Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times

Advertisements

Not this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
People don't understand what the slippery slope fallacy is.
People are using it in common layperson's terms. This isn't a rhetoric or philosophy forum, so it's totally appropriate because it's being used to signify argumentum ad consequentiam .

Quote:
It's ONLY a fallacy when one uses it to reach an illogical conclusion, such as legalizing gay marriage will lead to more car accidents.
Reductio ad absurdum.

Quote:
The slippery slope argument is NOT a fallacy when it's used to reach a logical conclusion, if I smoke I will get lung cancer.
That's science or episteme. There isn't a rhetorical proof to disprove that.

Quote:
That's a slippery slope ARGUMENT, not a slippery slope FALLACY. There's a difference depending on how it's used, therefore one cannot always automatically play the slippery slope fallacy card in an attempt to dismiss an argument.
What is being discussed on this thread is politics, which is most often about what is probable rather than true. As George Will states, “All politics takes place on a slippery slope.” Because political arguments have as much to do with what is good/bad as what is right/wrong, values often determine what is considered a fallacy or argument, hence why such a distinction is seldom useful in this kind of forum.

Quote:
It is a logical conclusion to argue that violating the definition of marriage will allow other groups to enter into "marriage" as well. Why do people support gay marriage? They believe it's a right (it's actually not, marriage beyond the definition is not a right). "Love is love" they say. Why do they support homosexuality? They say "it's normal because people are born that way" (despite being no proof for that), "animals do it, it's natural" (they are deliberately misinterpreting things). "Jesus never said anything about homosexuality, therefore it's not a sin" (Jesus never mentioned cannibalism either, that doesn't make it okay).

This same "logic" that is used to justify gay marriage and homosexuality can be used to justify incest and ploygamy. "Love is love, who are YOU to tell me I can't marry multiple partners!? It's my right!" "Polygamy and incest happen in animals, it's normal." "I was born that way! I just feel a natural desire to sleep with multiple people or my siblings, it's not a choice. Therefore my actions are justified." "Polygamy and incest have been recorded in ancient societies, it's totally fine." "Jesus never said anything about polygamy or incest, therefore it's not a sin." "If you disagree with my polygamist/incest lifestyle you're a bigot!"
Mostly the naturalistic fallacy, although things like the invocation of "Jesus never said anything about polygamy or incest" purposefully indulges in a fallacy as a response to the ongoing fallacy that "because it's in the bible" . . . Once again, this gets into enthymeme.

Quote:
Eventually if our culture wishes to go down this route, they will try to "normalize" it just like they are trying to "normalize" homosexuality. We are a society of people who base what is right and wrong solely on what they feel, and "normal" on what they want. Not what ACTUALLY IS right and wrong, and what actually is normal and abnormal according to God and Nature. There is a mentality that exists among many in our culture today who believe that morality is subjective. It's not.
You just tried to challenge what you consider to be a naturalistic fallacy (e.g., genetics, animals) by invoking a naturalistic fallacy (God's natural law) that you, of course, think is not a fallacy but an argument, and hence proved my point that the distinction that you attempted to make with your post is not in the least bit useful here.

Nice job.

Last edited by helenejen; 07-12-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Republican

Eventually if our culture wishes to go down
this route, they will try to "normalize" it just like they are trying to
"normalize" homosexuality. We are a society of people who base what is right and
wrong solely on what they feel, and "normal" on what they want. Not what
ACTUALLY IS right and wrong, and what actually is normal and abnormal according
to God and Nature. There is a mentality that exists among many in our culture
today who believe that morality is subjective. It's not
Your deity is irrelevant to me, but since you brought up nature......in nature it's normal for animals to eat their young.
Pass the BBQ sauce.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Two brothers indulging in sex with each other is as gross and sickening as it gets, huh?
Mac Davis from North Dallas Forty has a better one. But thanks for the visual

Old 07-12-2014, 02:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Who do you think is going to have to provide the funds to run the sanitariums, hospitals and or other care required by the flipper and or mad offspring that are the products of relations between proscribed affinities?
The same ones who provide for those with unhealthy lifestyles. Should we punish overweight people too? As far as the amount of money, I'd make an educated guess and say it will be miniscule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Leaving aside the serious moral issues religions and society are correct in prohibiting consanguinity in that it breeds physical and mental deformities. If it goes on long enough will turn a line into idiots that eventually will go extinct. Anyone who breeds animals and or studies the same knows the harmful effects of inbreeding intentional or otherwise.
Why bring up morals when it comes to government? Government and society are two different things with two different roles

Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Pedophilia will be legal too.. Nambla is going the way of the Homosexuals as for acceptance.. The men want to have sex with boys and say if it is consenting , it is no ones business if I have sex with a child. America is being spoon fed sleaze daily on shows like The View and other liberal talk shows.. there is nothing that can't be said on tv today.. they talk about anything and it is packaged up as comedy or matter of fact.. God help the kids who hear this .. it is gross the garbage American people accept today. Yet if one says homosexuality is an abomination in God's eyes, then the media attacks them... such as the Duck Dynasty star.

In the last days, Good is bad, and bad is good.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Pedophilia will be legal too.. Nambla is going the way of the Homosexuals as for acceptance.. The men want to have sex with boys and say if it is consenting , it is no ones business if I have sex with a child. America is being spoon fed sleaze daily on shows like The View and other liberal talk shows.. there is nothing that can't be said on tv today.. they talk about anything and it is packaged up as comedy or matter of fact.. God help the kids who hear this .. it is gross the garbage American people accept today.
C.O.N.S.E.N.T.I.N.G. A.D.U.L.T.S. What about this do people like you fail to understand?

Quote:
Yet if one says homosexuality is an abomination in God's eyes, then the media attacks them... such as the Duck Dynasty star.

In the last days, Good is bad, and bad is good.
Bring on the theocracy!!!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
C.O.N.S.E.N.T.I.N.G. A.D.U.L.T.S. What about this do people like you fail to understand?

Bring on the theocracy!!!

They will lower the age of an adult.. to two years old... the boy at age two can speak and say yes! How sick can society get.. really sick!!!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 PM

610 posts, read 699,218 times
The slippery slope has been occupied by the U.S. populace for a LONG time now...

Why shouldn't incest be lawful? It's nasty, to be certain, and God knows I'd never even consider engaging in it. And I probably wouldn't want to be around people who did. But how is "Look, if you commit incest, we'll kidnap you, put you in a cage, and take your money to the tune of whatever 'fine' we determine to be fit" any better?

Americans fail to distinguish between that which is MORAL, or ACCEPTABLE (socially) and that which is LEGAL. Just because it's bad doesn't mean we should let the government take our money or put us in cages.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
They will lower the age of an adult.. to two years old... the boy at age two can speak and say yes! How sick can society get.. really sick!!!
Oh well I didn't realize that was also going to happen too!!!!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Pedophilia will be legal too..
Maybe if the Catholic Church, the FLDS Church, Islam, or some other conservative religious faction gains political influence pedophilia will become legal, but as long as society gets more progressive it won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies