Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:47 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times

Advertisements

It's a Fat World, After All...

Quote:
If there's a sadder commentary on the state of American society, we can't think of it -- we've grown so fat we sink the boats of It's A Small World...

the boats routinely bottom out under the weight of super-sized riders, bringing the popular ride to a grinding -- literally -- halt. That's increased the wear and tear on the fiberglass boats, which have been in use since the ride opened during the 1964 World's Fair, when Americans, on average, weighed 25 pounds less than we do today...

Employees -- Disney calls them "cast members" -- have been aware of the issue for some time now and so discretely leave empty seats in boats carrying heavy riders. But backups persist, and in some cases no one realzes there's a problem until boats stop emerging from the ride.
Yikes. Is this a signal that America is in decline...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
And people like myself have to pay for the mistakes of poor choices with higher prices and broken ride. I want a bailout.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

I would say it is one of many signals. . . The biggest health related issue in years to come will be the obesity epidemic. Over nutrition, too many choices, and a sedentary life style.

Maybe Disney should make It's a Small World a walk through "ride." It would solve their problem with bottoming out boats, and maybe help reduce the customers bottom line!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Maybe Disney should make It's a Small World a walk through "ride." It would solve their problem with bottoming out boats, and maybe help reduce the customers bottom line!
But I like riding in the boats. I have memories!

Like, the time a storm knocked out the power but the back-up power was accidently cued to the music and puppets rather than the boats. Three hours of "It's a small Word".

Maybe Disney (and other theme parks) should do what Airlines are doing - charging extra for whose waists expands X inches. Many theme parks have special seats designed for obese people - however, I've seen a large number of people who can't even fit in those. It holds up the line, embarasses the workers....

Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

I don't know about decline but it is certainly a sign that we as a people are just fat.

Maybe they will come out with a 3-D version on the Wii ?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 PM

626 posts, read 993,292 times
I wonder if Disney will impose a weight limit for that ride, now. Can you imagine the scene that would occur due to forcing some people to step on a scale? I could see certain overweight people getting especially belligerent.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:18 PM

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
But I like riding in the boats. I have memories!

Like, the time a storm knocked out the power but the back-up power was accidently cued to the music and puppets rather than the boats. Three hours of "It's a small Word".

Maybe Disney (and other theme parks) should do what Airlines are doing - charging extra for whose waists expands X inches. Many theme parks have special seats designed for obese people - however, I've seen a large number of people who can't even fit in those. It holds up the line, embarasses the workers....
Somehow I don't think charging extra would go over to well with the Mousehouse crowd!

I think the only thing they should be charged more for is insurance premiums. And the same for smokers! I think that might really impact people and if they think it is going to affect their pocket books maybe they will make some serious lifestyle changes.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
I wonder if Disney will impose a weight limit for that ride, now. Can you imagine the scene that would occur due to forcing some people to step on a scale? I could see certain overweight people getting especially belligerent.
Somehow I don't think that humiliating people is the way Disney wants to operate.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Well, the ride is supposed to be overhauled soon with stronger boats. I imagine they'd do something like a passive scale, or a scale buried in the floor that feeds data back to a control room, or to a console for Disney guides, so that the guides will know when to cut off the line for the next tour group.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
I am sad to hear this. Has been my favorite since I was a little girl. And is the first ride I go to when I revisit! Don't think I would sink a boat yet though!! Am sure Disney can come up with a solution, maybe double lined fiberglass!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies