betting on Columbus.
How so? Is there a rule that the conventions cannot be held in the same city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You could not be more wrong. The GOP is completely obsessed with winning Ohio in 2016 and think this is what they have to do to win the state.
They have my vote whether they come here or not, provided the candidate isn't a real loon, and thus far, I like all of the potential front runners. Crossing my fingers for Rand Paul.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 PM

328 posts, read 471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
Cleveland was able to accommodate the event one month before Dallas. Alot of the money raised for the election cannot be spent until the nomination. This was a big factor in 2012 when Romney had it sewn up in May, but couldn't spend the funds until the convention, which was in August.
From the Times, which agrees with you:

"Republican committee staff, playing down the political implications of the choice, said the pick was a business decision that weighed which city could raise the necessary $70 million or so, and which would accommodate an early summer date."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/us...id=697866&_r=0

In order to secure the earlier date, the RNC is willing to gamble that Cleveland, which has $30MM pledged, will be able to come up with an additional $40MM. Dallas had $50MM of $70MM pledged.

IMO it's academic. Unless they're able to field a palatable candidate, Electoral College numbers do not favor them. I've studied politics for over 40 years, and Romney, with his almost-daily gaffes, was one of the worst candidates I've ever seen. Unbelievably, a number of Republicans are behind another Romney run in 2016. PLEASE.

The clown car they have so far, consisting of Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker and Chris Christie, has little chance. I have Jeb Bush up a notch, but am quite sure the country will find it hard to swallow another Bush. Not to mention his stands on education and immigration are not exactly popular within the Republican party, Establishment or Tea Party wings.

Extreme/fringe/dark horses (no chance): Rick Santorum, Sarah Palin, Donald Trump.

The country is changing almost faster than we can keep up. And it will continue to do so. The Republican party must change as well, or cease to be a viable, national party. The keys are Hispanic voters, women and the youth vote.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Smart move, Ohio is a swing state.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
If you really want punishment hold the GOP Convention in Indianapolis Indiana. It is the most boring place I've ever had to go to attend a national meeting of a scientific society!
They don't call it "Naptown" for nothing.

I just saw John Kasich on the news going on about how he got the RNC to pick Cleveland blah blah blah, but Cleveland is where his democratic challenger is from so he needs this in the worst way.

I hope the democrats have their convention in Columbus, it's the least the two parties can do after bombarding us with ads every four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies