Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I rather curious at how my ability to use real data to forecast societal and political trends makes me a bigot.

Please do explain.

As I have said repeatedly, I do not care what people or say or do in their lives. Until they infringe upon others right to do the same.

Being outspoken against intolerance is not being a bigot. Was Gandhi a bigot? MLK Jr. (or Martin Luther King in Germany for that matter)? The Colonists who spoke out against a tyrannical king? Nelson Mandela? All those around the world who fought against the chains of inequality?

I think not.
Old Glory said nothing verging on bigotry. You disagreed with his viewpoint and decided to use the broad brush of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,693 times
Default Buchanan Warns: America Could Break Up; Obama successfully destroying America.

Old Pat seems to be desperate for attention. Has anyone heard from him since 1992?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
Quote:
Learning languages=non-communication? Well I suppose I learn something new everyday. Yes the Spanish speakers should learn English too, obviously.

The majority of the countries around us speak Spanish. That's reason enough to learn it. My family is European and most people I know speak at least 3 languages, not to accommodate other people, but because they recognize the use of it. So given every country near us except Canada speaks Spanish, well, there you go.

Secondly, de facto does not mean de jure. Your point is moot. I'm a millenial, most people I know took at least two years of Spanish in high school. Everyone I know uses Spanish lingo in their speech regularly (Gracias, Denada, etc) and this is in the lower Midwest. Many studied abroad too. A night out on the town I will bet I hear at least 3 languages.

This is the new America, Old Glory. And despite your ranting and ravings you can't do anything to stop it. The game's over. The country is too diverse to go back to your grotesquely stepfordesque lilly white fantasy of America. The party you support, so long as it envelops itself in a bitter cloak of homophobia and xenophobia will continue to lose elections by bigger and bigger margins. Within 50 years the supreme court will be liberal. Reforms already started in states like Florida to end GOP gerrymandering will cause Republicans to lose control of the house. Soccer will continue its meteoric rise to prominence (Baseball and Football participation numbers among American youth are rapidly dwindling. MLB TV ratings are free falling according to CNN). The only place your cherished version of America will live on is in the South, a region who's political influence will be rapidly diminished as Texas turns blue and the Midwest, East, and West unite against it.
Great post and so true. Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Learning languages=non-communication? Well I suppose I learn something new everyday. Yes the Spanish speakers should learn English too, obviously.

The majority of the countries around us speak Spanish. That's reason enough to learn it. My family is European and most people I know speak at least 3 languages, not to accommodate other people, but because they recognize the use of it. So given every country near us except Canada speaks Spanish, well, there you go.

Secondly, de facto does not mean de jure. Your point is moot. I'm a millenial, most people I know took at least two years of Spanish in high school. Everyone I know uses Spanish lingo in their speech regularly (Gracias, Denada, etc) and this is in the lower Midwest. Many studied abroad too. A night out on the town I will bet I hear at least 3 languages.

This is the new America, Old Glory. And despite your ranting and ravings you can't do anything to stop it. The game's over. The country is too diverse to go back to your grotesquely stepfordesque lilly white fantasy of America. The party you support, so long as it envelops itself in a bitter cloak of homophobia and xenophobia will continue to lose elections by bigger and bigger margins. Within 50 years the supreme court will be liberal. Reforms already started in states like Florida to end GOP gerrymandering will cause Republicans to lose control of the house. Soccer will continue its meteoric rise to prominence (Baseball and Football participation numbers among American youth are rapidly dwindling. MLB TV ratings are free falling according to CNN). The only place your cherished version of America will live on is in the South, a region who's political influence will be rapidly diminished as Texas turns blue and the Midwest, East, and West unite against it.
When you have a country full of people all speaking different languages yes that is akin to non-communication. Unless you believe that Americans should learn a dozen different languages? Get real, will you? This country belongs to its citizens and our language is English. Don't like it then leave.

New America (whatever that is) doesn't mean we should have to learn all the unassimilating foreigner's languages. What part of assimilation by foreigners to us don't you understand? The fact is that the only language being pushed in this country is Spanish and that is directly due to illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries. Most Hispanic-Americans know English so we already have that language to communicate in.

This isn't about race or skin color but retaining our identifying culture and language. So you know where you can stick your race card with your "lilly white America" remark . A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. There is no fear of strangers but to expect them to assimilate into this country is neither a rant nor a rave. We have always been a melting pot while still having an identifying culture and language. If someone doesn't want to be a part of the melting pot then there's the door>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Move to a country where your culture and language are the identifying ones then.

Your insinuations and insults are duly noted. I have no further need to communicate with you. Bye.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
It wouldn't kill Americans to know more than one language. Two languages is good to know.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When you have a country full of people all speaking different languages yes that is akin to non-communication. Unless you believe that Americans should learn a dozen different languages? Get real, will you? This country belongs to its citizens and our language is English. Don't like it then leave.

New America (whatever that is) doesn't mean we should have to learn all the unassimilating foreigner's languages. What part of assimilation by foreigners to us don't you understand? The fact is that the only language being pushed in this country is Spanish and that is directly due to illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries. Most Hispanic-Americans know English so we already have that language to communicate in.

This isn't about race or skin color but retaining our identifying culture and language. So you know where you can stick your race card with your "lilly white America" remark . A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. There is no fear of strangers but to expect them to assimilate into this country is neither a rant nor a rave. We have always been a melting pot while still having an identifying culture and language. If someone doesn't want to be a part of the melting pot then there's the door>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Move to a country where your culture and language are the identifying ones then.

Your insinuations and insults are duly noted. I have no further need to communicate with you. Bye.
Sir you and your types will see that the USA is much more than you sate. Learning a foreign lanuage won't hurt anyone at all and will most likely make them more worldly. Did you read this by Mark Twain?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

― Mark Twain, Mark Twain: The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sir you and your types will see that the USA is much more than you sate. Learning a foreign lanuage won't hurt anyone at all and will most likely make them more worldly. Did you read this by Mark Twain?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Has it ever occured to you that Old Glory just might be bilingual? Or that he might be more well traveled than you? He responded to a poster who accused him of bigotry. Give him a break.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Has it ever occured to you that Old Glory just might be bilingual? Or that he might be more well traveled than you? He responded to a poster who accused him of bigotry. Give him a break.

What republican around here ever gave anyone a break? I have only responded to what he said.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
What republican around here ever gave anyone a break? I have only responded to what he said.
I agree that the tone around here has gotten nasty today. People on another thread calling Michelle Obama a pig, etc. But Old Glory was simply stating what he believes, not trying to throw bombs.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,496 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to the 3rd world south of the border?

If so tell me, do want that world and is countless flaws and failures in this nation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies